PDA

View Full Version : Parts & Questions

ts-pa
12-11-2002, 05:35 PM
I have a 2000 Grand Marquis LS with Handling Package, ABS, PrecisionTrac, and Ultimate comfort package.
This includes the digital dash.

traction-lok - I currently have the "PrecisionTrac" setup through ABS system. It is my understanding that some come with this setup mixed with the optional mechanical "Traction-Lok" and a switch to deactivate the "PrecisionTrac". Some questions: Does this not also deactivate the ABS? Can this be added to a car such as mine? Could both systems be working together for even greater effectiveness?
Towing – In 1996, there was a towing package. Can we get the same towing capabilities as then by simply adding the missing mechanical and electrical components? What else could be different to prevent the towing capability?

Could the gauge cluster, picture on right side of web page, be used in a 2000 GM?
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/preview/articles/46797/article.html
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Year: 2000
Make: Mercury
Model: Grand Marquis
Body: Sedan
Color: White
Mileage: 17,600
Transmission: Automatic
Features & Accessories
Power Steering Air Conditioning Cruise Control
Leather Seating Power Door Locks Power Driver Seat
Power Windows AM/FM Radio Cassette Player
Tilt Wheel Dual Front Air Bags ABS (4-Wheel)
Traction Control Dual Power Seats Alloy Wheels
Keyless Entry Remote Control Entry Auto Climate Control
Trip Computer Digital Instruments Intermittent Wipers
Rear Window Defroster

LincMercLover
12-11-2002, 06:01 PM
I suppose the gauge cluster could be used, that is IF you could get one... Only different is rather to have two gauges in one circle, you get separate gauges all around.

As far as the trac-lock and TC, I really have NO CLUE. As far as I know you cannot have TC with a limited slip rear end? So I wouldn't suggest trying to mix the two. As far as ABS, ABS should still work for it's intended purpose of keeping the brakes from locking up even with TC off. TC just utilizes ABS to keep the car "under control" and pulls timing from the motor to ease torque. I dunno, it's all kinda messed up. I personally wouldn't have TC on ANY of my cars. My sister's 1996 Ford Contour had it and I took it out in the snow and whenever it felt it was loosing itself (which was often) it was constantly doing things I already knew how to control. So I guess for the inexpirienced driver it'll help, but those who KNOW how to correct a vehicle, it just totally messes things up! I always turned it off when I drove it...

As for the towing, I believe the 1996 had greater tow ability, but I don't see why (especially with this beefed up frame) a newer model couldn't handle something near what the 1996's did with the right equipment. I wouldn't be putting anything over a class II on it though, and even that's pushing it. Cars these days just don't have the meat to them older cars had to be able to tow and not get over-powered by the load. Guess that's why SUV's are the thing to have right now...

Hope this kinda helps...

03 Merc
12-11-2002, 06:08 PM
If you go to this post you see a pretty long thread on towing...I never expected this many replies... http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=746

In a nutshell Traction Control (TC) and a locking rear differential are not mutually exclusive, TC is on all 4 wheels where as the only the rear axle used what is commonly called "posi-trac" even though that's a General Motors name or limited slip.. TC works by sensing slip, thru sensors at the wheels, and applying either brakes (and / or throttle in some models) to stop the slipping wheel. It is all done via sensors and the on board computer.

A "Locking" Rear Axle however is the older 50's and up technology that thru various means, friction clutches, mechanical lockers, and other techniques will lock the two rear axle shafts together when one wheel is slipping. Unlike TC, which sends power to the wheel that has traction, it just locks the shafts together and applies power. The spinning wheel will continue to spin and the other, if it has traction, will move the car. Usually the right rear wheel is the spinning wheel until lock up occurs...then when the unit engages the left rear will have power applied.. in the case of equal traction, or lack of :D!, you get a neat twin track burnout!:rolleyes:

If you do a web search on Eaton or Detroit Locker, a rear axle limited slip device company, they both used to have a very good info page on mechanical, all types described, versus TC...BTW you cannot "turn off" mechanical like you can TC...

As far as changing out your dash it will physically fit but the wiring harnesses (for sure) and on board computer (most likely) would need replaced and or modified...might be a lot less hassle to trade into a MM...they are going for $29,000 in Atlanta...

I hope this helps..

LincMercLover
12-11-2002, 06:15 PM
I think he's talking about the origanal six pod gauge cluster, not the MM/GM's 3... I wouldn't see why it wouldn't fit. EVERYTHING is electrical in there, so sweeps are determined by resistance and not pressure. Just note EXACTLY how the origanals look (in relationship to where the needle and lines are) in the off position, then match that to the new one. This will be imperitive for correct read out. Don't wanna run outta gas when the gauge says you still have a 1/4 tank left! I'd have to say it'd fit right in, but I'm not for sure...

Of course, if you're just talking about the white faces, then that's even easier! No hook up required, just pull the needles (again noting the position) and place the new face in. Put the needles and glass (plastic) back in and you're done!

Mikeenh
12-11-2002, 06:30 PM
TS,
I've had a 92,94,95 and 98 GM and now the 03 MM. I have had a class lll hitch on all of them and have towed thousands of miles. My car carrier is an open 1,700 pound dual wheel unit. I tow a 1927 Ford Touring and a 1936 DeSoto Airflow along with a slew of other vehicles that I've helped friends with. Each car has performed fantastic.I don't notice any difference between the years. They make great tow cars. It saves me from having a suv or truck just to tow. The MM does have a higher rear end, so you need to downshift more often.
I hate TC. If you are any good at driving in the snow, TC gets in the way. I used to have to turn it off to get out of my steep driveway in deep snow. With TC on the engine would shut down. With it off you could spin your way out. To each his own though.

LincMercLover
12-11-2002, 06:36 PM
Oh damn... I just re-read your post and saw you have the digital dash! LOL, sorry... Hmm... yah, I dunno if the computer will like that because you have a totally different read out system (bar graphs isn't it?) and trip meters etc... PLUS you SHOULD have a electronic odo, the MM's is manual turn style, so I doubt that'd work. Baisically... the new dash would probably be a headache and a half to do!

ts-pa
12-11-2002, 10:11 PM
I'm not sure of which gauge cluster if from which car. I bought this one used at a very good price. The digital only has the water temp and gas on bar graph. the only thing that I have found useful one right hand side is the "distance to empty" which is quite accurate being based on last 500 miles driven. Although very cool gauges, it seems like too much trouble if I can't just plug it in.

mikeehn:
What hitch did you use? Was it the same one for all of those years? How did you do the wiring? Hoppy has a plug in for the older cars, will this work on a newer one? How often did you change your fluids? Did you add any coolers?

I agree with most people in saying "PrecisionTrac" leaves a lot to be desired. I have been in a couple of jams due to it. The latest was through an intersection at 3mph max! Regardless of giving it gas or not, it didn't want to go. Would going to 3.73 gears be a good idea when I add "Traction-Lok"? I'm worried about added vibration from driveshaft if I change it. What changes are required by this addition?

Later, Tom

Mikeenh
12-12-2002, 11:40 AM
Tom,
I used Draw Tight hitches. They should be the same from 92 up. With 5 cars I used 2 hitches total. I bought & had them installed at U-Haul. They are quick & reasonable. If you use trailer brakes, they run two wires from the front to the rear.I replaced the electric brake controller when I got the MM. It works much better than the controller I bought in 92.They're all digital now. If no brakes, they tap in at the tail light...real quick & easy.
I changed trans fluid a little sooner than the book says. I never went synthetic.
All the GM's I ordered had the performance package. They come with a trans cooler as does the MM.