PDA

View Full Version : Stereo speaker suggestions

sflrainmaker01
05-23-2013, 09:47 PM
I have been re-wiring the mess the previous owner left me in the car stereo dept. So far, I have got the old Alpine rear 6x9's to make ok sound. While I was back there, I used some of the existing wiring to hook up an amp and a sub (ALL factory stuff is gone). The fronts come on rarely (I think a problem with connector), which means I have a very bassy sound. Working fronts would help alot. But, when the fronts are on, they have a lot of distortion with medium volume especially on the high frequency end. So, it seems they all will need to go!!

Any recommendations? I want a very crisp full range speaker that captures the highs in all four corners. So far, I have read that the JBL GTO938 and Polk Audio db691 are pretty good contenders. I just wanted your all's input. Bass isn't a concern since I have several sub options to choose from, including the dual 12" box my son just traded me for. I am not looking to blow up any ear drums but just looking for a nice clear and clean sound (especially since I am getting older and hearing isn't as good as when I was younger:o).

ARodmarauder
05-23-2013, 10:27 PM
I used focal speakers all the way around. They sound good and very crisp. It's just depends on your budget.

sflrainmaker01
05-23-2013, 10:59 PM
I used focal speakers all the way around. They sound good and very crisp. It's just depends on your budget.

Not trying to go overboard, but I was liking the reviews of the JBL GTO938 and the Polk Audio db961 6x9's. I don't know what size fits in the doors, but I would try to get a comparable door speaker to match. It seems like Pioneer has some nice 3 ways at Best Buy for about $75. Walmart has a Pioneer 4 way 6x9 for like $70. The Polks and JBLs range from $75 to $150 from what I can tell online.

Review I was looking at:
http://car-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com/

ARodmarauder
05-23-2013, 11:11 PM
I put 6x8 all the way around. The ones all Walmart and best buy are ok but they won't be as crisp if say you get some Polk. Do a lot a research. I heard my speakers in another car and I was sold after that

mylow907
05-24-2013, 12:00 AM
I'd spend a bit more and go for the polks at least. But what ever you are using for the head unit makes a difference. Try to get a better quality one, and go with a better set up front, Hybrid Audio makes a kick ass speaker starting about 150 per pair.

boatmangc
05-24-2013, 03:14 AM
Really happy with my Infinity Kappas, 6X9 rears and 6X8 front

fastblackmerc
05-24-2013, 04:54 AM
really happy with my infinity kappas, 6x9 rears and 6x8 front

+1!.............

fastblackmerc
05-24-2013, 04:55 AM
BTW....

I have a brand new pair of Pioneer TS-D6802R's for sale.

sflrainmaker01
05-24-2013, 06:17 AM
BTW....

I have a brand new pair of Pioneer TS-D6802R's for sale.

Did you try them and not like them?

Also, 5x7 or 6x8 in the doors?

RoyLPita
05-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Either 5x7/6x8s will fit in the doors and rear tray.

sflrainmaker01
05-24-2013, 06:21 AM
Either 5x7/6x8s will fit in the doors and rear tray.

So, do 6x9's fit in the rear?

fastblackmerc
05-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Did you try them and not like them?

Also, 5x7 or 6x8 in the doors?

Won them in a raffle. Never tried them. On the speakers & box it says "Custom-Fit For Ford Mazda Nissan"

RoyLPita
05-24-2013, 09:02 AM

I believe 6x9s would be a custom fit.

BTW, I found the plugs for the back of the radio. Are you coming to Towers tonight?

sflrainmaker01
05-24-2013, 09:30 AM
I believe 6x9s would be a custom fit.

BTW, I found the plugs for the back of the radio. Are you coming to Towers tonight?

Ok. I thought the back were 6x9's. I will have to check to see if the Alpines back there are 6x9.

No, not this week or next. But, I am pretty sure I will be there at least one Friday in June. I will keep ya'll posted on Cobra25's weekly update though.

boatmangc
05-24-2013, 05:09 PM

Not without some cutting, but it's worth it.

Just be careful on placement on the drivers side you can get REAL close to the trunk lid springs.

Measure twice, cut once!

breeze
05-24-2013, 06:50 PM
3 or 4 way Pioneer speakers with Orion/Kicker 2 ohm subs with matching amp.

slickster
05-24-2013, 07:36 PM
As long as you amp them any good brand will sound right

sflrainmaker01
05-25-2013, 06:40 AM
Not without some cutting, but it's worth it.

Just be careful on placement on the drivers side you can get REAL close to the trunk lid springs.

Measure twice, cut once!

I probably won't be cutting. In fact, I was suprised to find out that the rear speakers are Alpine SPR-574A 5x7's! :eek: I shouldn't be suprised. Most of what I was told about this car hasn't been correct, why should this be any different! :shake:

These speakers have 4 wires going to them. 2 + and 2 -, one set for each side. They say Coaxial 140 watt peak and 35 RMS. I will do a little Google searching today and see what I come up with. I could always amp them and then focus on the fronts since those only work on rare occassion with distortion. I am sure that will help tremendously with the sound in the car for now. :hmmm:

sflrainmaker01
05-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Well, did a ton of Google searches, reviews etc. Went on a mission to find some JBL, Polk or Pioneer (as a last resort). Walmart had a few speakers I checked out. Namely the Sony 6x8 4 way and Pioneer 6x8 4 ways. Not bad. I actually thought the Sony's sounded better.:shake: So off to a Best But (not the closest one but in the next town south) that was supposed to have the best "test all the speakers" area. I hooked a a Pioneer head unit that was similiar to the one I had and tested 'em all. Guess what sounded the best? A new line of Kickers called the CS series. The Polks were a close second, but didn't have the 6x8-only 6.5 round. That made the decision easier to buy the Kickers. Best $70 I have spent in a while!
FYI, the model # is CS68. They sound excellent with no amp and compliment the system perfectly. Lots of clear, crisp highs, mids and even lows (but I got a sub for that). Keep in mind, I only replaced the fronts.
Now that I have a nice sounding & completely working system, I will start to think about upgrading the head unit to a touchscreen....:P

1Marauder
05-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Great info. AND for the slow guy... They fit right in? No hassle?

