PDA

View Full Version : Alerting people who cant drive.

BlackOps
02-21-2013, 07:40 PM
So my parked Marauder has been crashed into for the second time within a year in my condo parking lot. And this time was even worse than the last time. The whole front end was ripped off. I have always been very cautious where I park, whether it’s out in town or even in my own neighborhood. As most of you probably park in the rear of any parking lot, or even double park to avoid idiots, I try to do the same where I live as well.
I park my marauder in my reserved spot in the neighborhood right next to my other car/Honda. I park my Honda in the parking space normally, and then park my marauder as close to the Honda as possible. That way the marauder is protected from being hit/scratched on the Honda side, and is far away as possible to anyone that parks on the opposite side and their swinging doors. The parking lot doesn’t have great lighting, and being that my car is black, makes it harder to see at night. So anyways…. I’m ranting… and just wanted to give an idea/image of my parking situation.
I want to put up a brick wall, speed bumps and road cones all around my car, but I’m sure the HOA wouldn’t like that too much. Plus the neighborhood kids would probably steal the road cones. So I found a better solution!! I picked up a Smittybilt U.F.O. – Which is an LED 360 degree super bright road flare. The road flare is powered by CR123 lithium battery. The battery life can last from 8 hours to 100 hours depending on the blinking setting I choose. I would like to use this UFO in my windshield at night to alert other drivers to be cautious and not wreck into my car. May seem ridiculous, but until I move out of the neighborhood, this is about the only option I can think of to try to prevent careless drivers.
“Can” I convert this battery powered UFO to run from the power of my cigarette lighter plug, instead of buying expensive batteries?

jwibbity
02-21-2013, 07:50 PM
would the "neighborhood kids" try and take that, i know if i was a kid and saw that in somebodies windshield i would try and take it, just sayin

DOOM
02-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Good idea! :thinker:

Would be great if it already came with a lighter attachment.

Did you check to see if they offer some type of adaptor?

fastblackmerc
02-21-2013, 07:58 PM
So my parked Marauder has been crashed into for the second time within a year in my condo parking lot. And this time was even worse than the last time. The whole front end was ripped off. I have always been very cautious where I park, whether it’s out in town or even in my own neighborhood. As most of you probably park in the rear of any parking lot, or even double park to avoid idiots, I try to do the same where I live as well.
I park my marauder in my reserved spot in the neighborhood right next to my other car/Honda. I park my Honda in the parking space normally, and then park my marauder as close to the Honda as possible. That way the marauder is protected from being hit/scratched on the Honda side, and is far away as possible to anyone that parks on the opposite side and their swinging doors. The parking lot doesn’t have great lighting, and being that my car is black, makes it harder to see at night. So anyways…. I’m ranting… and just wanted to give an idea/image of my parking situation.
I want to put up a brick wall, speed bumps and road cones all around my car, but I’m sure the HOA wouldn’t like that too much. Plus the neighborhood kids would probably steal the road cones. So I found a better solution!! I picked up a Smittybilt U.F.O. – Which is an LED 360 degree super bright road flare. The road flare is powered by CR123 lithium battery. The battery life can last from 8 hours to 100 hours depending on the blinking setting I choose. I would like to use this UFO in my windshield at night to alert other drivers to be cautious and not wreck into my car. May seem ridiculous, but until I move out of the neighborhood, this is about the only option I can think of to try to prevent careless drivers.
“Can” I convert this battery powered UFO to run from the power of my cigarette lighter plug, instead of buying expensive batteries?

Can you post a link for the device?

BlackOps
02-21-2013, 08:13 PM
would the "neighborhood kids" try and take that, i know if i was a kid and saw that in somebodies windshield i would try and take it, just sayin

It would be inside the car on the dash. If they wanted to break into my car to get a flashing light, I will be within feet of them by the time they can break a window and snatch it.

BlackOps
02-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Can you post a link for the device?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/15179_0101.htm

BlackOps
02-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Good idea! :thinker:

Would be great if it already came with a lighter attachment.

Did you check to see if they offer some type of adaptor?

I didn't see an adapter. But I think it would be as easy as using an old cell phone cigarette lighter plug, then cutting off the end that plugs into the phone. The soldering the two wires to the battery + and -

MyBlackBeasts
02-21-2013, 08:31 PM
This one comes with a cig lighter plug:

http://salestores.com/aervoe11631s.html?gclid=CPCF8s 39yLUCFQ7NnAodaWcAhA

RacerX
02-21-2013, 08:56 PM
I didn't see an adapter. But I think it would be as easy as using an old cell phone cigarette lighter plug, then cutting off the end that plugs into the phone. The soldering the two wires to the battery + and -
No. That lithium battery does not look like a 12v. You may burn out the IC if you just wire it up to a lighter adapter.

