PDA

View Full Version : Another Update On My Trilogy Marauder...

Lidio
03-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Here are a few updates on my MM with the Trilogy blower set-up.
Just as a refresher… I’ve had my Eaton ported by Apten in Missouri and I use an 80mm Pro-M mass air meter. With the stock 3.4” blower pulley it produced just over 11psi of boost; normally a Trilogy is about 9.5psi.

With a 2.8” blower pulley now; it’s producing 13.5psi pf boost. This increase of about 2.5 psi across the board has made a huge difference in the low/mid range torque and horse power at the rear wheels.

Unfortunately the peak RWHP number has only gone up a little, but below 6000 rpm and off idle the difference is substantial, and trust me very tire-fryingly noticeable… even with the big Nitto 305’s. In fact the low end is so nuts I’m seriously considering putting the 3.55 back in the axle over the 4.10’s. And this is still with the stock torque converter and stock entire exhaust.

It also looks like the stock in-tank fuel pump has met its match. I pushed it as far as it will go with the chip adjustments for A/F and the Trilogy supplied Boost-a-pump. It appears as if the stock pump is done at about 440+ RWHP. I actually wanted to run it richer at WOT above 5500rpm then the graph’s show but there was nothing left in it. Until I replace the in-tank pump, this shatters my plans to hit all of this with a little 30-50 shot of NOS. I’m going to try to deal with the fuel pump before I go to FL next week.

The only thing that I can think of that made my MM not gain a ton of RWHP above 6K with the added boost is that the blower is becoming inefficient now way up there (now that its really over spun) over 6000rpm and the exhaust is seriously holding it back now.

Thanks

http://www.alternativeauto.com/lidspix/mmdyno/MMnighshot.jpg
Current under hood shot.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/lidspix/mmdyno/lid13.7.jpg
Although the torque is on a down ward slope in this graph, its quite normal on an automatic car to spike up very high intitally then fall off the rest of the pull.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/lidspix/mmdyno/lidcomp.jpg

JET
03-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Awesome man. Great pull
:bounce: :banana: :banana2: :beer: :banana2: :banana: :bounce:

jspradii
03-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Here are a few updates on my MM with the Trilogy blower set-up.
Just as a refresher… I’ve had my Eaton ported by Apten in Missouri and I use an 80mm Pro-M mass air meter. With the stock 3.4” blower pulley it produced just over 11psi of boost; normally a Trilogy is about 9.5psi.

With a 2.8” blower pulley now; it’s producing 13.5psi pf boost. This increase of about 2.5 psi across the board has made a huge difference in the low/mid range torque and horse power at the rear wheels.

Unfortunately the peak RWHP number has only gone up a little, but below 6000 rpm and off idle the difference is substantial, and trust me very tire-fryingly noticeable… even with the big Nitto 305’s. In fact the low end is so nuts I’m seriously considering putting the 3.55 back in the axle over the 4.10’s. And this is still with the stock torque converter and stock entire exhaust.

It also looks like the stock in-tank fuel pump has met its match. I pushed it as far as it will go with the chip adjustments for A/F and the Trilogy supplied Boost-a-pump. It appears as if the stock pump is done at about 440+ RWHP. I actually wanted to run it richer at WOT above 5500rpm then the graph’s show but there was nothing left in it. Until I replace the in-tank pump, this shatters my plans to hit all of this with a little 30-50 shot of NOS. I’m going to try to deal with the fuel pump before I go to FL next week.

The only thing that I can think of that made my MM not gain a ton of RWHP above 6K with the added boost is that the blower is becoming inefficient now way up there (now that its really over spun) over 6000rpm and the exhaust is seriously holding it back now.

Thanks

http://www.alternativeauto.com/lidspix/mmdyno/MMnighshot.jpg
Current under hood shot.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/lidspix/mmdyno/lid13.7.jpg
Although the torque is on a down ward slope in this graph, its quite normal on an automatic car to spike up very high intitally then fall off the rest of the pull.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/lidspix/mmdyno/lidcomp.jpg
And your recommendation for a >500 hp fuel pump is??????? :confused:

darebren
03-03-2004, 06:47 AM
I wonder how far the heads will travel when it explodes! can you measure that for us!? Just kidding.

Can you let us know how long the turnaround time os to have the wheels widened, assuming we drop them off to you with the tires dismounted.

