PDA

View Full Version : Mice and wiring

HITEKBALANCER
06-10-2013, 06:58 AM
One day I found some chewed Kleenex under the seat of my GM. I knew the buggers were in there. I didn't pay too much attention to it. Then I bought some big bags of candy as gifts for Christmas. One was M&Ms. The mice like those. I kept the bags in my trunk until Christmas eve and went to get them to wrap them. I picked up the bag and peanut M&Ms spilled all over I thought the bag must have split on its own.

Later that week I found a chewed M&M on my seat and a little mouse poop.

Making a long story short, two major wiring harness chew problems caused by mice.

DECON is now in every car. When I first put it in may car, the mice emptied the tray and stored it in the trunk lid. When I opened it it spilled out from under the lid. Now in every storage area, In every woodpile, and every building on the property. At least 25 trays here there and everywhere. At first all the trays were cleaned out. I replaced them. Now they are not being eaten. No more mice.

Moral of the story, you may not need a new LCM and multifunction switch. I had left low beam out and right turn signal problems on low beam only.The dealer proposed starting there to the tune of almost $1000. I disagreed and went out on my own.

My foreman found it this morning. I knew there was a wiring problem I just could not find it. He reminded me that this all started when we installed a subwoofer power wire through the harness grommet by the passengers feet. He pulled out a nest under the hood.

He pulled the carpet back and saw three wires in a main harness chewed through. Problem solved.

Previously I have evap emissions problems. The dealer wanted to drop the tank and replace the sensor on the top of the tank. the mice chewed the harness under the rear seat. The dealer just twanted to start replacing things and look for wiring problems later.