GAMike
02-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Dave.... That suks bud.... Let me know if you need some help with the repairs.... I know a good guy to work with. He does panel refinish, dent removal and paint work....

fastblackmerc
02-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Here you go...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AERVOE-LED-Hockey-Puck-Safety-Road-Flare-Charger-/150926986097?pt=LH_DefaultDoma in_0&hash=item2323f30b71

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AERVOE-LED-ROAD-FLARE-MAGNETIC-RECHARGEABLE-WATER-CRUSH-CORROSION-PROOF-NRFB-/110908233609?pt=LH_DefaultDoma in_0&hash=item19d2a55789

CBT
02-22-2013, 04:50 AM
Did you catch the person?

Bluerauder
02-22-2013, 05:17 AM
.... this is about the only option I can think of to try to prevent careless drivers.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car. :(

You can't fix stupid. Not sure that I would classify them as "careless drivers". The better word is incompetent. Hitting a parked car means they don't have a clue about the dimensions of their own vehicle or are otherwise impaired.

The strobelight/road flare might actually make the problem worse by drawing unwanted attention to your parked car. If the strobe makes another driver look in its direction, their car will actually begin to veer or drift toward it. This phenomenon is fairly well known and accounts for many of the roadside accidents where people actually run into vehicles pulled off on the shoulder of the road .... whether there are flashing lights, cones, flares or whatnot.

I would leave it alone and possibly put the Honda in the vulnerable location. :D

BlackOps
02-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Dave.... That suks bud.... Let me know if you need some help with the repairs.... I know a good guy to work with. He does panel refinish, dent removal and paint work....

Thanks Mike. Does he do full on collision repair? I'm going to need a new front bumper, grill, both head lights, fog lights, and possibly corner lights. This happened almost two weeks ago. I've been working so much that I haven't had the time to bring it anywhere to get it fixed. Even worst, I have to look at my front end damage at least twice a day when going to and from work. I feel sick to my stomach every time I see it. PM me your number please. Thanks!

BlackOps
02-22-2013, 07:49 AM
This one comes with a cig lighter plug:

http://salestores.com/aervoe11631s.html?gclid=CPCF8s 39yLUCFQ7NnAodaWcAhA

Thanks, I will look into that one.

BlackOps
02-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Here you go...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AERVOE-LED-Hockey-Puck-Safety-Road-Flare-Charger-/150926986097?pt=LH_DefaultDoma in_0&hash=item2323f30b71

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AERVOE-LED-ROAD-FLARE-MAGNETIC-RECHARGEABLE-WATER-CRUSH-CORROSION-PROOF-NRFB-/110908233609?pt=LH_DefaultDoma in_0&hash=item19d2a55789

Thanks, I will look into these as well.

You being the master electronics tech... Do you think what I mentioned above is possible, or would I be better off purchasing one of the flares you linked.

GAMike
02-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Dave... You have a PM...

BlackOps
02-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Did you catch the person?

It was 0300 when I heard my alarm going off. I ran out outside to find my car tore apart, and someones front bumper laying in front of my car. Lucky for them, I did not catch the person(s) in the act. I called the police. When the officer arrived we walked around the neighborhood, and found the van that wrecked into my Marauder. Matched up the pieces found in front of my car, to the van we found. Perfect match! Being 0300 in the am, and a hit and run, I'm 100% sure this guy was drinking. Not to mention the case of Tequila in his back seat! The office told me he had more important priorities, which I can understand, but at the same time.... I don't want to pay for this out of my pocket. The officer took my name and number, then left.

After he left, I decided I'd do my own investigating. So I went door to door in my neighborhood. Luckily the first door that I went King Kong on with my flashlight (against a metal door) was the jacka$$ who wrecked into my car. Two guys answered the door looking scared because of the COP KNOCK I did. One was the owner of the van, and the other was the guys son. I yelled, who the van belonged to, and who wrecked into my car. At the same time, they both pointed to a door inside their home. The guy who wrecked into my car locked himself inside his bedroom, and would not come out. Good for him.. other wise I would have Homer Simpon choked his @$&! After yelling at the two guys for an hour, I told them to be at my door step at 0700 sharp, and any second later I'd be looking for them. 0659 all three of them were at my door. We exchanged info, and now its a waiting game. I'll have to find time to bring my car in for repair.

By the way, the officer did call be back the next day, to inform me that he reported it to the investigators. Also the investigator left me a voice mail. I did not think they would have called me back, but glad they did.

Mac-MerC
02-22-2013, 12:13 PM
damn thats ****ed up man.

fastblackmerc
02-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks, I will look into these as well.

You being the master electronics tech... Do you think what I mentioned above is possible, or would I be better off purchasing one of the flares you linked.

I think it would be better purchasing one.

The original one you had could be retrofitted but it would cost more than buying one that could be charged on 12V.