PDA

View Full Version : Granatelli’s “Hi-PERF Coils”

Gabby1
03-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000007070 StartFragment:0000002514 EndFragment:0000007034 BE WARNED!!!
:mad2:

I purchased “Granatelli Performance Coils” after reading threads here at Mercury Marauder.net. I will state, "I" read the opinions and purchased the coils and watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEGOCm2jWPo. I must state, in no way is this awesome site to blame. "I" should have researched the coils more and would have discovered “Granatelli Performance Coils” are garbage, in my and only my opinion.
I purchased Granatelli’s “Hi-PERF Coils” from JEGS and installed them prior to 80K mile schedule on my 2003 Mercury Marauder in Jul 2012. I had no issues for 8 months, in-fact, my Marauder had a little more punch.

The fun started March 20, 2013. My Marauder started to buck & choke, the check engine light started flashing, and cars were now on my bumper as I was in the left lane yet driving like a little old lady from south Florida. I pulled off the road and listened to my baby. I smelled un-burned gas and could hear her clamoring for relief out of the exhaust. I assumed she had a bad catalytic converter as I do have experience with that yet not a multiple coil engine machine. I turned around, armed the flashers, and nursed my baby the 10 miles to Brookstone Auto Center (BSA), a Goodyear Dealer near my house in Kennesaw, GA

BSA discovered a dead coil pack and now fouled plug. I thought impossible! After they showed me the recorded data and the plug, I was floored. They explained coil packs go bad, etc., but these new Granatelli’s? They fixed my Marauder. I paid the bill of $263.65, which included the initial diagnostic fee and moved forward. My Marauder was her old self again.

My bliss lasted a whopping 10 days – 10, only 10 days! While driving home March 30, 2013 my mean machine started bucking & choking, the check engine light started flashing and cars were now on my bumper again…Déjà vu! My instant reaction was, “You have got to be kidding me!”

FFWD…back to BSA and guess what? This time it wasn’t just “a” coil, rather 4 more coils were dead! WTF? It was official, 2 coils we dead on the left bank and 2 more on the right bank. The garbage Granatelli sells to us, the consumers, floors me. When BSA swapped the initial coil pack, I had them install factory Motorcraft parts. Needless to say, I had them swap out the remaining 7 Granatelli coil packs, not just the latest 4 to go bad as I had had enough of their inferior products. BSA did their part so after paying $984.51, I drove my baby the 1.2 miles home while yelling expletives the entire way.

As for the Granatelli Company? They should be ashamed for selling the poorest quality automotive parts I’ve ever purchased in my life. I suggest they sell all their inferior products to China as a little payback for their computer hacking against our country.

DO NOT BUY their products!

Gabby1
03-31-2013, 08:09 AM
I meant to say I "should have" watched the video 1st... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEGOCm2jWPo.

License2Bill
03-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up! Sorry to hear about your problems though.

Side note: Granatelli used to be a vendor on The Corral, but were removed when somebody realized that their some of their parts (tubular A-Arms I believe) were a exact copy albeit with lower quality of the ones that Maximum Motorsports sells.

fastblackmerc
03-31-2013, 10:12 AM
You can't go wrong with Ford COPs.

Mr. Man
03-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Send the packs back to Granetelli in a box of cow poo. Most members stick with the Ford stuff.

MyBlackBeasts
03-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000007070 StartFragment:0000002514 EndFragment:0000007034 BE WARNED!!!
:mad2:

I purchased “Granatelli Performance Coils” after reading threads here at Mercury Marauder.net. I will state, "I" read the opinions and purchased the coils and watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEGOCm2jWPo. I must state, in no way is this awesome site to blame. "I" should have researched the coils more and would have discovered “Granatelli Performance Coils” are garbage, in my and only my opinion.
I purchased Granatelli’s “Hi-PERF Coils” from JEGS and installed them prior to 80K mile schedule on my 2003 Mercury Marauder in Jul 2012. I had no issues for 8 months, in-fact, my Marauder had a little more punch.

The fun started March 20, 2013. My Marauder started to buck & choke, the check engine light started flashing, and cars were now on my bumper as I was in the left lane yet driving like a little old lady from south Florida. I pulled off the road and listened to my baby. I smelled un-burned gas and could hear her clamoring for relief out of the exhaust. I assumed she had a bad catalytic converter as I do have experience with that yet not a multiple coil engine machine. I turned around, armed the flashers, and nursed my baby the 10 miles to Brookstone Auto Center (BSA), a Goodyear Dealer near my house in Kennesaw, GA

BSA discovered a dead coil pack and now fouled plug. I thought impossible! After they showed me the recorded data and the plug, I was floored. They explained coil packs go bad, etc., but these new Granatelli’s? They fixed my Marauder. I paid the bill of $263.65, which included the initial diagnostic fee and moved forward. My Marauder was her old self again.

My bliss lasted a whopping 10 days – 10, only 10 days! While driving home March 30, 2013 my mean machine started bucking & choking, the check engine light started flashing and cars were now on my bumper again…Déjà vu! My instant reaction was, “You have got to be kidding me!”

FFWD…back to BSA and guess what? This time it wasn’t just “a” coil, rather 4 more coils were dead! WTF? It was official, 2 coils we dead on the left bank and 2 more on the right bank. The garbage Granatelli sells to us, the consumers, floors me. When BSA swapped the initial coil pack, I had them install factory Motorcraft parts. Needless to say, I had them swap out the remaining 7 Granatelli coil packs, not just the latest 4 to go bad as I had had enough of their inferior products. BSA did their part so after paying $984.51, I drove my baby the 1.2 miles home while yelling expletives the entire way.

As for the Granatelli Company? They should be ashamed for selling the poorest quality automotive parts I’ve ever purchased in my life. I suggest they sell all their inferior products to China as a little payback for their computer hacking against our country.

DO NOT BUY their products!

You should send the bad COPs and copies of your repair invoices to them and request reimbursement of all the costs you incurred from their crap product.

Given the number of posts on how bad they are, they probably already are aware of the fact they are *****.

Everyone hear says OEM are best & Granatelli are junk, good enought for me so I never purchased them. Sorry to hear of your headaches... :shake:

whitey
03-31-2013, 02:28 PM
Thats a shame, sorry to hear about it.

Baconbit
03-31-2013, 02:55 PM
I just put their coil Connectors on my OEM Ford Coils and they worked out great. Easy to install also. Definite upgrade over the stock "springs".

justbob
03-31-2013, 03:30 PM
I had to braze three of their POS coil connectors together today just to keep going on my project. JUNK!

Every time I would try to push it down the cable would just slide into the connector, top or bottom, thanks to the half ass crimps they did.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

hotford
03-31-2013, 04:28 PM
The name Granatelli Performance should not be allowed in the same sentence, this POS was doing the same crap in the 90's, he doesnt make anything and copies others hard work and puts his name on the products,
everything he sells is crap............his dad would be ashamed of him if he knew what his kid was doing.

screamn
03-31-2013, 06:36 PM
I had the same experience with their high performance coils which came with the solid connectors attached.

One coil went then about 2 or 3 days later 3 more bad coils. :censor: :mad2:

Took them all out and replaced with OEM Motorcaft. Problem solved and $400+ wasted.

I sent all 8 back for warranty and they mailed me back 8 brand new ones and I sold them.

All I can say is:

CRAPATELLI!!!!!!! :shake: