PDA

View Full Version : Trilogy Install.

bullfrog26
03-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Hello Everyone,
While attending the autorama in Detroit over the weekend I came across the Trilogy Motorsport display. I was very impressed with the way this package is put together. I have an appointment this week to test drive the car and am quite sure after doing so I will purchase this package. My question to the members is, has any of you completed the installation yourself? I went through the installation manual and it seems to be very clear and straight forward. Any comments on this subject would be most appreciated.
Thanks

2003 MIB
03-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Logan did it in his garage and raved about the detail of the installation manual.

GarageMahal
03-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Welcome :)

Several members here have done a self install. I am currently considering it myself.

jta

jgc61sr2002
03-02-2004, 11:37 AM
bullfrog26 - Welcome aboard. IMO you have to be an accomplished wrench to do the install, the job always looks easier on paper. :)

Marauderjack
03-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Has anyone done a 2004 car yet??? :confused:

Just wondering since I think it requires a chip and my car has no port for a chip!! I guess DR will figure it out and write the program for our "Custom Tuners"??

Marauderjack :up:

Logan
03-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Eh? Has no port for a chip? Whatchu talkin' Bout willis? Remove metal tab on PCM, install chip. If you've got one of the new Blackoak pcm's, I'd wanna picture of that, cuz I don't believe it. :)

Anyway, regarding the trilogy install, only two items for the average joe to consider.

1) before doing ANY disassembly work on the car, try to get the EGR nut holding the tube connected to the drivers exhaust manifold loose. If you can't get it loose, just take it to a exhaust shop, get em to loosen it for $20 and then head home and start installing.

2) If you have a early marauder, check to see if your alternator has a clutched pulley with a 60 spline nut thingy on the pulley, if so, make sure you have the required adapter to get it off, which is normally included in the kit.

Other than that, took me around 13 hours or so to install mine with no complications whatsoever.

CRUZTAKER
03-02-2004, 04:15 PM
...a 60 spline nut thingy
He said thingy....

Don't feel bad Jack, I was also under the impression the '04 EEC's had no port as well...for plug-in daughterboards.

Logan
03-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Really? Is that true? I haven't looked at the 04's personally. I wouldn't of thought they'd put blackoak in there...

bullfrog26
03-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Thank you all for responding to my question. I am kind of in the middle here as which way to go. It would be much easier to let Alternative do the install but, $1800.00 would buy a few more extra's. I'll have to think on it.
Thanks

Marauderjack
03-03-2004, 04:15 AM
Logan,

What the heck is "Blackoak"?? :(

My PCM has a thing that looks like a "Knock-Out" where the port used to be and has a "Voids Warranty If Removed" notice.......Not a big deal since the blower will do that for ya as well!! :up:

Problem is DR sent three chips to South Florida for 04 cars and they had ports but none would even start after install!! :cry: I think Ford is deliberately trying to screw up our FUN!!!! :nono:

I have the "Custom Tuner" with DR's chip program and it is very NICE!! After DR does a few installs on 04 cars we will know more......I'm confident he can make any of this stuff work regardless of Ford's shenanegans!!! :banana:

Marauderjack :pimp:

Logan
03-03-2004, 06:38 AM
Blackoak is the nextgeneration Ford PCM that does not have a service port at all on it.

That "Knockout" IS where your chip would go. You simply remove the knock out scrape off the conformal and plug your chip in. Usually when cars don't start after plug in of a chip it's almost always because not all of the conformal was removed off the board.

CRUZTAKER
03-03-2004, 06:48 AM
To expand on this topic a little more, I believe the '04 EEC has the same lid as the '03 had, but the internals lack the card edge connector.

One could easily remove the lid and take a peekie inside without voiding ant warranties. This little op should only take 20 minutes or so to accomplish.

One of the early '04 owners should do that, and tell us what they see, maybe take a pic. This will allow easier visual explaination down the road as the next bunch of '04 owners find this board over the summer, see chip threads, and attempt to buy one.