PDA

View Full Version : No right turn flash when on low beam

HITEKBALANCER
06-08-2013, 04:49 PM
On high beam flashers/turn signal work fine. On low beam the arrow pointing to the right on dash stays on and turn signals wont flash. they all light up but no flash. Very strange. Have new multifunction switch in it and that did not cure it (same with oem switch)

EMAS
06-08-2013, 04:52 PM
You have a bad ground up at the front lights.

HITEKBALANCER
06-09-2013, 06:38 AM
You have a bad ground up at the front lights.
Do you know where the grounds are located?

Spectragod
06-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Do you know where the grounds are located?

Multipul grounds, there are grounds near the battery on the inside of the fender, grounds on the back of the inside of driver side fender, there are also some grounds on the core support, check and clean all of them.

Using a DVOM, you should have -0- ohms between the ground on the battery and any of those points.

HITEKBALANCER
06-09-2013, 07:02 AM
what is the core support

fastblackmerc
06-09-2013, 07:37 AM
what is the core support

Core support is the piece that the radiator bolts to.

HITEKBALANCER
06-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Core support is the piece that the radiator bolts to.
Yes I looked it up. Cant find any grounds attached to it. Only grounds I can find are on left fender and the battery ground on the right.

Spectragod
06-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Yes I looked it up. Cant find any grounds attached to it. Only grounds I can find are on left fender and the battery ground on the right.

IIRC, they are on the engine side of it, but it most likely will vary by the year of the vehicle...... but don't hold me to it on a 03', 04' MY.

HITEKBALANCER
06-10-2013, 04:43 AM
I cant find any grounds on the core support. There is a ground on the battery to the fender, next to it is two lugs that also ground to the fender on a separate bolt. All looked clean but I cleaned them anyway. It seems the factory relies on the ground going through the screw which is plastic coated. The lugs don't touch metal on the fender they are laying on top of paint. Anyway I cleaned them and no change.

One thing I cant seem to get a straight answer on is what the LCM does and "not does". When the left turn is on (which works) the LCM ticks. The right side it is silent but the lights go on.

With the left low beam problem I had and the turn signal on the right, the LCM has something to do with both. The confusing thing is some say if the lows and highs work at all the lcm is not the problem.

Also I bought a rebuilt one on ebay before the I put the car away last winter. I never got around to putting it in until last week. The rebuilt unit was totally screwed up. My airbag light was flashing randomly etc. They would not warranty it as I never returned the core even though I paid the $100 core charge.

The rebuilt one had various problems but the one common thing was left low beam and right turn signal.

I am taking one more stab at it. I bought an aftermarket LCM for $98 in ebay. Anyone try one of these?

After I get the aftermarket one in place I will send my original out for repair.

After that it's off to ford it goes. Too bad Taxi cab companies don't offer repair services. Ill bet they could tell me exactly what is wrong with it without any wasted time or money.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

I did check the grounds to the rear turn signals. Everything lights up it just wont flash.

fastblackmerc
06-10-2013, 05:14 AM
I cant find any grounds on the core support. There is a ground on the battery to the fender, next to it is two lugs that also ground to the fender on a separate bolt. All looked clean but I cleaned them anyway. It seems the factory relies on the ground going through the screw which is plastic coated. The lugs don't touch metal on the fender they are laying on top of paint. Anyway I cleaned them and no change.

One thing I cant seem to get a straight answer on is what the LCM does and "not does". When the left turn is on (which works) the LCM ticks. The right side it is silent but the lights go on.

With the left low beam problem I had and the turn signal on the right, the LCM has something to do with both. The confusing thing is some say if the lows and highs work at all the lcm is not the problem.

Also I bought a rebuilt one on ebay before the I put the car away last winter. I never got around to putting it in until last week. The rebuilt unit was totally screwed up. My airbag light was flashing randomly etc. They would not warranty it as I never returned the core even though I paid the $100 core charge.

The rebuilt one had various problems but the one common thing was left low beam and right turn signal.

I am taking one more stab at it. I bought an aftermarket LCM for $98 in ebay. Anyone try one of these?

After I get the aftermarket one in place I will send my original out for repair.

After that it's off to ford it goes. Too bad Taxi cab companies don't offer repair services. Ill bet they could tell me exactly what is wrong with it without any wasted time or money.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

I did check the grounds to the rear turn signals. Everything lights up it just wont flash.

Unfortunately I think you wasted another $98 on the LCM. It's been my experience that none of the "eBay" LCM's work. I could have saved you the expense and you would have gotten a working LCM with a guarantee.

The LCM does contain the flasher for the turn signals.

HITEKBALANCER
06-10-2013, 06:13 AM
Cancelled the sale. My shop foreman found it. Here is a riddle. What is gray, furry and usually chased by cats?

Mice. Mice chewed through the harness and took out the blue/white wire and two others. The harness goes through the footboard on the passenger side.

This is the second time. I now keep Decon in all my cars. I also scattered Decon boxes all around my property outdoors, indoors in the cars. In my commercial building. I keep refreshing it until it is no longer disappearing. These wires were chewed over a year ago. My foreman pushed a subwoofer power wire through the grommet 7 months ago and this is when the problem started.

fastblackmerc
06-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Glad you found the problem.