PDA

View Full Version : Double Din Touchscreen/Nav Suggestion

capt512
05-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Hey Everyone,

Another member's thread about his radio going out got me thinking. I have had similar problems with my radio, so when the day comes (which I assume will be sooner rather than later) for me to replace my stock radio, I want to have an idea what I am going to be replacing it with.

I have looked through the "Show me your double dins" thread to get some ideas but am still looking for some advice.

I looked at the Escape Audiophile radio that many are using and while it looks nice, the price isn't that much cheaper for one than I could getting a double din NAV unit for. So I am considering going with a nav unit instead.

I do like very factory looking everything. So I will NOT be putting a sub box in the trunk, want any buttons on the faceplate surround to match interior light color or darn close. The more factory looking the better. The less permanent modifications I have to do to the interior the better also

I would like to have the following options with the headunit -
1. Navigation (I have nav on my Samsung Note 2 Android Phone, but if I'm going to go to the expense and word to install a double din it should have it also).
2. Steering wheel controls (want to be able to use my current steering wheel controls as if the unit was factory)
3. Doesn't make sound any worse, preferably better and works with stock setup (will not be changing out stock sub or door speakers for a while).
4. Works with bluetooth (would like to be able to use Pandora, etc without having to connect phone manually).
5. Bright screen, have a hard time seeing the lower end pioneer I put in my mother's truck in the sun...so I want to make sure that isn't an issue.
6. Quick response to touch and startup.

Other options - Would like an internal harddrive or be able to use factory cd changer...or both. Would really like to still be able to use factory cd changer.
Could care less about DVD playback.
Would be nice to be able to add a backup camera, but not neccesary.

I'm looking to spend around $400 or less on the unit (I know I will be getting used most likely, but can find plenty of used in good condition on Ebay for similar).

So looking for suggestions on what to get, Brand & Model. Then I can look around for pricing.

Thanks everyone!

justbob
05-12-2013, 05:38 PM
I "think" everything in your want list, including the price (besides add ons) my Pioneer AVIC F700BT will handle.

I got a great deal from Pops on here. John can hook you up with everything in need.

No DVD (don't need) and the key beeps are really annoying, other than that its been great.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

fastblackmerc
05-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Pioneer AVIC X940BT.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC940/Pioneer-AVIC-X940BT.html?search=avic+x940bt&osp=avic+x940bt&tp=20212

dmjarosz
05-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Wasnt there a member on here who put a touchscreen/navigation head unit from a lincoln navigator in their Rauder?I think he was from Europe. Someone refresh my memory please.

All I remember is it looked stock but he had to make a custom wiring harness.

capt512
05-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! I forgot to mention I would also like to have RDS still if possible. I really enjoy having it and would hate to loose it. 99% of the stations in my area broadcast it so its nice to be able to see the song title and artist info just by looking at the radio.

guspech750
05-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Wasnt there a member on here who put a touchscreen/navigation head unit from a lincoln navigator in their Rauder?I think he was from Europe. Someone refresh my memory please.

All I remember is it looked stock but he had to make a custom wiring harness.

Yes. That looked the best!! So OEM.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

burt ragio
05-13-2013, 06:23 AM
Kenwood DNX 6140 See Crutchfield for info.

capt512
05-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Any pros or cons of Kenwood vs Pioneer? I know back in the day when I had my original Marauder Kenwood was what everyone was recommending, now it seems more to be Pioneer. Just wondering if there were any big problems with either.

capt512
05-13-2013, 02:35 PM
I tried finding the thread for the Navigator H/U install but no luck

Vortech347
05-13-2013, 03:02 PM

I'd like to see that too!

dmjarosz
05-13-2013, 07:06 PM
I think I remember it being from a 05-06 Navigator. Anyone here with access to wiring diagrams? Shouldnt be too much work to check if the wiring would line up.

guspech750
05-13-2013, 07:12 PM

I thought I had it saved. But I guess I did not :(

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

capt512
05-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Well did a forum search for all posts with the word Navigator or Aviator and looked at all 40 pages. No luck :( After looking at both online, it appears the only one that might have a chance of working is the Aviator as the Navigator has part of the dash attached to it and is much larger than double din size total. The aviator looks like it might work..though not sure how you would secure it in the dash...

