PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you guys (and gals) wax with Zymol?

NOMARQUIS
02-24-2004, 07:45 PM
I know a lot of you use Zaino, but A guy I work with swears by Zymol. He has a black Escalade and it always looks great. I waxed my MM with Maguire's Gold Glass and it looked ok, but not like this guys Caddy. I'm thinking of trying it. If any of you have had an experience with Zymol please let me know.

Thanks

Eric

CRUZTAKER
02-24-2004, 07:53 PM
I've never tried it. I would like to know as well. Seems a bit pricey, but has neat colored bottles.:P

LNYTUNS
02-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Good question. I would like to know also as I am going to try and clean up the bad detailing job that I recieved from the dealer (same dealer NOMARQUIS got his MM at). I was going to do Zaino but I am open to alternatives.

NOMARQUIS
02-24-2004, 08:14 PM
(same dealer NOMARQUIS got his MM at).

You know Ray Charles is the Detail Department Manager at that place!

Eric

kurly
02-24-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi All,
I switched to Zaino. I have Eagle One (not bad) Maguirs, Mothers, 5star teflon, bla bla bla! a cabinet full of you name it. Somewhere on one of our threads a Marauder guy tested Zaino, Zymol, Mother's, etc. on different panels of the same "red" hood. They reviewed the beading, smoothness, etc. and at the end of the day the Zaino was perceived to be the best, shine, depth, etc. I always dare to be different, but after reading this unscientific but I believe very honest test, I had to give in a go with Zaino.

The only problem I have found tough to deal with is the "bird guano"! :down:

LNYTUNS
02-24-2004, 08:21 PM
(same dealer NOMARQUIS got his MM at).

You know Ray Charles is the Detail Department Manager at that place!

Eric

NO SH** that is the truth. Da ya want me to wash dat black one over dare boss and leave it in dat dare dark shop. O Tay :lol:

Topher
02-25-2004, 07:00 AM
Last July I got my MM a complete detail job- claybar, buffing, waxing etc. The shop used zymol carbon black, and the car never looked better. I haven't tried anything else yet so I cannot compare, but I was very satisfied with the zymol.

Chris

thebeeper
02-25-2004, 07:20 AM
I know a lot of you use Zaino, but A guy I work with swears by Zymol. He has a black Escalade and it always looks great. I waxed my MM with Maguire's Gold Glass and it looked ok, but not like this guys Caddy. I'm thinking of trying it. If any of you have had an experience with Zymol please let me know.

Thanks

EricI tried Zymol on the black cars I have owned in the past , always seemed to be very hard to take off , and leave streaks . I always seem to go back to COLLINITE wax . Have used that since the 60's , works the best and stays on the longest . ..........Dave

thebeeper
02-25-2004, 07:21 AM
I tried Zymol on the black cars I have owned in the past , always seemed to be very hard to take off , and leave streaks . I always seem to go back to COLLINITE wax . Have used that since the 60's , works the best and stays on the longest . ..........Dave

Cobra25
02-25-2004, 07:26 AM

Thanks

Eric I use Meguiars Mirror Glaze Hi-Teck Yellow wax #26. Easy on and off and the surface of my paint is like a sheet of ice. Nothing sticks. It has Brazilian Yellow wax, polymers,resins & silicones. It sell for about $12 a bottle. It all depends on what you think is best, all 3 are very good.

Ross
02-25-2004, 07:44 AM
I use Zymol. I haven't tried Zaino, so I can't make a side by side personal comparison. Zymol gives me a deeper black, with fewer swirl marks than anything else I've used. It can be hard to take off, since it has an "oily" kind of feel to it. That's easy to fix. Buff it off by hand with a soft cloth like you would other waxes, then come back with a clean, damp cloth and the residue just disappears. Zymol makes several grades of wax, but all I have used is the blue colored stuff that you can get anywhere. I'm in the minority on this board, but I would recommend it.

Haggis
02-25-2004, 07:47 AM

Thanks

Eric

I use to use Zymol on my silver Ram Air all the time and people always complimented me on how good my car looked. When I bought the Marauder and heard about Zaino on this site and how happy everyone was, I bought the Zaino and did all the steps. I have never used Zymol on the Marauder and I am completely happy with the Zaino and don't think I will go back.

Racerx88
02-25-2004, 07:49 AM
I use Zymol......................... ............ I'm in the minority on this board, but I would recommend it.
Ditto here.

SergntMac
02-25-2004, 07:56 AM
I don't remember what this stuff is called, but it's 4 bucks a bottle at Pep Boys. Wash the car, spray it on, wipe it off and drive. I think it's Turtle Wax maybe?

