PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash Blues / Interior Cleaners

mungce
12-16-2002, 02:04 PM
I have been noticing allot of swirls, and light scratches on my black paint---probably all from the auto car wash I use. It's " supposed " to be the best type around, yet I am finding these awful swirl.scratches. My question: what is the best type of wax to use for such things...one with some black tint in it or good old Turtle wax. I was told not to wax my MM for at least 6 months, due to the clear coat.
Seconld question: I have yet to clean and treat the leather. I don't want a shinny, slick look that many cleaners will leave. I have heard that Fords OEM leather cleaner is a good as your gonna get, yet I always like to get input from those that have already done this. Any ideas ?

Jim Williams
Ft.Worth,TX

MAD-3R
12-16-2002, 02:15 PM
Do a search on
Zaino

This will show a lot of info about what some of the others are doing.

03 Merc
12-16-2002, 04:16 PM
mungce,

Zymol makes a very good cleaner conditioner for leather.. I have also heard Ford's is good as well..

Slowpoke
12-16-2002, 04:41 PM
Zaino makes a leather cleaner also. I bought it together with over $100 or other stuff. The leather cleaner - like all other products - works very well.

In Chicago, there's only one place that sells the stuff. Way up in Wilmette in an area that has lots of construction and not much parking. In the future we should locate someone who will accept plastic and can ship.

chapel1
12-16-2002, 05:42 PM
I like Mother's #3pure carnauba wax.And look for a microfiber cloth(usually blue) to bring out the shine with out scatching or leaving swirl marks.

Logan
12-16-2002, 06:01 PM
Zaino Z5 will remove the swirls, Zaino Z10 for the interior... In short, www.zainobros.com

Expensive, but once you've used it, you'll never go back.

JohnnyB
12-16-2002, 07:44 PM
You might want to check out Pinnacle car polish and waxes. They have a full line of car care products. They are very good. Zaino is excellent also. I have used both.

You should also get the California water blade. This is a plastic thing that you use to dry your car. works great on black paint.

Donald
12-16-2002, 10:06 PM
Zaino.

So far I am happy with the stuff.

1. Wash car first time with Dawn dish soap.
2. Use 100% cotton cloth for drying.
3. Apply Zaino Z1 base coat with a 100% cotton cloth.
4. Apply Zaino Z2 polish with a 100% cotton cloth. Let dry and remove with a 100% cotton cloth.
5. Follow with Zaino Z6 spray using a 100% cotton cloth.

Daily, in the morning, as the engine warms up, dust car with a Californa Car Duster. At night, assuming car did not get rained on, dust car again and apply Zaino Z6 with a 100% cotton cloth.

On weekends wash car with good car wash soap, lots of water and a lambs wool wash mitt.

LincMercLover
12-17-2002, 06:26 AM
I use Meguires Gold Class as far as soap and wax. The wax (clear coat paste) takes swirls up like nobody's business, and the soap is very gentle. As far as the leather, get some Armoral Leather Protectant Wipes (is a plastic jug thing). They don't leave a shine. I Armoraled my whole interior and the dash has a nice wet look, but not too wet, and the seat treated, but not wet looking.

NYSP618
12-17-2002, 12:23 PM
Stay away from automatic car washes, no matter how good they are they all leave dirt and grit in the brushes or wipes, I have found that if you keep some good wax (I do use the Zaino products) on the MM and find a good laser wash it looks pretty good, not a good a wash as a do it yourself but it keep the road dirt down. Look for a laser wash that applies the cleaners or rinses twice. A good car wash owner doesn't cheat his customers and lets it go twice.

LincMercLover
12-17-2002, 05:04 PM
I haven't heard of laser washes...? Is that just like a power washer? I take mine up to the quarter machine power wash station to get the road grime off every so often. I think I'm the only one who could spend over $8 in quarters on that retarded thing! :rolleyes:

Geo
12-18-2002, 03:01 AM
Don't any of you guys have touchless car washes? I personally stay away from all car wash places, but if I had to go through one I would choose the touchless car washes.

There are 2 types. One is where the car goes into a small building and then water sprays underneath and high pressure soap and water wash the car via a system that goes over the car back and forth as the car sits put. The other is like going through an actual car wash where the car drives slowly in neutral through a long bulding. I find the second option the best just make sure to tell the attendants that "prep" the car before the car goes through to do or not do what you want them to. Carefull of scuffs on the MM rims when the tire aligns itself on the track(s).

You may want to wait for 6 months for the paint to harden before a pressure wash of any kind.

When I wash my car I use Zip Wax Zip wash as to not harm the paint and to preserve (and not strip) any wax on the paint.

GEO

NYSP618
12-18-2002, 06:13 AM
Hey, LincLover, Geo has it down, a laser wash is the first wash he describes. I find they work well, not perfect but it keeps the salt off, (for those of us who live where we deal with it) and keeps it looking good enough until I can get a warm enough day to hand wash it.

Merry Christmas:)

fdrymas
12-18-2002, 03:38 PM
Logan, I looked at the order form but don't really know what I am looking for. My car too has the scratches and what else will I need to keep it looking good?