VMARAUDER
05-16-2013, 08:06 AM
Why is it that Crutchfield says all 2 din radios does not fit whena double din is in there. I always wondered about that

capt512
05-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Because our cars require modification for many to work.

tbone
05-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Pioneer AVIC X940BT.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC940/Pioneer-AVIC-X940BT.html?search=avic+x940bt&osp=avic+x940bt&tp=20212

I have this. Thumbs up!

fastblackmerc
05-17-2013, 06:12 AM
Why is it that Crutchfield says all 2 din radios does not fit whena double din is in there. I always wondered about that

Because our cars require modification for many to work.

The modification is very easy to do.

Once you remove the stock headunit, you have to remove the small lip on the top & bottom of the opening. Multiple passes with a razor knife and the lips will break off. Leave the side lips.

capt512
05-17-2013, 03:09 PM
How are the map updates on the pioneer avic-x940bt and kenwood dnx6140? Am I going to have to pay $100 a year to get map updates?

fastblackmerc
05-17-2013, 03:27 PM
How are the map updates on the pioneer avic-x940bt and kenwood dnx6140? Am I going to have to pay $100 a year to get map updates?

I've never paid for an update... even when I had my AVIC-D2. You can always find the new DVD's on the internet..... bit torrent.....

burt ragio
05-18-2013, 09:32 AM
This past week I was in two neighborhoods & realized it is time update my map system in my gps.

dmjarosz
05-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Well did a forum search for all posts with the word Navigator or Aviator and looked at all 40 pages. No luck :( After looking at both online, it appears the only one that might have a chance of working is the Aviator as the Navigator has part of the dash attached to it and is much larger than double din size total. The aviator looks like it might work..though not sure how you would secure it in the dash...

Ah ha! Well not exactly but there is some talk of a factory navigation system. I dont think its touch screen though. Pic is in post #31

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49583&highlight=custom+harness&page=3

mylow907
05-18-2013, 10:48 AM
The 05-06 Navi comes with a Sony THX system so it wont work the plug same, but has an amp in the center of dash. And the mounts would mor of a hassle then to do an aftermarket radio. if you want a bad ass radio look at the Kenwood DNN9990hd

capt512
05-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the continued info, not a fan of the look on that factory GPS, even though the fact that it is factory is nice, it looks like a 1990 gameboy game.

I looked the at DNN9990HD, must say it does look nice but no way I can find that one even used in my range it doesn't look like...but I will keep an eye out just in case.

Midnight
05-18-2013, 01:58 PM
go big, or go home.
AVIC-Z150BH (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-Z150BH)

burt ragio
05-19-2013, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the continued info, not a fan of the look on that factory GPS, even though the fact that it is factory is nice, it looks like a 1990 gameboy game.

I looked the at DNN9990HD, must say it does look nice but no way I can find that one even used in my range it doesn't look like...but I will keep an eye out just in case.

You get what you pay for. Cost will effect you once. After your purchase you will be more concerned with quality & performance.

capt512
05-19-2013, 05:24 AM
I can appreciate getting what you pay for, hence not looking at low end clarion units. However seeing as how I just bought a house that needs major remodel work and am on a pretty low salary, what I have to spend is what I have to spend. I do appreciate the suggestion though and if I find one closer to what I can afford I may snap it up. Currently they are listed for $1500 most places.

fastblackmerc
05-19-2013, 09:54 AM
I can appreciate getting what you pay for, hence not looking at low end clarion units. However seeing as how I just bought a house that needs major remodel work and am on a pretty low salary, what I have to spend is what I have to spend. I do appreciate the suggestion though and if I find one closer to what I can afford I may snap it up. Currently they are listed for $1500 most places.

My X940BT was $600.00, after a $100.00 rebate

capt512
05-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Yeah the X940BT is what I am leaning towards, it seems closest to my price range. The Kenwood is also, but harder to find and not a whole lot about it.

White Knuckles
05-19-2013, 02:00 PM
I have the X940BT as well based on several recommendations.
Very pleased so far :beer:

lifespeed
05-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Keep in mind these fancy all-in-wonder GPS/NAV/head units can be plagued with firmware bugs which may or may not get fixed. Rumor has it Kenwood was infamous for buggy units.

capt512
05-25-2013, 09:44 AM
lifespeed - yeah that is something I worry about some, but I am hoping with some of the pioneer units that hopefully its less of a problem?

I have been looking back and forth at 3 really, the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT, Pioneer AVIC-X850BT, & Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH. The X940BT I like because of the volume knob vs the 850BT. I can find both for less than $600 which is pretty much the top I am willing to spend period. The 850BT seems to be alot more available for whatever reason. The Z140BH I have seen multiple places as mentioned as an upgrade to the x940, as it includes HD radio, voice selection, and a few other options. It also includes a 7" screen vs the 6.1" of the others, which I really like. However I am worried about the motorized screen... Is this something I should worry about, or with this higher end units are the motorized systems stable?

License2Bill
05-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Ah ha! Well not exactly but there is some talk of a factory navigation system. I dont think its touch screen though. Pic is in post #31

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49583&highlight=custom+harness&page=3

That radio/nav unit was used in the 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid (other years and models possibly as well). The Nav runs off of CDs. There's a whole CD pack for Canada, one for the Northeast, and if you go far enough in any direction it will lose you because you are out of the range of the current CD. Supports external CD Changer as well. The RDS hardly ever updates (perhaps that is the broadcaster at fault and not the unit). It isn't a touch screen and the screen is relatively small but all in all the unit works well and sounds quite good too

capt512
05-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Good to know, license2bill. Thanks for the info!

lifespeed
05-26-2013, 05:33 PM
lifespeed - yeah that is something I worry about some, but I am hoping with some of the pioneer units that hopefully its less of a problem?

I haven't tried any of the units you mention. Hopefully some diligent online research will reveal the state of their various bugs. I have a 2012 Ford Focus with MyFord Touch, software designed by Microsoft, that is a bug-riddled steaming pile.

Certainly one can't assume that whatever fault exists today will be fixed in the future. Whatever you buy, do so with the cynicism that it will remain the same firmware for it's life. If the bugs are too serious, don't buy it. You never know if they will fix it, or even make it worse!

capt512
05-30-2013, 04:35 PM
So after doing a decent bit of research I think I have decided on the Pioneer Avic-Z140BH. It has a lot of similiarities to the X940BT, except larger screen, traffic tuner included, motorized faceplate, and uses SD cards.

However I still need some part numbers for accessories I will need. Don't know if anyone has this (or the Z110, Z120, or Z130) installed in their MM, but I think some of the parts if not all will be the same.

Right now I need part numbers for:

Any mounting kits, etc that I will need?
Wiring harness I need?
Good backup camera to use...or specs I should look for in one?

Thanks

fastblackmerc
05-31-2013, 05:43 AM
So after doing a decent bit of research I think I have decided on the Pioneer Avic-Z140BH. It has a lot of similiarities to the X940BT, except larger screen, traffic tuner included, motorized faceplate, and uses SD cards.

However I still need some part numbers for accessories I will need. Don't know if anyone has this (or the Z110, Z120, or Z130) installed in their MM, but I think some of the parts if not all will be the same.

Right now I need part numbers for:

Any mounting kits, etc that I will need?
Wiring harness I need?
Good backup camera to use...or specs I should look for in one?

Thanks

You will need a double din installation kit like this - Scosche FD1330B / FD1330

A wiring connector like this - Scosche FD23B / FD23

An interface for the steering wheel controls (if you want to keep them) made by this company - http://www.pac-audio.com/default.aspx
The model you get will depend on the radio you install.

capt512
05-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Thank you sir, that is what I was looking for. Is PAC the best brand for the steering wheel controls, or should i go with Axxess?

fastblackmerc
05-31-2013, 07:42 AM
Thank you sir, that is what I was looking for. Is PAC the best brand for the steering wheel controls, or should i go with Axxess?

Either one works.

You just need to remove the top and bottom lips in the stock opening. Shortening the shelf will make installing the wiring harnesses easier.

capt512
05-31-2013, 09:01 AM
10-4, sounds like a plan. Just curious, will a factory radio reinstall and be secure once the lips are removed in case I sold with a factory radio later? I know the radio clips in on the side, was just curious about the lips. No biggie if not.

fastblackmerc
05-31-2013, 03:00 PM
10-4, sounds like a plan. Just curious, will a factory radio reinstall and be secure once the lips are removed in case I sold with a factory radio later? I know the radio clips in on the side, was just curious about the lips. No biggie if not.