I think driving buffs it, the faster I go, the more it shines...

rookie1
02-25-2004, 08:09 AM
I've owned black cars for 2 decades. I like all of the products mentioned so far but I always come back to Turtle Wax "Vision" polish. it sheets rather than beads. We have dirty rain here and I can't stand water spots because here hand washing is the only way to get them off. This stuff beads less so less spots. Just my humble opinion.

ADE 1000
02-25-2004, 01:08 PM
I used Zymol and my previous Taurus SHO and was not all that pleased with it. The shine wasn't bad, but it was way too difficult to take off. If you are looking for serious workout when you hand wax your car, then Zymol is the wax for you.

I switched to Zaino when I bought my vette, and have not looked back ever since. Although I have yet to put a coat of it on the Marauder.

TAF
02-25-2004, 01:32 PM
I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't understand this. Nobody here gets ANYTHING for anyone buying Zaino products. Heck, Sal's not even a sponsor NOTE: when I pressed him for why, he said he couldn't afford to be a sponsor on ALL the enthusiasts site like ours where folks talk about his products...if you don't believe me...go to any other similar car site and do a search on Zaino and you'll see folks just like me and others here who RAVE on the performance of his products.

Then W H Y do some of you still want to find something different? Why are you compelled to discount the multitude of folks here that use Zaino, are nothing but happy with it and TRY to recommend what has been found to be the best?

Please explain this to me, someone. :confused::confused::confused: :confused:

teamrope
02-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Then W H Y do some of you still want to find something different? Why are you compelled to discount the multitude of folks here that use Zaino, are nothing but happy with it and TRY to recommend what has been found to be the best?

Maybe because some of us are old fashioned, or it might be the "instant gratifacation" thing. We go to the local car parts store to buy our wax, and not have to wait for shipping.
:lol: :D

TAF
02-25-2004, 01:52 PM
O.K. not a GOOD answer...but, an answer. Still...you can order online now, even use PayPal...and it's at your door in 3-5 days.

NEXT!

Ross
02-25-2004, 02:07 PM
I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't understand this. Nobody here gets ANYTHING for anyone buying Zaino products. Heck, Sal's not even a sponsor NOTE: when I pressed him for why, he said he couldn't afford to be a sponsor on ALL the enthusiasts site like ours where folks talk about his products...if you don't believe me...go to any other similar car site and do a search on Zaino and you'll see folks just like me and others here who RAVE on the performance of his products.

OK, I'll chime in. First, Zaino is a multi step process. Maybe when I was 20 years younger that would have appealed to me, but not any longer.

Second, no matter how many people are in love with Zaino, that doesn't mean that it's the ONLY good product out there.

Third, there seems to be a bit of a "herd mentality" here. If a lot of people say Zaino is the best, then we get flamed for daring to like something else. Call me a rebel (or a 2 percenter), but I refuse to "go along to get along."

Fourth, I have tried many waxes in my lifetime, like most of you have. When I find one I really like, and that makes my car look the way I want it to look, why should I switch when I have proven results?

Fifth, there seems to be an idea around here that with certain products, only ONE brand/vendor is any good. A lot of us have chips from various vendors, and are perfectly happy with them, but when someone new comes on board, the only recommended chip is DR's. Now, I know that Dennis sells a great chip, and I love his pulleys that are in my car, but he is not the ONLY person who can provide a good chip. I reject the idea that we have to be married to one brand/vendor when there are other good brands/vendors out there.

Hmmm...I guess that's enough for now.

AlPicone
02-25-2004, 02:11 PM

Thanks

Eric

My car is black and when I use the Zymol wax it really makes it shine. It leaves it with a wet glossy looking shine. Havent tried Zaino yet but will try it soon to see how it compares.

The first time I waxed my car with Zymol it was real PITA trying to get it off once it dries. It also left a lot of streaking. But it still looked good. Then some guy told me that you have to use Zymol different that other waxes. You should only do a small area (2 X 2 like they say) and then take off the wax while it is still wet. If you let it dry it becomes really hard to remove. So I followed his instructions and it came out awsome!

Agent M79
02-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Quite the divisive issue, eh?

Perception and subjectivity are the basis for opinions where fact is unavailable or irrelevant. Probably the most relevant evidence of this is a head to head comparison of various products.

The "wax test" that has been brought up before is HERE (http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html).

Same surface, different products. If one was clearly and distinctly "best", all would have chosen it. They didn't. Why? Perception.

There are too many factors to choose one best choice for everyone. The way you buy it, how much it costs, what color bottle, expert opinion, ease of application, frequency of reapplication, car color, paint condition, prep work, personal bias, mental condition, intoxication level, character flaws, and probably more determine "best" for each individual.

So... now that [ZAINO] we understand that there can't be [ZAINO] a clear best wax that [ZAINO] makes everyone happy, we could move on [BUY ZAINO] to other topics [ZAINO].

Ross
02-25-2004, 04:18 PM
So... now that [ZAINO] we understand that there can't be [ZAINO] a clear best wax that [ZAINO] makes everyone happy, we could move on [BUY ZAINO] to other topics [ZAINO].[/QUOTE]

Why do I all of a sudden have this uncontrollable urge to buy Zaino? :lol:

Bigdogjim
02-25-2004, 04:29 PM
O.K. not a GOOD answer...but, an answer. Still...you can order online now, even use PayPal...and it's at your door in 3-5 days.

NEXT!

Hey Todd: I can drive on over and be their in 45 minutes:):):)

No shipping no wait:):):)

Bigdogjim
02-25-2004, 04:33 PM
I tried Zymol on the black cars I have owned in the past , always seemed to be very hard to take off , and leave streaks . I always seem to go back to COLLINITE wax . Have used that since the 60's , works the best and stays on the longest . ..........Dave
I use this on my '70 Marauder back in the day:)

Very easy to work with and great results:):baaa:

jgc61sr2002
02-25-2004, 04:56 PM
I have been detailing show car for more years than I care to admit. I have tried Zymol and most other products on the market. Most products streak especially on Black or dark colored vehicles. Since trying Zaino on my black MM I am throughly satisfied. It never streaks and comes off easily. I didn't realize that Sal Zaino wasn't a sponsor of this site. Come on Sal you can spring for a couple of $'s. I am sure you have at least 100 members or more from this site purchasing your products. :(

G-Man
02-25-2004, 05:06 PM

I guess the real question is: Why can't I just wax my car with whatever wax I choose?

TAF
02-25-2004, 05:08 PM
I guess the real question is: Why can't I just wax my car with whatever wax I choose?
You certainly can...nobody is saying anything different.

Just don't be TOO embarrassed when you park it next to mine. :D

G-Man
02-25-2004, 05:40 PM
You certainly can...nobody is saying anything different.

Just don't be TOO embarrassed when you park it next to mine. :D
Well, I don't know how good it is, but I have been using Griot's Garages Best of Show wax for years. It's made for Concours level showing. It's good.

CRUZTAKER
02-25-2004, 05:58 PM
I don't remember what this stuff is called, but it's 4 bucks a bottle at Pep Boys. Wash the car, spray it on, wipe it off and drive. I think it's Turtle Wax maybe?

I think driving buffs it, the faster I go, the more it shines...There are several manufacturers of the product you speak of Mac.
My personal favorite is MEGUIRE'S 'Quick Detailer mist and wipe'
Regardless of your choice of wax, looking good in a pinch is solved. This product is a must have for black cars. Those of you who have seen me at meets, have likely seen me using this. I may wipe down the entire car with it every day during the summer. It only takes 10 minutes or so, removed all blems, and keeps a nice cover coat over your choice of wax. I use 100% white cotton hand towels.

'Don't leave home without it!'

BTW: I have used Zaino, I like it, but prefer using only their 'POLISH LOCK', and then Meguires over that.

schuvwj
02-25-2004, 07:24 PM
All I can say is "different strokes for different folks"!

Thank god we all have a choice, except for taxes and death.

Merc-O-matic
02-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Used Zymol on my Grand Marquis this past
week-end. Looks great!
Will try Zaino when I have an
extra $100 to spend.

Gotta Love It! :pimp:

"Happy Birthday" to my MM
one year old today!

UAW 588
02-26-2004, 05:49 PM
I don't know if you guys have heard of this wax, but I have been using it for years on every car I have owned, and was one the first carnuba waxes out in the seventies. The wax is called the Treatment, and I have never had any bad results. It comes in a big tooth paste tube and goes on with a wet applicator and comes off like nothing. Hardly any hard rubbing and no swirls. Also, I have used the pre-wax they offer. It cleans the dirt and grime out of the paint and also removes the layers of wax. By doing this at least once a year, depending how often you wax, it keeps your paint fresh and clean, and not all that wax build up. I know some people like to keep alot of wax on their car, but I like to start fresh and clean. Plus this stuff removes tar and stains in the paint like bug and tar remover. Just my 2 cents.