Please confirm as I am on my way to buy these. Also... How do I get more base /replace base unit in truck with no hassle?

sflrainmaker01
05-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Great info. AND for the slow guy... They fit right in? No hassle?

Please confirm as I am on my way to buy these. Also... How do I get more base /replace base unit in truck with no hassle?

They fit right in. No hassles except removing the aftermarket crossovers and additional wiring the previous owner had installed, but I doubt most people on this Forum would have to deal with that, lol. I took all that out, hooked the speakers up and they sound GREAT! I HATE dealing with door panels, but this job was pretty easy. Check out the
YouTube video from 1AAuto on how to replace a window motor on a Grand Marquis. That video gives you a real good idea how to take the door panel off without any headaches. However, that GM, is different than the Marauder. But, nonetheless, it helped me. I am always concerned that I will break something when it comes to taking these things off and on again!

As far as bass, from what I can tell, they have a great sound too. I do have an aftermarket sub setup in the trunk. I don't know too much about the factory stuff since all that was gutted when I got the car. The big attraction to me about these speakers was how the much and how clear the highs are. The rest of the speakers sound is great too. It just seems that alot of other speakers had some highs, too much mid, not enough highs, etc. These have it all.

2,4shofast
05-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Really happy with my Infinity Kappas, 6X9 rears and 6X8 front

I have the same set up and love the sound, great price as well:beer:

Vortech347
05-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Infinity reference. Had them in my last MM, this MM, and our 03' Cobra.

fastblackmerc
05-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Infinity reference. Had them in my last MM, this MM, and our 03' Cobra.

+1 on the Infinity Reference speakers!

Go2GuyFL
05-30-2013, 05:18 AM
I did these http://www.kicker.com/ks_series in coax plus their subwoofer in both of ours driven by the stock radio. Sounds great!

HITEKBALANCER
06-11-2013, 01:29 PM
I went to crutchfield and ordered a Receiver w Bluetooth, 4 speakers and a self powered infinity subwoofer. You pay a little more but they included all the installation adapters and detailed install instructions. The whole setup was a little under $600. The subwoofer died after 8 months. They sent me a new one no questions asked before I sent the other one back. They emailed me a postage paid label to return it.
I priced the parts on ebay and could get them for about $450. A $150 savings. There would not have been instructions. Crutchfield even give you the special tools you need. The system is awesome.

03mmmonroe
06-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Won them in a raffle. Never tried them. On the speakers & box it says "Custom-Fit For Ford Mazda Nissan"

I have the D series in my marauder and they are very clear. Recommend unit from Pop's.

sflrainmaker01
06-19-2013, 08:08 PM
I did these http://www.kicker.com/ks_series in coax plus their subwoofer in both of ours driven by the stock radio. Sounds great!

I put the Kickers in my car too. I love them! As I am a little technologically challenged, my son came out the other night while I was checking out my new sound system in the Marauder. He chuckled (for a second) at the high powered Pioneer CD Changer controller deck I was using that actually has a cassette player. Then, he says, I will be right back. He brings me out an old cassette adapter he had that plugs into my phone (which has most of my music on it) and says now try it! So, now, all my music sounds great and plays thru the cassette player. From now on, I think I am just going to have to bring out a couple beers after work and listen to my music in the car! That way, I can turn it up as loud as I want and not hear any #$%^& from the wife! :beer:

IwantmyMMnow!
06-19-2013, 08:34 PM
I just bought 2 pairs of the Kicker CS68s from Best Buy; they were on sale for 66.49/pair and after tax the total was $142.30. Gonna try to get the rears installed tomorrow or Friday and test 'em out. If I like 'em, will tackle the door speakers next week. I'm thinking they have to sound better than the factory speakers.

Thanks for the tip sflrainmaker01!!!

sflrainmaker01
06-19-2013, 08:51 PM
I just bought 2 pairs of the Kicker CS68s from Best Buy; they were on sale for 66.49/pair and after tax the total was $142.30. Gonna try to get the rears installed tomorrow or Friday and test 'em out. If I like 'em, will tackle the door speakers next week. I'm thinking they have to sound better than the factory speakers.

Thanks for the tip sflrainmaker01!!!

No problem. Let me know how you like them! I only put them in the doors. The car had some older Alpine 5x7's in there. Now, the front and rears really blend together nice. You might want to put them in the doors first. They really brought out the highs and a full range of sound. The Alpine's don't have the range of sound the Kicker's do. I know that may sound odd, but it's true! Besides, it seems more difficult to put the rears in anyway. The doors were easy, thanks to the info on this site and 1AAuto on YouTube.
Search for removing door panel on 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis (that hurts to type...).

8UWITH6
06-21-2013, 07:41 AM
If you guys are just replacing speakers then either of the brands mentioned will work fine. Just listen to each one to see which you like because some speakers have a flatter response than others. If you guys are running an amplifier to your interior speakers then I would suggest a component set. My Rockford T2 Front Component set is ALL I need in my car. I dont even need the rear speakers but do have some Rockford 5.25" back there for rear fill. Next year in Louisville you guys can listen to the car if you want. :)