PDA

View Full Version : I think my starter broke.

Chad1987
06-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I've got a 2003 DBP Marauder with about 98k miles on it. I don't drive it very often (maybe 2-3 times a week). I last ran it last Sunday and when I went to start it this morning, I keyed the ignition to the "on" position, so I could power up the car and prime the fuel pump. When I did that, everything worked fine and I could hear the fuel pump working, but when I went to the "start" position, it would not do anything. No noise, no movement, nothing. Makes me think the starter or solenoid is junk.

Does this sound like a failed starter? Thank you!

If I get it started by lightly tapping on the starter with a mallet, can I do that again and again, or will that only work once?

justbob
06-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I've got a 2003 DBP Marauder with about 98k miles on it. I don't drive it very often (maybe 2-3 times a week). I last ran it last Sunday and when I went to start it this morning, I keyed the ignition to the "on" position, so I could power up the car and prime the fuel pump. When I did that, everything worked fine and I could hear the fuel pump working, but when I went to the "start" position, it would not do anything. No noise, no movement, nothing. Makes me think the starter or solenoid is junk.

Does this sound like a failed starter? Thank you!

If I get it started by lightly tapping on the starter with a mallet, can I do that again and again, or will that only work once?

Test it with a continuity light. As for the tapping and how long that would work, you aren't being serious are you????

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Vortech347
06-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Good news, That takes 20 minutes to change. 15 of that is getting the car in the air.

CAKE.

Chad1987
06-02-2013, 02:36 PM
I'll just have it towed to the local Ford dealer. There's no room in my garage to work on this and I don't have any tools.

Black Dynamite
06-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Is the battery charged?

maineiac
06-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Try putting in and out of park a few times mine used to do the same thing it was neutral saftey switch.

License2Bill
06-02-2013, 03:53 PM
If it is in fact the starter, just buy a decent set of tools, (my Stanley 205 piece set came from Walmart for less than $80 with a rebate) some ramps and or a jack and stands. Do the job yourself for less than a stealership will charge and learn a bit about the working of your car. You'll never have to use the "I don't have any tools" excuse again, just "I don't have the right tools for the job"

Chad1987
06-02-2013, 03:54 PM
I tried starting it in Neutral and it didn't change anything. I think the battery voltage is good....everything works normally until the point when the starter should start turning.

ARodmarauder
06-02-2013, 04:07 PM
I would first start with the basic. Even though you think the battery is good, have it checked. Yeah I can tap the starter but don't use a mallet, I would use like the head of a screwdriver.

MyBlackBeasts
06-02-2013, 04:44 PM
If it has the dealer installed Remote Start the anti-theft may have been triggered.

Locate & depress the reset button, hold depressed while cranking the starter.

When engine starts, all is good again.

(Ask me how I know...)

fastblackmerc
06-02-2013, 04:52 PM
How old is the battery?

Are the battery terminals clean and tight?

Try jump starting it.

Vortech347
06-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Seriously, if you own a house, you have the tools required for the job. Un hook the battery ground. Take the nut off the stud. Remove 3 bolts. DONE.

Mebot
06-02-2013, 06:22 PM
I would first start with the basic. Even though you think the battery is good, have it checked. Yeah I can tap the starter but don't use a mallet, I would use like the head of a screwdriver.

How old is the battery?

Are the battery terminals clean and tight?

Try jump starting it.

Both of these posts i agree with. Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is usually the correct solution.

And if it's not, at least you're troubleshooting the problem.

sent from space

Chad1987
06-02-2013, 06:42 PM
It reads 12.0 volts with the key in the on position. Battery looks OK, not very old, but has a fair amount of corrosion on the positive terminal. I'll try unhooking the battery, cleaning terminals and hooking it back up. Who knows, maybe it's got enough juice to trigger everything BUT the starter? And a thorough cleaning would remedy that.

I don't own a house, only renting now. But I agree w/ your sentiments. Dad is a mechanic (city busses) and I've got lots of other automotive mechanics in the family, but no tools or knowhow at my house. Dad's mechanical knowledge and troubleshooting ability didn't get passed down to me....got mom's sales skills and customer service skills instead...

I don't think this one has a remote starter installed. I've never seen a remote and the window sticker doesn't mention anything about it. Where would the cutoff switch be?

Is the starter next to the pass front tire, under the exhaust manifold? Kind of hard to get at from below w/o jackstands, but I can see it from above.

Thanks for all the help, especially in such short time! This really shows the quality of this message board.

