PDA

View Full Version : Car stereo gurus, please help!

sflrainmaker01
04-30-2013, 06:52 PM
My car currently has a Alpine CDA 9827 in it WITHOUT a faceplate. The previous owner said someone took the faceplate. It had some sort of monster system in it at one point. I have looked for a similar radio on eBay. I might buy one just to change out the harness and see what I got. Meanwhile, there are alot of connections I don't know about. For example, look at the pics and tell me what the two clear plastic "boxes" are that each have RCA plugs? What are they for? Also, can anyone tell from my photography whether or not the factory wiring is still intact or has it been hacked into.
Thanks!

JBFTech
04-30-2013, 07:09 PM
The clear boxes are line level converters, which take the signals from the speaker wiring and send out via RCA jacks. These would be used to install an aftermarket amp using the factory radio, or some other radio that doesn't have RCA jacks. As for the factory wiring, it looks like it's been hacked into, at least partially......it looks like the connector is still there, with an aftermarket add-on harness connected. You may be better off finding a new radio, and getting a new add-on harness to splice to the new radio harness. You shouldn't need the RCA boxes.

After a second look....best guess is it appears that someone added aftermarket amps using the stock radio at one point, then later on added the aftermarket radio, and just left the boxes. So most likely the factory speaker wiring is spliced into, but that should be it.

sflrainmaker01
04-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Those two plastic boxes are wired into the purple speaker wires coming off the aftermarket radio harness. There are like 3 or 4 regular type speaker wires spliced in. See additional pic....

JBFTech
04-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Hmm, that radio had 3 sets of RCA outputs, so it's odd to see 2 converter boxes there too, but you mention that it had a monster system in it at one point so they probably had a purpose. What are your plans for the system now? Also, what does it have now as far as door/deck speakers, subs, etc?

sflrainmaker01
04-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Hmm, that radio had 3 sets of RCA outputs, so it's odd to see 2 converter boxes there too, but you mention that it had a monster system in it at one point so they probably had a purpose. What are your plans for the system now? Also, what does it have now as far as door/deck speakers, subs, etc?

Right now, I would just like to see what is there without having to take out door panels etc. Initial inspection, it looks like there are Alpine 6x9s in the back. I am assuming the speakers in the doors are still there. The factory sub is gone. There were some tweeters in the doors at one point. The guy left the housing and took the actual speakers...:shake:

PLANS: I would just like some decent tunes. It doesn't have to be outrageous. Besides, the exhaust is music enough right now!!!! :P

JBFTech
05-01-2013, 04:24 AM
It sounds like you most likely have the front and rear speakers still, so IMO to start out with, I'd pick new deck and get a new adapter harness! Most people here are using a double din replacement, such as one of the Pioneer units like I've got, and they fit like a glove when installed correctly. I'll take a pic and get a model number later. You won't need the adapter harness or RCA boxes that are installed now, and it looks like your factory connectors are all there. Once you get a deck installed, you can see what she sounds like, and go from there on the speakers and sub. If you do go this route, I would run at least one set of RCA cables from the deck, so that if you do add subs later, you won't have to pull the deck back out. If you think you might run the door and deck speakers on a 4ch amp later, run RCA cables out for those too!

fastblackmerc
05-01-2013, 06:17 AM
I have a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT. It has navigation, blue tooth, runs apps from your smart phone like Pandora.

As stated it fits like a glove in the stock opening.

You need an installation kit, wiring kit and a steering wheel intefrace if ou want to keep the steering wheel controls.

I got mine from Pop's Stereo. PM Pops (aka John) and he'll fix you up with what you need.

PM me if you have any questions.

fastblackmerc
05-01-2013, 06:21 AM
There are Alpine CDA 9827 complete radios and faceplates on eBay.

sflrainmaker01
05-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Thanks for your help so far!

I have a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT. It has navigation, blue tooth, runs apps from your smart phone like Pandora.

As stated it fits like a glove in the stock opening.

You need an installation kit, wiring kit and a steering wheel intefrace if ou want to keep the steering wheel controls.

I got mine from Pop's Stereo. PM Pops (aka John) and he'll fix you up with what you need.

PM me if you have any questions.

