PDA

View Full Version : O2 Sensors

2003 MIB
02-25-2004, 12:24 PM
I was looking at Logan's pictures of the Kook's system and I see provisions for 1 set of O2 sensors. Doesn't the Marauder have two sets stock? If so, is one set discarded and only the rears utilized?

Logan
02-25-2004, 12:25 PM
The primary O2 sensors get installed into the header collector, the secondary O2 sensors get installed into the back of the pipes leading into the X Pipe... :)

2003 MIB
02-25-2004, 12:27 PM
The primary O2 sensors get installed into the header collector, the secondary O2 sensors get installed into the back of the pipes leading into the X Pipe... :)
As always, thanks for the help!

Logan
02-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Also, no O2 sensor extension wires are required, the stock sensor wires are long enough to reach both locations.

SergntMac
02-25-2004, 02:06 PM
If you have the Stage I with a chip, or, a Jerry Tune, the rear sensors are shut off anyway. Which is cool, you can use the bungs for other things, like AFR and EGT monitoring, if you're inclined...

BillyGman
02-27-2004, 02:40 PM
If you have the Stage I with a chip, or, a Jerry Tune, the rear sensors are shut off anyway. Which is cool, you can use the bungs for other things, like AFR and EGT monitoring, if you're inclined...

I wasn't aware of that MAC. Are you positive about this? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to debate w/you. It's just that when Constable drove around for about 15 miles w/just the open headers on his car, he threw a code since he didn't have the secondary O2 sensors. Atleast I think it was because of that. Right? And after all, he did have the primary O2 sensors hooked up to the headers. :confused:

SergntMac
02-27-2004, 07:24 PM
I wasn't aware of that MAC. Are you positive about this? It's just that when Constable drove around for about 15 miles w/just the open headers on his car, he threw a code since he didn't have the secondary O2 sensors. At least I think it was because of that. Right? And after all, he did have the primary O2 sensors hooked up to the headers. :confused:
It's the 411 I'm working with today, Billy. Jerry told me that after you get his tune on a dyno, or, install a recent edition of a Reinhart Delta Chip, the last two sensors are shut off.

What Constable may have experienced in his adventure, beats me. That was a while ago, yes?

TooManyFords
02-28-2004, 07:00 AM
Ever since D.R. reprogrammed my BMD0 computer and I put the cutouts in, my rear O2 sensors have not been plugged in and I've got about 6000 miles without a code. FYI!

John

BillyGman
02-28-2004, 11:20 AM
MAC, and John, yes,it was last year (late summer/early fall) that Constable did that. To tell you the truth I wasn't aware that Dennis has something called a "Delta" chip. I have a chip from him on my car, but I nver heard him nor anyone else before refer to it as a "Delta" chip. So thanks for the info.

Constable
03-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Yea, I threw a code after about 15 minutes of motoring without the two rear O2's on. The code read: "Left Bank Lean". I had the full DR Stage 1 setup. Who knows, programming may have changed since then... I had my chip done the last week of August.

Related Side Note: I installed my MIL Eliminators today... was a snap. A few butt connectors here, a little "liquid electrical tape" there, and it was finished. Now it's time to hollow them noisy cats and see what happens.

Ross
03-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Constable, are you using the MIL eliminators just because you plan to hollow the cats? I was looking at the website for the eliminators and it said that they are needed whenever running H or X pipes. A lot of people here are running aftermarket H or X pipes, like from Kook's or DR. I don't remember seeing them saying that they need the eliminators. I guess I'm kind of confused about when these are needed. Thanks for the 411 on this.

Constable
03-09-2004, 12:42 PM
If I remember correctly, the site stated that the MIL Eliminators should be used whenever running an "off-road" H or X pipe (meaning that there are no cats used on the H / X pipe).

MIL Eliminators or Malfunction Indicator Light Eliminators, are electronic modules that prevent the "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" light from coming on when an offroad H or X pipe is installed on a late-model vehicle with OBD-II emissions systems. If an Offroad H or X pipe is installed on the vehicle without MIL Eliminators, the "Check Engine" or Service Engine Soon" will always be on, and the driver won't have the opportunity of being alerted if something more serious is wrong with the vehicle.
I'm using them because I burned up / blew out my crappy Dynomax cats and don't feel like dishing out the $$ for new ones. They're already pretty much shot, I'm just going to pop them open and get the rest of the "funk" out of them.

BillyGman
03-09-2004, 02:49 PM
Ross, the eliminators are advertised for people using "H-pipes" or "X-pipes" because many of the after market X-/or H-pipes do NOT have a bung welded into them for the secondary O2 sensors to thread into them like the Kooks pipes do.

So none of that applies to us Kooks customers anyway. Just remember that exhaust systems are a specialty of Kooks, and it's the only thing that they do, and have been doing for awhile. Kooks is NOT a jack of all trades type of place. exhaust is their specialty. they even mandrel bend their own pipes for thier exhaust systems and headers.

My point is that they're not like any fly-by-night place that stocks aftermarket parts like you'll find a lot of on the net.

on a side note: I talked to a friend who lives in California, and who has been out west all his life, and who races a 9 second car. And as soon as I mentioned Kooks, he immediately knew who I was talking about. Him and his circle of associates are all familiar w/Kooks headers, and they don't even have Marauders. He told me that Kooks is a well respected name in serious hi-performance circles. And like I said, this guy plays around w/9 second quartermile cars, and makes what we do look like child's play. Kooks headers are the real deal, and are not some wanna-be headers. I don't get anything from them for telling people that. I just call it like I see it,and I've put about 6,000 miles on my car since I've installed the Kooks headers and complete exhaust system myself, and I'm very satisfied. If I did it over again, I'd make the exact same choice too. I've had veteran members of this board argue w/me tooth and nail about Kooks headers in the past, and recently one of them on the phone admitted to me that he was wrong and that Kooks are the best since they offer the most performance gain for the Marauder. So take that for what it's worth. But either I'm lying to you, exaggerating, or I'm being straight w/you. It's up to you to decide which is the case my friend. I'll let my reputation on this board as well as my track record (no pun intended) speak for itself. And I have NOTHING to sell anyone. I'm just here to learn and to help others learn. that's it. :)

CRUZTAKER
03-09-2004, 02:58 PM
^^^AGREED^^^....another happy Kooks owner here.