PDA

View Full Version : Map Light Bulb Replacement???

FLA RAUD FAN
03-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Ok guys', this is a minor job... but it is not in the Owners manual. I can't figure out how to get to the map light bulbs in the overhead console. I have the longer console in the 03 MM. This might seem like a dufus question but I have tried several ways but can't get to the damn things... I'm worried that I will break something. I'm sure one of you will be able to tell me and it will probably be very easy once I kow the proper way. Thanks in advance!
Jonathan

Sactown
03-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Ok guys', this is a minor job... but it is not in the Owners manual. I can't figure out how to get to the map light bulbs in the overhead console. I have the longer console in the 03 MM. This might seem like a dufus question but I have tried several ways but can't get to the damn things... I'm worried that I will break something. I'm sure one of you will be able to tell me and it will probably be very easy once I kow the proper way. Thanks in advance!
Jonathan
I have no clue how to access the bulb, but wouldn't something like this be covered by the waranty?

RCSignals
03-09-2004, 01:39 AM
You have to remove the whole console. There is a detailed procedure described in the Service Manual. Sactown is right, if it's a case of them not working, take it to the dealer. While there ask them to print out the description of how to remove and replace the overhead console

gja
03-09-2004, 07:57 AM
What brilliant lad of an engineer designed a console that must be removed to re-lamp? I really wonder sometimes if they give any thought to the poor owners and service-people that have to deal with the ramifications of their designs. :mad2:

Marauder
03-09-2004, 08:06 AM
What brilliant lad of an engineer designed a console that must be removed to re-lamp? I really wonder sometimes if they give any thought to the poor owners and service-people that have to deal with the ramifications of their designs. :mad2:
So you're telling me you can't pop out that lens to replace the bulbs?
That's dumb.

:down: :bs:

gja
03-09-2004, 08:23 AM
From the previous posts, that is what others are saying.
If that is true I will be re-lamping it with LEDs so I never have to deal with it again after the originals blow.

Ross
03-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Sometimes I think that engineers intentionally design things that way so that you will have to bring the car back to the dealer to pay for work to be done.

FLA RAUD FAN
03-09-2004, 11:02 AM
You have to remove the whole console. There is a detailed procedure described in the Service Manual. Sactown is right, if it's a case of them not working, take it to the dealer. While there ask them to print out the description of how to remove and replace the overhead console
Thanks RC I noticed today that there are 2 screws in the sunglass compartment and another up front by the windshield. The bulbs are ok so it is not a warranty thing. They are sooo bright I wanted to try some green or red bulbs to see what that would be like!
I guess as cars get more complicated, something like changing a bulb must be complicated too.
Thanks, Jonathan

Ross
03-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Hey, Fla Raud Fan, after you take the console out, please let us know how it went in case there are any unexpected wires that fall out, etc. More info is better for the collective database.

FLA RAUD FAN
03-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Hey, Fla Raud Fan, after you take the console out, please let us know how it went in case there are any unexpected wires that fall out, etc. More info is better for the collective database.
Will do!!
Jonathan

FLA RAUD FAN
03-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Just removed all visible screws and the overhead console won't budge!! It moves a bit more but there are probably some snaps in certain areas etc. but,I am still hesitant to pry on it for fear of breaking it. If someone has access to the service manual please post the procedure for removing the overhead console. I will check the thread a bit later and see what the wrench guys say.
JP

RCSignals
03-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Just removed all visible screws and the overhead console won't budge!! It moves a bit more but there are probably some snaps in certain areas etc. but,I am still hesitant to pry on it for fear of breaking it. If someone has access to the service manual please post the procedure for removing the overhead console. I will check the thread a bit later and see what the wrench guys say.
JP

it is held in by clips. you don't want to just pull it down in any fashion, as you'll likely break the clips. Follow the procedure in the Shop Manual and you should be fine.

You may need a Torx screwdriver to get access to some of the bulbs. Be careful of the wiring for the compass.

STLThunder
03-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Hmmm.... and I was going to suggest the proverbial ball peen hammer :D

FLA RAUD FAN
03-09-2004, 08:50 PM
it is held in by clips. you don't want to just pull it down in any fashion, as you'll likely break the clips. Follow the procedure in the Shop Manual and you should be fine.

