PDA

View Full Version : What has been your best replacement battery?

Motorhead350
05-21-2013, 04:08 PM
My luck has run out with my junkyard battery, but I got six months of out a $33 battery.

I am thinking of going to the Ford dealer or Sears.

It's my daily driver, so I need to depend on it for a number of years to come.

Opinions and reviews please.

Bluerauder
05-21-2013, 04:14 PM
My luck has run out with my junkyard battery, but I got six months of out a $33 battery.

I am thinking of going to the Ford dealer or Sears.

It's my daily driver, so I need to depend on it for a number of years to come.

Opinions and reviews please.

Motorcraft BXT-65-650 (or 750 or 850 if you need the extra CCA). I got 9 years out of my original battery and replaced it with the same for about $110 after the core rebate. That's about $12.25 per year. You paid five times that much for your junkyard battery when figuring the cost over a full year.

RF Overlord
05-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Motorcraft BXT-65-650 Quoted for truth.

L.Mark
05-21-2013, 04:32 PM
I used to be a diehard...:rolleyes:...Sears Diehard fan. That'ss ALL that went in my cars. The past couple I have had I had troubles with. Just recently, the 'new' one(@6 months) I had in the LSC went dead for no reason. Took it back, it was bad. Ofcourse got a new one, but that was cause of warrenty. Next battery will not be a Diehard. Maybe Motorcraft or Interstate.

RubberCtyRauder
05-21-2013, 04:36 PM
I just bought the Motorcraft BXT 750 two weeks ago for my. Marauder

Bigdogjim
05-21-2013, 05:17 PM
I went with the motorcraft BXT-65-850 this way I got plenty of reserve power. Factory Motorcraft went almost 9 years:up:

cat in the hat
05-21-2013, 06:17 PM
motorcraft bxt-65-650 (or 750 or 850 if you need the extra cca).

^^^ +1 ^^^

jsignorelli
05-21-2013, 07:09 PM
I used to get 7+ years out of the Die Hard. But the last one I purchased for one of the 'Stangs went bad in a few months. Took it back, and the replacement only lasted 6 months.
The Motorcraft (BXT-65-650) I had the dealer install in the Marauder is going fine.

I'm off of Sears... they certainly aren't the company I grew up with.

Comin' in Hot
05-21-2013, 07:31 PM
I've had great luck with AutoZone's Duralast Gold Batteries, my first one lasted 9 years and three astro vans. I had one in my first MM and never had never had an issue. I just always hated the yellow plastic top.

Curless
05-21-2013, 07:36 PM
We use NAPA batteries here at the shop and in my cars. If you go with NAPA get the 7565 NOT the 84 month. FWIW they are made by East Penn, not Exide like I said before the edit!

Vortech347
05-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Motorcraft. Vatozone sucks.

Comin' in Hot
05-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Motorcraft. Vatozone sucks.

both the Motorcraft and Autozone's Duralast are made by Johnson Controls, they are good batteries. I would never buy the Valuecraft, just the yellow top Duralast Gold. I even have a lesser red top duralast in my lawn tractor for its 5th season now.... I never had one last so long

ARodmarauder
05-21-2013, 09:59 PM
both the Motorcraft and Autozone's Duralast are made by Johnson Controls, they are good batteries. I would never buy the Valuecraft, just the yellow top Duralast Gold. I even have a lesser red top duralast in my lawn tractor for its 5th season now.... I never had one last so long

Agree the gold top look ugly but they recently changed them all to black tops. Just got a duralast gold and it looks good with the black top

Vortech347
05-21-2013, 10:08 PM

Yeah it's the valuecraft that is horrid

ChiTownMaraud3r
05-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Go with OEM. I'm still on original and it works fine.

EMAS
05-21-2013, 10:50 PM
We use NAPA batteries here at the shop and in my cars. If you go with NAPA get the 7565 NOT the 84 month. FWIW they are made by Exide.

NAPA batteries haven't been made by Exide in a couple of years, they are now made by Johnson Controls just like Motorcraft and a whole host of others. The dropped Exide due to the high return rate.

RF Overlord
05-22-2013, 03:45 AM
Something else to remember about batteries: unlike certain human appendages, bigger is not better. To get the higher CCA ratings in the same physical space, the plates need to be thinner, making them more susceptible to damage from heat and vibration. Unless you have a mondo stereo or some other NEED for high power, get the size battery the car came with from the factory, in our case the 650.

