PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Brakes Comparison

Smokie
03-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Is there data available on the capabilities of the MM. stock braking system ? If such data is available can anyone here provide it ?

Also there are several choices available to our members to upgrade the brakes, however unlike horsepower and torque gains that the various mods produce and are measured at a dyno or the 1/4 mile track. When we try to decide what brake upgrade to purchase; other than brand name, how much it cost and testimonials that it stops better, what else do we have. ???

What road test data, if any, exist to compare a brake upgrade's performance in actual stopping distances and resistance to fade by measuring stopping distances after repeated stops ??? Any data would be useful in deciding which upgrade is the best value for the dollar.

TAF
03-02-2004, 05:04 PM
I can't give you any scientific stuff...

But, my Baer brakes will "put you through the windshield"...if you're not buckled in.

Send a PM to Todd @ TCE...he knows his stuff about brakes...also, do like I did and read through Baer's site at www.baer.com (http://www.baer.com) .

woaface
03-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Performance brakes or at least pads or calipers are a good idea with a car of this weight, even more so if you start moding.
Car and Driver stopped it from 70mph in 184 feet I believe, which is very decent IMHO.
When they tested Kenny Brown's S, they came up with this.

"With that kind of firepower, it's no wonder upgraded front brakes are part of the package. The Baer/PBR brakes feature 14-inch rotors, and two-piston calipers provide firm brake-pedal feel and fade-free 171-foot stops from 70 mph."

Definitely a start on the right track, and while that may not seem like much, it will really show at slower speeds and around town more.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=4354&page_number=1

TAF
03-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Well done James!:up:

Smokie
03-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Thank you James !!! 13 feet can be the difference between a close call and a very traumatic experience.:rock:

woaface
03-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I was wishin' good brakes would fall out of the sky when I "tapped" my friend's civic in the rear a few weeks ago. Was only partially my fault, but no damage...could have been worse!