Chad1987
06-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Alright, so I went out and whacked the starter with a hammer a few times, as best I could with the car parked in the garage, made no difference. However, I have a thought that it may be the fuse for the starter solenoid, as there doesn't seem to be any power to the starter and I hear a clicking from the fuse when I try to start the car.

Mebot
06-03-2013, 03:09 AM
It reads 12.0 volts with the key in the on position. Battery looks OK, not very old, but has a fair amount of corrosion on the positive terminal. I'll try unhooking the battery, cleaning terminals and hooking it back up. Who knows, maybe it's got enough juice to trigger everything BUT the starter? And a thorough cleaning would remedy that.

A little bit of corrosion can do wonky stuff. Have you cleaned up your terminals yet?

sent from space

Chad1987
06-03-2013, 04:13 AM
No, not yet. I'll go out tonight to NAPA and pick up the necessary tools.

justbob
06-03-2013, 04:19 AM
Have you considered the key being the culprit? My key went bad with not a single warning three/four years ago. Borrowed a car to go grab the wife's and it fired right up. Exact problems as yours.

"Since 2004"

Chad1987
06-03-2013, 04:48 AM
That crossed my mind as well. There's a chip in them, right? I'll have to grab my 2nd set of keys from my parent's house and try it.

Mebot
06-03-2013, 04:51 AM
True. The PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) has been known to give headaches to members here.

Start with the small and relatively easy troubleshoots first. We'll guide you along the way.

sent from space

Chad1987
06-03-2013, 08:50 PM
I tried the 2nd key, no difference.

I cleaned the battery acid off the positive terminal, no difference.

I'll jump start it next. If that doesn't do it, I guess it's the starter.

MyBlackBeasts
06-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Don't guess.

A $5 12v test light, 30 seconds time and an extra hand is all you need to get an answer of whether the starter is bad or not.

Don't waste a bunch of $$$ throwing parts at it. Diagnose it & fix the actual problem.

Chi Stallion
06-04-2013, 12:02 AM
If no no sound is heard from starter when your crankin it then its def your oem starter. it's a very common failure on all GM & CV. It sounds like your at the right power before crankin @ 12 volts.

Another part to replace for piece of mind down their is the CPS Crankshaft Position Sensor too just something to think about. Always replace with oem.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Marauderjack
06-04-2013, 02:18 AM
Charge your battery....happened to me 3 weeks ago!!:cool:

When you let the car sit and only drive for short trips it never gets fully charged and over time you end up with low voltage and the PCM will not allow the starter to run!!:shake:

Not sure what the cut off voltage is but it's designed to protect all electrical components!!:beer:

Chad1987
06-04-2013, 04:48 AM
I tried another key last night, thinking it might be a VATS issue, but that didn't take care of it. I cleaned the corrosion on the positive terminal off as well, but that didn't take care of it. I'll try jump starting it as well tonight. If that doesn't take care of it, I suppose I can put the LeSabre's battery in the Marauder and see if that'll work (proving that the Marauder's battery really is junk).

But, my question to you. IF the Marauder's battery is junk from sitting for 4 months, why is it acting up now? It worked just fine from the time I had it out of storage in late March until last week. I had it unhooked all winter, sitting in the car. I simply hooked it back up and it fired right up. Could it be a combination of it sitting for 4 months and then only being driven very sparingly recently?

I never had this problem last year because I drove the car all the time.

I'll jump it tonight and see if that takes care of it. I'll be thrilled if it does, otherwise I'll be calling a tow truck Friday to take it to the local Ford dealer for a starter.

Oh and just to confirm, the starter IS on the passenger side of the engine, nestled under the exhaust manifold, next to the wheel, right?

fastblackmerc
06-04-2013, 05:47 AM
But, my question to you. IF the Marauder's battery is junk from sitting for 4 months, why is it acting up now? It worked just fine from the time I had it out of storage in late March until last week. I had it unhooked all winter, sitting in the car. I simply hooked it back up and it fired right up. Could it be a combination of it sitting for 4 months and then only being driven very sparingly recently?

I never had this problem last year because I drove the car all the time.

You just answered your own question.

Starting the engine take alot of power out of the battery and driving it for a short time / distance doesn't recharge the battery enough. Do this a few times and there is not enough power left to start the car.

You should get a battery maintainer to keep the battery charged up. DO NOT use a battery charger for long term use.

Chad1987
06-04-2013, 06:48 AM
Nice! Thanks for the boost of confidence. Is the battery maintainer also called a battery tender? I really hope I can jump it and wake it up.

fastblackmerc
06-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Nice! Thanks for the boost of confidence. Is the battery maintainer also called a battery tender? I really hope I can jump it and wake it up.

