PDA

View Full Version : Horn went insane the other day.

Steve
05-12-2013, 10:23 AM
My horn starting going off non-stop the other day while just sitting in the driveway. Unhooked the battery, unhooked the horn. Now it seems that I've lost cruise control. What in the blue hell has happened here? Electrical short of some sort?

michael ward
05-12-2013, 10:45 AM
That happened to my buddys gm few years back horn going crazy for no reason. He took it to dealer they replaced both horns no more problem.

BAD MERC
05-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Sounds like a bad clockspring. Easy replacement if you have the knowledge to remove airbag and steering wheel.

Steve
05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Sounds like a bad clockspring. Easy replacement if you have the knowledge to remove airbag and steering wheel.

Is there a link to a how-to on this?

Ken
09-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Did you ever get this fixed? Asking because my horn works but the cruise control quit while I was in ATL for MVXI. Can't seem to find any fuses or relays listed. Any links to info on changing this clockspring? Anything else to look for? TIA

RF Overlord
09-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Ken, if you have an ohmmeter, there's a very simple test you can perform that will check the clockspring and the cruise switches.

You just have to unhook the connector for the cruise servo (on the driver's side wheel well) and measure the resistance between pins 5 and 6 while pressing the various buttons. I'll dig the numbers out of the service manual as soon as I can find it.

Krytin
09-29-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm having similar problems w/airbag fault & horn.
Also looking for the right part # for the clockspring.

justbob
09-29-2013, 01:09 PM
This is the one I bought. Air bag light restored and my radio controls now work.

As for changing, they are very simple. If you get stuck send me a PM. I'm not very good with write ups..

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Krytin
09-29-2013, 04:09 PM
This is the one I bought. Air bag light restored and my radio controls now work.

As for changing, they are very simple. If you get stuck send me a PM. I'm not very good with write ups..

"Since 2004"

Thanks for the reply but which one did you get? No link or PN in the post.
There are a bunch of YouTube videos on the replacement and it looks very simple!

justbob
09-29-2013, 08:08 PM
My bad.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=321142618775

"Since 2004"

Krytin
09-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks!!!!!!