PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire Wear.....

Marauderjack
03-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Howdy Folks....

I installed my McGard wheel locks and swapped my tires side to side.....Nothing really abnormal except the center tread on both rears are worn more than the fronts!!! We have all seen this especially on the 03 cars with lower air pressure. :(

I moved mine up to 38 PSI after TTA's theory on rim size and the rears being a bit large for the size rim.....I think it has helped my center wear!! :up:

While I had the tires I put a straight edge across each rear and I could see daylight under the center tread!! I tried to take pix of each and hope y'all can see what I'm talking about?? :cool4:

It would seem that the treads either side of the center should be wearing now with 38 PSI.....We'll see?? ;)

Marauderjack
:pimp:

PS: I will attach photos next post......forgot to turn adzapper off.....

Marauderjack
03-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Oh Well......Can't post the photos for some reason???

Will try later!

Marauderjack :(

bugsys03
03-07-2004, 10:23 AM
That cant be right. The higher the pressure the more the center should wear.

duhtroll
03-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Normally I would agreee but there have been several examples of people on this board having greater center wear (myself included) with lower PSI on the rears. The majority of people with 34 PSI and up report normal wear.

Someone had a theory about tires spinning at higher speeds for mostly highway driving. Lower pressure could allow the center of the tire to expand more and bow out/wear more if most of the driving is done on the highway.

I know as soon as I put my shiny shoes back on they will be going up to 35 PSI to see what happens.

-A

Marauderjack
03-24-2004, 05:02 AM
For those interested.....

My rear tires appear to have stopped wearing on the center tread with air pressure at 38-40 PSI!!! :rock: :rock:

If I check pressure while in the garage it is about 38....after driving or while in the sun...40+!! :up:

The ride is not that bad and I can see that 20-25k is what I should get on the rears now?? :confused:

The fronts still look new!! :eek:

Marauderjack :rasta:

BTW.....Tire Rack ROCKS!!! :rock: :rock: When I ordered my new rears the price was $104 plus shipping.....I inquired about the $85.00 price and they honored it even though that special went off the end of February.....Nice Folks!!! :up:

Fourth Horseman
03-24-2004, 04:26 PM
For myself, I notice quite a bit of increased ride harshness just going from 34 psi (what I normally run) to 36 psi.

Smokie
03-24-2004, 04:43 PM
Here is a suggestion to settle the issue of the effect of tire pressure on the shape of rear tires.

Place a steel ruler on edge against the rear tire across the threads and observe point of contact. Then either add or release air and observe the change in the point of contact.
Place the ruler at about the 3 o'clock position while facing the wheel.

duhtroll
03-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Smoke -

The theory about expanding at highway speeds requires that you do that at 70 MPH.

I don't want anyone getting hurt.

:P

-A

Smokie
03-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Smoke -

The theory about expanding at highway speeds requires that you do that at 70 MPH.

-A
So then based on that theory the people who's driving habits are mostly city driving should not be having as much center wear as those who do a large percentage of high speed driving ?

Haggis
03-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Smoke -

-A

I don't know about you, but I can't run that fast.