PDA

View Full Version : Ford Marketing worried about Hyundai and Kia ??

Bluerauder
06-12-2013, 04:24 AM
While at Carlisle on Friday, the rain had cut down the crowd considerably as folks went back to the hotel early. Since we had already hit the Building T and Y displays and the Car Corral area, we decided to go up to the "Raptor Ride-Along".

Despite no one in line, the girl at the gate said that we both had to register at the Ford Expo outside Gate 3 and get a wristband. We hopped in the car and drove down quickly. No one there either.

We checked in and had to do a quick computer registration with Ford. After a few basic questions, we both got a quiz reference Ford vs. Hyundai (my son got Kia questions). What we knew about either car, likelihood of checking them out etc. Anyone else do this at Carlisle and get a different manufacturer?? Just shows who Ford thinks is their current competition. At least they are looking.

After a "Breathalizer" test, we went outside and saw about 20-25 cars lined up in the lot with keys in them for test drives. Take what you want as many as you want. Ford had set up about a 1/2 mile road course.

We each drove the Lincoln MKS, MKZ, and MKX and an Edge and a Fusion. My son took a Mustang around the course for good measure. I had to shut him off from driving all 25 cars since our purpose was to get the wristband and take the Raptor Ride.

Back up the hill, we were first in line to get into the Raptor for the ride in the mud and slop. The Raptor was blue but you couldn't really tell that. The driver explained all of the features, bells, whistles and capabilities as it negotiated the 15* side slope (says it can do 24*), front view camera, offset suspension, hill climb, straights and curves. We had fun.

Didn't get outta there until after 4:30 PM but we made the most of a day in the rain at Carlisle.

vkirkend
06-12-2013, 05:54 AM
My wife has owned 2 Kia's (I( took the first for a daily driver after she upgraded). They are inexpensive, come with a !0 year warranty and don't break often. I would love to get a 10 year warranty from Ford .....

Mebot
06-12-2013, 06:12 AM
I didn't know you could take test drives! That's pretty cool. Guess next year I'll be heading up on Friday to take advantage of this.

sent from a Samsung Galaxy far far away...

68MercuryM250
06-12-2013, 08:13 AM
I didn't know you could take test drives! That's pretty cool. Guess next year I'll be heading up on Friday to take advantage of this.

One of the new Kia models very much resembles the new Fusion a whole bunch. I have also noticed other Kia models that closley resemble other Ford models.....
I always do a double take. Almost infringing on Ford's design team concepts. Not cool on Kia's part. Then again, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

cat in the hat
06-12-2013, 08:18 AM

Same here, I only saw a tiny bit of what was available on Saturday.

Mr. Man
06-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Ford better take notice of the Koreans as they have been smart about fixing their problems very expediently. Took the Japanese 20 years to really catch on and I say the Koreans halved that number.

Haggis
06-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Built in America and putting Americans to work.

Bluerauder
06-12-2013, 08:44 AM

One of the new Kia models very much resembles the new Fusion a whole bunch. I have also noticed other Kia models that closley resemble other Ford models.....
I always do a double take. Almost infringing on Ford's design team concepts. Not cool on Kia's part. Then again, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Inside the Ford Expo, they also had a huge showroom with 35 cars/trucks on display for the basic touchy-feely review. I found the sliding roof on the MKS interesting (or was it the MKZ???); but when in the retracted position it really interferes with the view out the rearview mirror --- it cuts a slit down to a sliver view. The worst part is that the back edge of the glass roof ends up in the bad position of the absolute middle of your view out the mirror.

Basically cool but a potential problem out on the highway. All the new designs seems to not care about obstructed views and blind spots. This is probably in deference to the current crop of idiot driver's who don't use mirrors, don't check side clearance, think that a blinker gives them right-of way (if they use them at all), and who stare out the front windshield while playing with their damn cellphone, iPad or Blackberry. :mad2:

STEPS
06-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Hyundai and Kia are very strong in Australia. while I was there Ford announced that the will be closing their plant in 2015. The influx of Asian and Japanese cars has taken it's toll.
Ford has been producing cars there for 105 years.
Better start buying American '............................. .....

jerrym3
06-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Don't know about the cars, but there's a TV comercial made by one of those foreign brands (Kia, I think) that features an absolutely gorgeous brunette.

The theme is "remember that girl you never looked at in High School? Just look at her now", and she gets out of the car and "walks" towards the building entrance.

I DVR everything and fast forward commercials; I watch that one.

Bluerauder
06-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Don't know about the cars, but there's a TV comercial made by one of those foreign brands (Kia, I think) that features an absolutely gorgeous brunette.

The theme is "remember that girl you never looked at in High School? Just look at her now", and she gets out of the car and "walks" towards the building entrance.

I DVR everything and fast forward commercials; I watch that one.