You may need a Torx screwdriver to get access to some of the bulbs. Be careful of the wiring for the compass.
RC
That's just it.....I don't have the shop manual!!!! If someone here doesn't post the procedure I guess I'll make a trip to the friendly local LM dealer.
JP

FLA RAUD FAN
03-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Ok guys, Carfixer was nice enough to e-mail me the service manual instructions, and once I received them I was able to remove the console with no problems. I have replaced the bulbs with 2 green bulbs and will find out tonight if the change was worthwhile or if I need to go back to the originals.
It is nice to have this site and to be able to get info from all the good members that we have. Thanks Claude.
JP

FLA RAUD FAN
03-10-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm satisfied with the new bulbs. Bright enough to read something by, but not so much like a spotlight as the stock bulbs. If you need more light, then the large overhead light does a good job. The colored bulbs are more discreet if you just need a small amount of light. I think red would work well too.
Once the console was dropped the wiring for the compass etc. was not a problem. A small torx driver was necessary to remove the bulb housing. The console then just snapped back into place easily.
JP

nslatin
03-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Any chance of posting those instructions? I tried to take the console down also and stopped cause I didn't want to snap something.

I was thinking of hard wiring my radar det. to a connection in the console. I ended up using the power plug in the back of the rear view mirror, but this seems less than ideal.

Thanks,

Neal

FLA RAUD FAN
03-11-2004, 08:35 AM
This is straight from the service manual:
For vehicles with the long console with sunglass storage compartment.
1) Disconnect battery ground cable. ( I did not do this step, did not want to possibly lose my DR PCM flash)
2) Remove screw at the front of console.
3) Open sunglass storage compartment and remove two screws.
4) Disengage the six clip attachments by first pulling down on the front end of the overhead console. ( I used a flat flexible metal putty knife to get started and not damage the fabric) Remove the overhead console.
* Disconnect the electrical connectors.
5) To install, reverse the removal procedure.

For vehicles with roof opening panel

1) Disconnect battery ground cable.
2) CAUTION: The overhead console bracket is supported by the headliner. Failure to follow the removal procedure will damage the headliner!!
Support the headliner at the rear corner of the overhead console and pull down on that corner to remove the overhead console.
* Disconnect the electrical connectors
3) To, install, reverse the removal procedure.

For those who need pictures ( Marty , TAF etc. ) !!! HAH. I can e-mail the PDF form that I got from Carfixer
JP

nslatin
03-11-2004, 09:24 AM
This site is great! Thanks again.

Marauder85
04-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Can anyone tell me the shop manual's instructions on how to remove the headliner console so I can LED the dome and map lights? I don't have a manual and I know there's special tricks to get it off, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

fastblackmerc
04-21-2013, 03:18 AM
Can anyone tell me the shop manual's instructions on how to remove the headliner console so I can LED the dome and map lights? I don't have a manual and I know there's special tricks to get it off, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Did you read any posts in this thread?

See post #18.

Mebot
04-21-2013, 03:50 AM
headliner console is the same as long overhead console. the directions to remove are in the previous post above.

sent from space

Marauder85
04-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks to all for the info and no I didn't see the post with the instructions when I posted that question, thanks again guys, I appreciate it!

IwantmyMMnow!
04-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Holy old thread ressurrection Batman!

This thread's older than my daughter....:eek:

marauder man
09-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Any idea how to get to the map and dome light bulbs in an 04?

Ambitious1
09-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Just be careful of the clips when you're pulling it off:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82100

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18990&highlight=remove+overhead+cons ole

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13992&highlight=remove+overhead+cons ole

fastblackmerc
09-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Any idea how to get to the map and dome light bulbs in an 04?

If it's a short overhead console read post #18. There are two clips and no screws in the sun glass compartment.

marauder man
09-05-2016, 04:33 PM
How do I access these?

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPpi0-J8uSLGdX8dZZu25jkdYPHSWWSGDDND 1sRhttps://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPpi0-J8uSLGdX8dZZu25jkdYPHSWWSGDDND 1sR

marauder man
09-05-2016, 04:35 PM
How do I access these?

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPpi0-J8uSLGdX8dZZu25jkdYPHSWWSGDDND 1sRhttps://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPpi0-J8uSLGdX8dZZu25jkdYPHSWWSGDDND 1sR

Sorry, can't get the picture to work. I'm asking about the back dome lights.

fastblackmerc
09-06-2016, 03:21 AM
Sorry, can't get the picture to work. I'm asking about the back dome lights.

I assume you mean the rear reading lights?

The covers come off on those. Rotate the lights and you'll see a seam, use a small pry tool to separate the cover from the body. You'll need 42mm festoon bulbs. I have them in LEDs if you need them.