Maintainer & tender are the same.

I bet it starts with a jump start.

Chad1987
06-04-2013, 07:10 AM
So, if it starts w/ a jumpstart, do I drive it the 20 miles to work? Can I feel confident that it'll start again or should I have them put a battery in it? I work at a Honda dealership.

fastblackmerc
06-04-2013, 07:24 AM
So, if it starts w/ a jumpstart, do I drive it the 20 miles to work? Can I feel confident that it'll start again or should I have them put a battery in it? I work at a Honda dealership.

I'd test the battery. The dealership you work at should be able to test the battery & charging system. If not, any FLAPS or Sears auto center can do it.

Odinson
06-04-2013, 08:03 AM
One other gottya. There is a gear select sensor. If your shifter doesn't line up exactly with the sensor the car won't start. Solution? Shift out of and into park and try again. Sometimes you can just wiggle the shifter.

Chad1987
06-04-2013, 08:39 AM
^ I've tried that multiple times.

Also, tried jump starting the car today, no go. It's gotta be the starter.

justbob
06-04-2013, 01:22 PM
A bad cell in the battery will cause this and NOT be able to accept a charge. Many on here including myself know this for a fact.

There is also a good chance of the main battery wire going gang green down by the starter, also common.

Seriously a test light will put this to rest in under a minute.

"Since 2004"

Chad1987
06-05-2013, 04:23 AM
I'm working 12 hours today, but I'll pick up a test light at some point in the near future.

MyBlackBeasts
06-05-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm working 12 hours today, but I'll pick up a test light at some point in the near future.

Confirm 12v at starter Pos lug, confirm test light illuminates when touching the starter solenoid signal wire lug when ignition switch is in the crank position.

If these 2 items confirmed THEN you can fault the starter.

If 1 of these 2 fail - you have other problems.

There are many things that can cause your "no noise when cranking" issue - not just the starter.

Use your brain, save your wallet!

MyBlackBeasts
06-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Only 12 hrs - short day.

Leaves you plenty of time to diagnose the problem.

justbob
06-06-2013, 02:48 AM
Only 12 hrs - HALF day.

Leaves you plenty of time to diagnose the problem.
Fixed :D
(According to my boss)

"Since 2004"

MyBlackBeasts
06-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Fixed :D
(According to my boss)

Hahaha! True...

I have been working 20 hour days & 120hr weeks since I was 18.

12 hour days are picnics! :)

Chad1987
06-07-2013, 05:17 AM
What the hell do you guys do for work??? :)

I've got a few friends coming over today to help me tackle this problem. They're both mechanically smart so I'm sure we'll have this solved today.

Chad1987
06-07-2013, 11:03 AM
We voltmeter'd the battery & starter. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, so I had it towed (free thru my insurance) over to a local repair shop and if it is the starter, I'll have it back today.

justbob
06-07-2013, 02:45 PM
What the hell do you guys do for work??? :)

I've got a few friends coming over today to help me tackle this problem. They're both mechanically smart so I'm sure we'll have this solved today.

Plumber...

Hope you get good results. Did you test the small wire on the starter for power then? That's the keyed one. The big one should always have power.

"Since 2004"

Chad1987
06-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Got it fixed today. It ended up being a wire that ran to the neutral safety switch that had started to rub through and grounded. I had it towed to the local shop (a great place) and told them I thought it was a starter, but wanted them to look into it. They called an hour later, told me what it was, they could fix it and I got it back.

Mebot
06-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Got it fixed today. It ended up being a wire that ran to the neutral safety switch that had started to rub through and grounded. I had it towed to the local shop (a great place) and told them I thought it was a starter, but wanted them to look into it. They called an hour later, told me what it was, they could fix it and I got it back.

A saga begins and a saga ends..

Glad to hear you got it figured out!

sent from my new Galaxy S4!

Chad1987
06-07-2013, 03:40 PM
I am so happy to have this car back.

Chad1987
06-07-2013, 03:41 PM
On the other hand, the tow truck driver, the owner of the shop both told me how cool the car was and later on, I went to the local Chevy dealer to look at the new Impalas and when the salesman greeted me, he started asking about the car as well.

MyBlackBeasts
06-08-2013, 06:36 PM
14yrs Auto Mechanic
5yrs Truck Driver
7yrs Semi Truck/Trailer/Refer Mechanic
8yrs & counting Self Employed

Glad the car is fixed. You would have been pissed if you spent huge bucks on a starter & it still didn't start.