MI2QWK4U
03-03-2004, 07:53 PM
I think we are looking at the same Walbro pump that Kenny Brown uses.

jspradii
03-03-2004, 08:31 PM
I think we are looking at the same Walbro pump that Kenny Brown uses.
I looked up the answer to my own question in Sean Hyland's new book "How to Build Max-Performance 4.6 (and 5.4) Liter Ford Engines". Looks like the Aeromotive A-1000 (P/N:11101) and Controller (P/N: 16302 or 16303) is the best combo for what I'm doing. This book just came out, and I recommend it to anyone who has performance questions about the 4.6 SOHC or DOHC motors (all of them Ford) or just likes reading this stuff. Check out www.cartechbooks.com (http://www.cartechbooks.com). :pimp:

Lidio
03-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Hey jspradii, you need to quote a post with out taking the whole previous post and its related links and pix into you response :) Any way, on the fuel pump issue. In the 4.6L Mustangs with returnless fuel system we’ve got intank pumps coupled with boost-a-pumps that have no problem making over 500rwhp. Just haven’t applied any of that to a MM yet, will very soon though.

Mr. darebren… hey as long as when the heads blow off and they don't hurt the paint on my hood, I’m cool with that :P
Mid 450’s RWHP on a 4.6L with a proper tune and octane is no problem for tons of our customers, a lot of the longevity on this type of thing is all in the tune!!

Zack
03-03-2004, 09:20 PM
The Walbro pumps work well, however, they are not designed for use in a returnless fuel system. There are no failures to report so far, but the cobra pumps Dennis sells are a sure thing.
Id also like to discuss anyone running a boost-a-pump.
The wiring diagram most boost-a-pumps come with tell the customer to wire it in between the cars own voltage controller and the pump.
This is wrong: why would anyone connect a pump that is supposed to supply more fuel when needed to a power source that is constantly fluctuating?
The proper way to connect it is to the power wire that supplies the voltage controller. Max voltage on a boost a pump is good.

jspradii
03-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Hey jspradii, you need to quote a post with out taking the whole previous post and its related links and pix into you response :) Any way, on the fuel pump issue. In the 4.6L Mustangs with returnless fuel system we’ve got intank pumps coupled with boost-a-pumps that have no problem making over 500rwhp. Just haven’t applied any of that to a MM yet, will very soon though.

Mr. darebren… hey as long as when the heads blow off and they hurt the paint on my hood, I’m cool with that :P
Mid 450’s RWHP on a 4.6L with a proper tune and octane is no problem for tons of our customers, a lot of the longevity on this type of thing is all in the tune!!
Lidio-
Right you are. The dyno numbers are impressive but we don't need 'em . piggybacked on each other. Sorry:cry: Anywho, i need the fuel system to deliver up to 700 hp on demand consistently, since I'm running the nitrous application on it and do not desire an overlean condition at WOT. Now I'm not personallythe biggest fan of Hyland, but he's convinced the stock pumps fizzle over 450 hp. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions, and I consider your counsel and advice very :beer: sound!

Effster
03-03-2004, 09:59 PM
i dropped the tank and put a 255 in its place,forget that boost-a-pump thingy

Lidio
03-03-2004, 10:34 PM
I never thought about wiring the boost-a-pump before the fuel pump controller on a returneless car?? Does sound good!!
But I have to say that we’ve wired it the other way (after the controller) on as many as 125 returnless cars since the year 2000 when supercharging the ’99 and up mustangs really started kicking in. And I must say it works perfect, reliably and is truly effective in making the pumps it’s used with work better… be it a totally stock pump or an aftermarket one.

The dual ’03 Cobra pumps - package just kicks ass. It’s been reported to support over 600RWHP when used with a boost-a-pump on actual ’03 Cobra’s with big upgrades. I don’t push this though on my mustang customer because it’s over kill for lots of people and it’s quite expensive over all because it requires a new fuel tank and many other items to make it work… At least in a ’99 and up Mustangs.

The dual pump Cobra kit from DR for the Marauder does sound good.

Lidio
03-06-2004, 05:59 AM
jspradii....

Whats the plans for 700 HP?? Is this a Marauder?? I hope :banana:

Smokie
03-06-2004, 06:40 AM
Lidio I have been following this post with great interest because I am a fan of the Eaton set-up, I have a question. on your dyno charts the hp and tq curves meet somewhere between 5700 rpm and 5800 rpm depending on chart you look at. It is my understanding that you can only measure torque and use math to precict hp, the curves have to meet at about 5240 rpm, am I mistaken ? Or am I reading charts wrong ? Thanks keep up the great work.:burnout:

jspradii
03-06-2004, 01:21 PM
jspradii....

Whats the plans for 700 HP?? Is this a Marauder?? I hope :banana:
Yep-I just have to settle on a boost mechanism besides the nitrous (super or turbo). i am leaning to super, but I haven't made my mind up yet. My goal is to get it comfortably in the 11's and then quit.:rasta:

Lidio
03-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Your right, HP and torque usually do meet at 5200ish.... certain combinations like big turbos, Superchargers and NOS with automatic transmissions and torque converters make this law of physics or math not always happen where it should on a chassis dyno, plus I mentioned in my earlier posts or thread that I don’t think I was really revving my MM to 7000+ rpms (like the graphs show on one or two). My rpm pick-up seems to be off on certain type of ignitions it seems. Reading higher then it really is.

Thanks