PDA

View Full Version : The USS Marauder goes to auto-x

Fosters
11-18-2012, 09:45 PM
. .

guspech750
11-19-2012, 04:41 AM
Nice!! Always fun beating the snot out of these cars.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

GAMike
11-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Good going.... Lots of folks don't expect our cars to handle/hold up as well as they do... Bet you surprised some folks there. :)

BlackVic_P71
11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Nice improvement throughout the day, this was my second season doing AutoX in my CVPI.

Sent from outer space by magic.

captain
11-19-2012, 10:27 AM
When and Where did this take place?

Fosters
11-19-2012, 10:32 AM
. .

GAMike
11-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Eh, I wouldn't go all that far. I was quicker than a few 80s sports cars - a porsche 944, an alfa romeo spyder, and a few others, but nothing to write home about. Sway bars would go a long way, the body roll is what kills it I think...

I'd love to get my hands on those 2" swaybars the bondurant crown vics had on them. :eek:

In my humble opinion..... Sway bars would help with the body role for sure, and will add some lateral grip...... The downside will be that you will have little time to react when car's rear breaks loose or the nose starts to plow....... Its a very artificial sense of security that the anti sways provide..... I had em on my first Marauder with stock CA's, 4.10's and 255's on the rears....

This car has stock sways with Metco CA's and I love the way it handles... again.. This is just my opinion. Everyone else is different for sure:beer:
I

Fosters
11-19-2012, 07:51 PM
. .

GAMike
11-19-2012, 09:56 PM
5th car FTW:burnout: Seriously tho, and I have said this in discussions about Control Arms..... Maybe CA's are the way to go.... I know people focus on em for launch control and keep the rear planted..Rightly so, but another advantage that I have found is that they plant the rear even in emergency lane changes in highway conditions.... The body roll will still be there, but the rear end won't be bouncing like with the stock CA's..... That may help compensate for the body roll some..... Granted CA's are a more expensive option than sways, but if you have an opportunity to drive a few different set ups, I'm sure you will figure out whats best for ya....Good luck with sourcing your 5th car & the Marauder Mods:)

Yeah, this was fairly predictable and got good feedback on when it was about to lose traction... however, the body roll is so bad that I have to fight staying in the seat at times... :\ The other option would be stiffer springs, but that would ruin the ride on the street IMO.

Sadly, out of 4 vehicles, it's my most auto-x friendly vehicle... I think I need a 5th car :alone:

92BlackGT
11-28-2012, 12:47 PM
that's a long drive from Minnesota to auto-x the 'rauder. I used to auto-x at Firebird with my Mustang when I lived in the Phoenix area. Watching the vid makes me want to take up auto-xing again.... so much more fun than drag racing.

Mike M
11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
I did autocross in a C6 Vette at Bob Bondurant and I remember using the gas and brake pedal basically as a on/off switch. Either the car was floored or I was full on brakes with ABS sounding like a machine gun. I had the second fastest run in my group. It seems to me you have to be violent with the car as opposed to driving smooth in other types of road course racing.

I think if you invested in monster brakes and used them to their max your times would drop dramatically.
The Vette has stupid good brakes.