Damn, that is a nice unit! A little pricey for me but I get the idea and the possibilities from that one. I was also told that I could get an 05 or 06 Escape Audiophile setup that should plug right in and would sound pretty good to with a built in 6 disc changer. But, those touch screen deals are pretty nice and having the ability to expand the system is important too.

So, a "double din" is what would fit.....

fastblackmerc
05-01-2013, 06:32 AM
Thanks for your help so far!

Damn, that is a nice unit! A little pricey for me but I get the idea and the possibilities from that one. I was also told that I could get an 05 or 06 Escape Audiophile setup that should plug right in and would sound pretty good to with a built in 6 disc changer. But, those touch screen deals are pretty nice and having the ability to expand the system is important too.

So, a "double din" is what would fit.....

Yes a double din will fit. You will need to remove the upper and lower lip in the opening. Easily done with a razor knife.

I'd check with Pops as he might have some "deals". I was able to get a $100.00 rebate on my unit.

sflrainmaker01
05-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Yes a double din will fit. You will need to remove the upper and lower lip in the opening. Easily done with a razor knife.

I'd check with Pops as he might have some "deals". I was able to get a $100.00 rebate on my unit.

By cutting or trimming the opening, does that effect the ability to stick a stock radio back in at a later point if one chooses to do so?

I saw on the Pioneer site that they had some rebates. I am trying to do this on the cheap so I can save my $$ for front and rear bumpers, a spoiler and a future paint job. Of course, I still have to send you my EATC.....:cool:

fastblackmerc
05-01-2013, 06:56 AM
By cutting or trimming the opening, does that effect the ability to stick a stock radio back in at a later point if one chooses to do so?

I saw on the Pioneer site that they had some rebates. I am trying to do this on the cheap so I can save my $$ for front and rear bumpers, a spoiler and a future paint job. Of course, I still have to send you my EATC.....:cool:

No, you can install the stock radio later.

BTW....

Ford Audiophile unit to replace stock MM:
6L8T-18C815-FD
Runs the factory sub and there is no need for the stock changer as the audiophile system is a 6-disc in unit player. Everything is right at your finger tips including steering wheel control function.

There are 4 on eBay right now. One for $139.00 or Best offer with free shipping.

sflrainmaker01
05-01-2013, 07:02 AM
I was strongly considering the factory unit, but I wasn't sure how hacked up the original wiring was. Also, I have a few sub setups laying around. I was hoping to hook up a small one for now. Would that work with the factory unit? Say a small 8 or 10" tube type?

fastblackmerc
05-01-2013, 07:32 AM
I was strongly considering the factory unit, but I wasn't sure how hacked up the original wiring was. Also, I have a few sub setups laying around. I was hoping to hook up a small one for now. Would that work with the factory unit? Say a small 8 or 10" tube type?

Plenty of people have replaced the stock sub. Do a goggle search and you'll find them. I went with an Infinity BASSLINK.

8UWITH6
05-01-2013, 09:24 AM
I might have missed it but did anybody ask if there were amplifiers installed anywhere in this setup? That will be important to know when he starts changing equipment and wiring everything back up.

sflrainmaker01
05-01-2013, 09:40 AM
I might have missed it but did anybody ask if there were amplifiers installed anywhere in this setup? That will be important to know when he starts changing equipment and wiring everything back up.

Good question. There isn't any amps that I could find. Except, I don't know where to look for the factory one. There is a ton of wiring, especially in the trunk.

BTW, I am keeping an eye on the CDA 9827's on eBay. That seems like it might be the quickest solution just to see what works without having to start from scratch (which might be an option). Also, I do like the Audiophile stock upgrade. I am still not sure as to how I could expand that stock unit with a sub setup. Would I have to find a Powered sub to work with stock unit?

JBFTech
05-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Yes you would need a powered sub to work with the stock head unit, otherwise use those RCA converter boxes and mount any amp, sub, and box of your choice in the trunk. You may already have power and ground wiring ran to the trunk, possibly remote leads too, all you would need then is a set of RCA cables. Let us know what all you see in the trunk, and of any wiring you see added under the hood.

sflrainmaker01
05-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Yes you would need a powered sub to work with the stock head unit, otherwise use those RCA converter boxes and mount any amp, sub, and box of your choice in the trunk. You may already have power and ground wiring ran to the trunk, possibly remote leads too, all you would need then is a set of RCA cables. Let us know what all you see in the trunk, and of any wiring you see added under the hood.

