PDA

View Full Version : Fuel rating vs. Programming

CRUZTAKER
02-19-2004, 06:20 PM
When I had Dennis reprogram my Diablo chip for the gear change, I also asked him to set my fuel rating for 92 octane. Since that day many months ago, I have often wondered if I have lost any performance having the former setting of 94, down to 92. I don't care about MPG, that was never the issue.

My question is:
Will I get better performance with a 94 program option and utilizing 94 octane fuel than I will with my 92 program utilizing 92 octane fuel.

Sounds queer, but I have always wondered.....:rolleyes:

Fin Harder 92
02-19-2004, 06:43 PM
The change in octane requirements would tell me that the timing curve has been adjusted (less aggressive in this instance). I'm not a guru on these cars so I don't know who much timing they run from the factory or how much was in your Diablo chip but two octane points can make a difference.

Take Care

FordNut
02-19-2004, 06:47 PM
When I had Dennis reprogram my Diablo chip for the gear change, I also asked him to set my fuel rating for 92 octane. Since that day many months ago, I have often wondered if I have lost any performance having the former setting of 94, down to 92. I don't care about MPG, that was never the issue.

My question is:
Will I get better performance with a 94 program option and utilizing 94 octane fuel than I will with my 92 program utilizing 92 octane fuel.

From my experience, I can say... maybe. The reason I say so is that I had many dyno runs done before and after my header installation. I have a flip-chip with two programs, one for 93 octane and the other for 91 octane. While using 93 octane Amoco fuel, before the header installation there was absolutely no difference in the switch settings. After the header installation there was a measurable gain when switched to the 93 octane setting. I don't remember the numbers, they are posted somewhere in the forums. So I guess it depends on the rest of the mods as to whether the additional timing will provide any benefit.

Smokie
02-19-2004, 06:47 PM
My question is:

Barry, A program that uses 94 octane can use more timing and in theory deliver more power, would you notice the difference from 92 ? I don't think so.... but there is always that placebo effect. :beer:

Marauderman
02-19-2004, 07:06 PM
Barry, A program that uses 94 octane can use more timing and in theory deliver more power, would you notice the difference from 92 ? I don't think so.... but there is always that placebo effect. :beer:
ALL I know is what DR says--and DR says: USE ONLY 93 OCTANE...So ..thats' all I use...since it's delivery day forward..... huh..one more thing.....where is there 92 and 94 ????--only 93 here in the Carolinas that I've seen---HUmmmnnnn.............Tom

SergntMac
02-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Jeeze...I didn't know Dennis could reprogram Diablo chips...Guess I gotta wake up, eh?

CRUZTAKER
02-19-2004, 08:20 PM
I'm actually waiting for the professor himself to reply.

I am however gratefull for the input thus far. It is actually how I was thinking all along, but without any grounds of proof.

Mac: All the original chips Dennis offered prior to this new SCT were Diablos.
Mine has been programmed 3 times now. I am hoping for a super tune this year, as I am in dire straits without getting my A/F set correctly and perhaps my fuel set back to 93.

BTW: Shell in my area has a vast variety of blends. Marathon carries 94.

Marauderman
02-19-2004, 08:26 PM

My question is:

On a more serious note regarding Fuel Rating vs Programming: With my new found power I'm finding my fuel ratings going in the opposite direction of my programmed foot...... :lol: .

Dennis Reinhart
02-20-2004, 07:56 PM
This car will run as good as the gasoline in it, if you have a 92 octane program I have set the timimg for that if you run lower octane the car will knock and the knock sensors will retard the timing = less RWHP, on the tuners I am doing Premium and race fuel you are going to have more timing with the second program, so the answer is simple, decide what you want I will make it happen even with retarded timing you should never hammer the car, if you here spark knock, take your foot out of it.