Guittard22
05-22-2013, 04:53 AM
The last owner of my car got a walmart battery 2 years ago and it's still working good and they come with year warranty .

RoyLPita
05-22-2013, 05:06 AM
My MM has a Motorcraft BXT-65-650. For the convenience of working at (now near) a Ford dealer, I could not pass it up.

ctrlraven
05-22-2013, 05:09 AM
Interstate MTP-65, last one lasted me a little over 5 years which might not seem much to some but I daily the car still so I felt I got my $95 worth out of it. Replaced it with the same.

BUICKMAN
05-22-2013, 05:29 AM
My original Motorcraft BXT65-650 lasted 11 years. I just replaced it. The car was built in July 2002. I went with another BXT65-650.

Curless
05-22-2013, 05:34 AM
NAPA batteries haven't been made by Exide in a couple of years, they are now made by Johnson Controls just like Motorcraft and a whole host of others. The dropped Exide due to the high return rate.

Actually we are both wrong. I just got off of the phone with our local battery rep....East Penn makes all of NAPA's batteries except for the Optima line, that is made by Johnson Controls.

Curless
05-22-2013, 05:37 AM
As for Autozone, if you have someone that can buy you their Professional line (you can't buy it over the counter, its wholesale only) they have an awesome battery and its priced accordingly. I have one in my Impala, I do not disconnect it over the winter and I've had it two years, she fired right up last weekend.

EMAS
05-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Actually we are both wrong. I just got off of the phone with our local battery rep....East Penn makes all of NAPA's batteries except for the Optima line, that is made by Johnson Controls.

I guess they may have changed suppliers again, my brother is a manager for a NAPA store and when they dropped Exide he told me how happy he was due to the high failure rates the Exides had. That was about 2 years ago. It also may be a geographic thing as East Penn/Deka isn't common in the NW, next time I talk to him I'll try and remember to ask him if they are still JC at his store.

VMARAUDER
05-22-2013, 01:46 PM
I have used Die Hard for years and that was knowing I was going to get 36 months out of a 5 year battery. That is just what I get. I have had 2 or 3 Interstates in my work vehicle that seemed to last forever 8 years to be exact but in my Town Car The original lasted 7 years.

jaywish
05-22-2013, 02:08 PM
I have had a Costco in there for a few years now. No problems as yet, starts right up after sitting disconnected for the winter. They are well rated by consumers & fairly cheap. Otherwise I would try another Motorcraft.

MOTOWN
05-22-2013, 02:21 PM
I have the Optima yellow top deep cycle battery

bill64
05-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Ill be honest here, I have bad luck with motorcraft batteries. The earlier ones used to corrode everything in sight. But more recently the oem motorcraft batteries in the vehicles I bought new or slightly used will bairly start the cars in fridgid temps, so I dumped out of them and replaced them with diehard platinum's, what a world of differance when it comes to cold weather! the motorcraft's were less than two years old before iI chucked them, It was only because of cold weather NON performance!!

L.Mark
05-22-2013, 03:56 PM
That's why I bought Diehards. Have one in the 79. She was in drydock all winter, got her out and usually have to put the chrager on them. But this time she cranked. Not bad for being stored outside under a car cover and tarp.

JOEMERC
05-22-2013, 04:20 PM
I went with Autocraft Gold battery from Advance Auto 1000 CA love it cranks great even at 20 degrees turns it over with authority ,lol.OEM battery died when car was 7 months old,had a bad cell still under warranty that battery then lasted 8 years .

Bluerauder
05-22-2013, 04:21 PM
EverReady AA and Energizer AAA :P

BLACKMARAUDER04
05-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Costco. They will take it back with out checking if it works or not.
If less than 36 months, you get your original purchase price back.
And you have a new 36 month warranty.

JBFTech
05-22-2013, 04:48 PM
The new OEM Motorcraft batteries are hit or miss, and from what I see at work, it's 50/50 on whether they last or not. We warranty ALOT of batteries. I tried Optima once and it died in less than 3 years. So far I have decent luck with Motorcraft replacements, at least I can warranty it out myself anyway. Interstate seem to be good, and I see a few Energizers that have been rolling for a couple years. Same with the highest grade Duralast.