Only other stuff are the speaker wires, power wires and RCA cords in the trunk (laying there). Under the hood, there is a nice fused power supply off the battery for the stereo with nice thick cables.

JBFTech
05-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Sounds like you already have what you need for a nice amp and sub setup. All you have to decide is whether you want a powered sub, or put together a box and an amp, and pick a head unit! You should be set either way you go.

8UWITH6
05-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Looks like someone had it all wired up then took all the stuff out. You could pull all that stuff out if you wanted and just wire in the factory plug to your new radio.

HOWEVER, you need to find out if your door/rear speakers where run off an amp (speaker wires going to the trunk) or if they where ran off the radio that you pulled out (factory wiring).

That is what you need to figure out. Pull up the carpet on the drivers side and see if there are speaker wire runs to the front doors. HTH

sflrainmaker01
05-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Just to follow up. I just dug out a bunch of old stereo equipment I had acquired over the years to see if I could make a "system". I started with an older Pioneer CD deck 50x4 and it looks like it is CD changer compatible. It just so happens I have a Pioneer CD changer:cool:. That's for later. The Alpine speakers in the rear have 2 connections on each speaker. Of course, they were connected by the wire being twisted on the tab of the speaker. So, I fixed that and while I was in the trunk, I noticed that there is NO sign of anything factory stereo wise. There are a couple of connectors that might go to the amp and sub. But, both are long gone. So, the rear deck speakers have wires running to the front and the side door speakers are running thru the harness (after I reconnected everything).
Then, I followed the wires to the dash and also ran a RCA cable from the trunk to the deck while I was at it so I could hook up an amp and sub. From there, I disconnected the Alpine with no faceplate and hooked up the Pioneer and had sound to the back speakers! However, the guy had the two rear speakers running off of ONE channel of the stereo. :rolleyes: Fixed that too. Then, I cut out those RCA adapters for the front speakers and reconnected that nightmare wire setup and now I have fronts too!!
Last, I hooked up the sub. Not sure which set up I should go with, but for now there is a 10 inch tube running off of my 140 watt Alpine amp that I bought 10 years ago and never used. I put in on the shelf in the trunk. The whole thing sounds decent, but, not great. I will play with it after I get back from my little road trip this weekend. I also have a pair of 6" Kicker Subs in boxes (like tubes) and a box with a pair of Sony Xplode 12" subs that I can mess around with later.
At least I will have tunes and a clock on this road trip! :burnout:

sflrainmaker01
05-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Just to follow up. Then, I cut out those RCA adapters for the front speakers and reconnected that nightmare wire setup and now I have fronts too!!
Last, I hooked up the sub. Not sure which set up I should go with, but for now there is a 10 inch tube running off of my 140 watt Alpine amp that I bought 10 years ago and never used. I put in on the shelf in the trunk. The whole thing sounds decent, but, not great. I will play with it after I get back from my little road trip this weekend. I also have a pair of 6" Kicker Subs in boxes (like tubes) and a box with a pair of Sony Xplode 12" subs that I can mess around with later.
At least I will have tunes and a clock on this road trip! :burnout:

Well, I didn't reply earlier because I have been too busy to figure this out some more. But, wouldn't you know it, the next morning neither front speaker worked. So, never bothered to listen after all. Couldn't get it to sound close to good with just backs and sub.
I figured a couple wires came loose since I ran out of connectors. :rolleyes: I just went out and redid the whole wiring thing with real nice connectors and all. Now I only have the left front. No right front whatsoever. I double and triple checked connectors and measured output from speaker wire from radio. There's power out to the right. I guess it must be a loose wire in the door or something. How much trouble is it to Remove and REPLACE door panel on Passenger side?

8UWITH6
05-08-2013, 07:44 PM
It is a 2 beer job ;)

sflrainmaker01
05-08-2013, 09:20 PM
It is a 2 beer job ;)

Well, two beers go down pretty quick on a steamy Florida afternoon!:beer: