PDA

View Full Version : First Outing With My Marauder in FL

Lidio
03-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Before I get carried away with all the track details, I want to mention that I did drive my MM for the entire 1250 mile trip each way. And on this trek with the MM, I really learned to fall in love with my MM even more and its awesome road worthiness. This is one of the few times I’ve driven this type of distance in a car only and not with my usual truck and trailer ensemble which really tends to stress a driver after a few ours (and keeps me under 75mph most of the time).

I drove my MM for the entire trip with the wider rear rims and the Nitto 305 drag radials…. the whole way to and from the drag strip in FL. It was awesome over all. I never let the car get under 75mph if I could help it and it stayed over 88-100mph for some very long spurts! It revs at exactly 3000 in 4th gear at 90mph with the 4.10s in the rear axle and the Nitto 305s. It got any where from 17.5 to 19 mile per gallon on the whole trip. This was a little lower then I expected but all in all with the big rear gears, tires, irresponsible throttling and the fact that it goes into boost and tugs the car with ease in OD once its over 60mph…. I fully accepted it. And none of the entire trip did the gas pedal stay below ½ throttle for any of the tank refills. I’m sure that if I tried and kept it at or under 70mph it would get 20-21mpg just like Trilogy number 1 did when we took it to TX last fall.

Well just like mi2qwk4u said… my MM started out on Thursday testing with some mid 12s at and then little by little by tweaking shift points with the chip and playing with different levels of brake torques at the starting line, it started to really come around. I ended up on Saturday night with a best of 12.23. On Sunday I ran the gas tank a little lower and ran the Nittos at 23psi instead of 25psi like when I race with these tires normally with the Trilogy car. I’m sure I’ll try even lower pressure later on.

On Sunday between running the tank as low as I could, lower tire psi, track prep seemed improved and adding one degree of timing to the tune turned into a 12.11et. And then later on Sunday the track really came around and all I did was leave it alone along with the weather getting hotter and above 80 degrees, it blasted off a 12.05 at 113.5mph! On that run the 60ft was a 1.76 which is incredible when considering the weight and street tire application. The rest of the weekend’s prier 60fts were in the 1.82 range.

This past weekend, my MM surpassed my expectations by a long shot in the ¼ mile. I’m confident that here in MI in April or May while its still 45-55 degrees out… it should go a very high 11 second ET. For right now the NOS is not going to be used until I upgrade the in-tank pump. It is fully maxed out for now but keeping up with the level of power I’m at with no room to spare in the air/fuel ratio.

So far every thing that’s been done to my MM for this level of performance has not bothered the cars daily manors in any way.

I’d like to post more but I need to get some sleep after the 21 hour drive….

Thanks

SergntMac
03-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Nice story, excellent performance. Thank you for making this effort, and for showing the Marauder for what it is. Go get some sleep, you earned it. Dave kept us up to date on the details anyway, we can wait for the first hand account.

bigslim
03-16-2004, 12:19 AM
Nice to see you back home safely. It was nice hearing your times down in Florida. I know that when you Dave got out to the track next month you both should do real well. I can see high 11's in the future.

TooManyFords
03-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Nice job Lidio. Truely an inspiration for us fellow 1320'ers.

John

Amsoil_Dealer
03-16-2004, 07:58 AM
I had the privilege of meeting both Lidio and Jerry on Saturday at Bradenton. Jerry even took me for a ride down the road in his car which was very cool. The announcer at the strip gave both Jerry and Lidio the respect they deserve by advising the local Mustang hot shots to keep their eyes out for them and to keep their money in their pockets.

Lidio & Jerry, It was a pleasure meeting you both and I congratulate you on yor top notch performances.

Don

MikesMerc
03-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Congrats on a very successful weekend Lidio. I think that kind of performance exceeded the expectation of many people as well. It goes to show that a well thought out approach that specifically addresses the OEM weaknesses can make a huge difference without necessarily breaking the bank (albeit speed is never cheap).

I beleive your mods were:
Trilogy Kit with Apten porting and smaller pulley
4.10 gear
Basic trans shift kit
Pro M meter
Widened rims

Is that it?

Considering how little was done to the car, those are amazing times! Totally stock exhaust and suspension too! The best part is the retaining of OEM street manners and driveability....a total must for my taste.

Needless to say, I'll be seeing you for sure this Saturday as we discussed to get the Trilogy kit installed. We can also discuss some of the other goodies I might want at that time too.

Congrats again...it certainly sounds like you the fastest MM on the planet at this point. Well done!

jgc61sr2002
03-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Lidio - Sounds like you had a productive weekend. Congrats fantastic times. :up: :D

MI2QWK4U
03-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Good to hear things in your words Lidio! This is going to be an exciting year here in the motor city, before you know it the entire crew will have a blower and strike fear into the local tracks when we go in force! Talk to you later about getting mine in the shop...get some rest.