Reread post #38.......

You ONLY remove the top & bottom lips.

The side lips are still used to secure the aftermarket headunit.

I saw a post on CV.net and the yo-yo removed all four lips...... ended up gluing the headunit in....

capt512
05-31-2013, 05:29 PM
That's what I thought, just wasn't sure the purpose of the bottom and top lips and didn't know if they did anything for the stock radio.

tbone
05-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Pioneer AVIC X940BT.

I have this unit and it does everything. I got mine on ebay and I'm sure it can be had cheap, since it is discontinued.

capt512
06-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Need some help guys, I got the Avic-Z140BH (pretty much the same as the X940BT, except 7.1" screen, no volume knob, and motorized faceplate; even the same install manual) as well as the suggested wiring harness, XM tuner, backup camera, and dash kit. So I am trying to solder up the wiring harness from the new unit to the wiring harness adapter and found that in the manual it states you connect the right rear speaker wires to the sub and don't connect the left rear speaker wires.... So this means my rear speakers won't be hooked up...and instead my sub will. How do I hook up my factory amp/sub and keep my factory speakers also?

The manual states "When a subwoofer is connected to this navigation system instead of a rear speaker, change the rear output setting in the initial setting. (Refer to the Operation Manual.) The subwoofer output of this navigation system is monaural." Then a little below that, "When using a subwoofer of 70W, be sure to connect with violet and violet/black leads of this navigation system. Do not connect anything with green and green/black leads."

The speaker colors are as follows:
Left Front - White & White/Black
Left Rear - Green & Green/Black
Right Front - Gray & Gray/Black
Right Rear - Violet & Violet/Black

Then if connecting sub Green & Green/Black not used. Violet & Violet/Black connect to sub only. Therefore no rear speakers... Help?

Zim Hosein
10-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Reread post #38.......

You ONLY remove the top & bottom lips.

The side lips are still used to secure the aftermarket headunit.

I saw a post on CV.net and the yo-yo removed all four lips...... ended up gluing the headunit in....

I'm currently researching a DD solution myself and was curious to know if you or anyone else here has a PIC of the top and bottom tabs to cut.

Thanks in advance! :beer:

jsignorelli
10-23-2013, 05:04 PM
I put a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT in about two years ago. I added the backup camera (great move), Sirius radio, and steering wheel controls. At shows, I watch HD DVD's on the 8 inch screen. The Nav system if light years better than my TomTom.
If only it could make a good cup of coffee, I'd never leave the garage.

fastblackmerc
10-23-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm currently researching a DD solution myself and was curious to know if you or anyone else here has a PIC of the top and bottom tabs to cut.

Thanks in advance! :beer:

When you take out the OEM radio you'll see the 1/8" rails along the top and bottom of the opening. DO NOT...... DO NOT..... DO NOT remove the rails on the left or right side. I don't have any pictures but you'll see what I mean when you remove the headunit.

lifespeed
10-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Pics of the camera install?

justbob
10-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Pics of the camera install?

I installed mine in the keyhole. Perfect flush finish, but not liking the off center view. I aimed it a hair towards center but still takes awhile to get used to it. I can back the car down my long narrow driveway, I just need to remember to keep it pointed about two feet (on screen) over more than needed to stay center. I'm just not a fan of the license plate mount design.

I'll get a pic up tonight if I remember.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

fastblackmerc
10-24-2013, 04:40 AM
I did the license plate frame install.

Used this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TaoTronics-License-Plate-Frame-Car-CMOS-170-Rearview-Backup-Camera-Night-Vision-/400437604195?pt=US_Rear_View_M onitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item5d3bf0ef63

tbone
10-24-2013, 06:36 AM
I installed my camera at the top of the rear window, inside the car. I didn't like the look on the plate frame. View is fine, except when it rains. Don't really care though.

TAKEDOWN
10-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Placed mine in the trunk key hole my only regret is that i wished it was angled down a bit to capture the edge of the bumper.