I think that is the new 2014 Kia Cadenza commercial and I agree about the girl in the commercial..... black dress, high hemline, spiked heels headed to her high school reunion. I don't know much about Kia automobiles; but they do offer some fine options. ;)

Here's the commercial (the one with the redlipstick) >>>>> http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0oG7ovWsrhRHRQAls el87UF;_ylc=X1MDOTU4MTA0NjkEX3 IDMgRjc3JjcHZpZAN5Q1VWeVVvRzd2 eFJXS0xQS0ZBVkx3T20wTW1EWVZHNH N0SUFDdldoBGZyA2FsdGF2aXN0YQRm cjIDc2ctZ2FjBGdwcmlkAzhzMEIxcG prU3RHeHZfd3N2ZDJIU0EEaXQDZ3AE bl9ncHMDMQRvcmlnaW4Dc3ljBHBvcw MxBHBxc3RyA2tpYSBjYWRlbnphIGNv bW1lcgRxdWVyeQNraWEgY2FkZW56YS Bjb21tZXIEc2FjAzEEc2FvAzEEc2Vj A3JlbC1zYQRzbGsDdGV4dA--?p=kia%20cadenza%20commercial&fr=altavista&fr2=sg-gac&pqstr=kia%20cadenza%20commer

JACook
06-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Ford had better worry about more than just the Koreans. After owning Ford products pretty
much exclusively for the past 38 years, Ford currently has only one model that would even
remotely interest me. And Lincoln? Not even close.

When the inevitable time comes to replace the Marauder, Ford is nowhere on my list of
suitable candidates. And sorry UAW guys, I'm not likely to buy from Government Motors
or Fiat either.

If Ford had any sense, they would stop trying to make the Mustang look like a Fusion, and
build a proper premium RWD sedan instead.

PonyUP
06-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Ford had better worry about more than just the Koreans. After owning Ford products pretty
much exclusively for the past 38 years, Ford currently has only one model that would even
remotely interest me. And Lincoln? Not even close.

When the inevitable time comes to replace the Marauder, Ford is nowhere on my list of
suitable candidates. And sorry UAW guys, I'm not likely to buy from Government Motors
or Fiat either.

If Ford had any sense, they would stop trying to make the Mustang look like a Fusion, and
build a proper premium RWD sedan instead.

I don't know, the MKZ is growing on me. I think that's the right Lincoln sedan I'm thinking of. My brother in law bought one, AWD 355HP and it rides smooth.

I think Ford needs to figure out the 4 door sedans, but personally as a Mustang owner, I love it.

There SUVs are still second to none as well. The new Explorer is awesome, I really like the Edge and even the Escape is pretty comfy. I've had them all as Rentals and have enjoyed, enough so that an EDge may actually replace the Mustang now that I'm going to a snow environment again

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

Bluerauder
06-12-2013, 03:24 PM
I don't know, the MKZ is growing on me. I think that's the right Lincoln sedan I'm thinking of. My brother in law bought one, AWD 355HP and it rides smooth.

The MKZ offers the 3.7L Ti-VCT V6 that produces 300 HP and 277 TQ or a 2.0L Ecoboost. Its a Fusion sized vehicle.

The MKS offers the option of a 3.5L Ecoboost with 365 HP and 350 TQ. It is the Lincoln equivalent to the Taurus SHO.

So which one did your brother-in-law get? MKZ with 300 HP or MKS with 365 HP.

I just can't keep these "alphabet" cars straight.

lji372
06-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Ford better take notice of the Koreans as they have been smart about fixing their problems very expediently. Took the Japanese 20 years to really catch on and I say the Koreans halved that number.

That^^^^^^right there

Built in America and putting Americans to work.

Exactly which one is made in America? Which "American" company tells us they are loyal to us?

My loyalties to any particular auto company are long gone. Just my .02 :dunno:

jerrym3
06-12-2013, 04:08 PM
The new Impala has the very popular "cookiecutter" styling, but it's one of the better looking cookiecutters.

But, could they possibly have put a larger Chevy "bow tie" on the front end?

I guess they could.

Need to see the SS in the metal to form an educated opinion.

TAKEDOWN
06-12-2013, 04:16 PM
At the end was there any Bluerauder approved vehicles that you recommend?

Bluerauder
06-12-2013, 04:26 PM
At the end was there any Bluerauder approved vehicles that you recommend?

A 1/2 mile road course marked out with cones is not a good measure for a test drive although it did give a good idea on how the car would handle. I would have like to get on a highway and give it a little pedal.

I don't drive anything that I don't like or wouldn't recommend ... so basically I thought all of the ones that I drove would be a good vehicle depending on your needs and circumstances.

I drove the MKZ, the MKS, the MKX, the Edge and the Fusion. I would recommend all of them. I liked them all.

The MKS really caught my eye with the full glass panel retractable roof. The "push button" aspects of this car would take a little getting use to. No shifter, all push buttons and a touch screen. I already mentioned the rear visibility issues with the roof retracted.

If I were in the market for an SUV, I wouldn't hesitate to get an Edge. I probably should have driven a Flex too but just didn't get around to it.

I liked the Fusion and I would have liked to try the 3.5L Ecoboost MKS to do a compare to my SHO..

I hate the "alphabet" names of the Lincolns because I cannot keep them straight in my mind.

TAKEDOWN
06-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Yup, saw the earlier complaints... maybe in the market for a new daily driver, but we'll see. 04cvpi Beater still rollin' strong and $aving me money.

Back on topic Carlisle...

PonyUP
06-12-2013, 06:23 PM
The MKZ offers the 3.7L Ti-VCT V6 that produces 300 HP and 277 TQ or a 2.0L Ecoboost. Its a Fusion sized vehicle.

The MKS offers the option of a 3.5L Ecoboost with 365 HP and 350 TQ. It is the Lincoln equivalent to the Taurus SHO.

So which one did your brother-in-law get? MKZ with 300 HP or MKS with 365 HP.

I just can't keep these "alphabet" cars straight.

Yeah I have a hard time with it too Charlie, he got the ecoboost MKS, which I really liked

PonyUP
06-12-2013, 06:26 PM
A 1/2 mile road course marked out with cones is not a good measure for a test drive although it did give a good idea on how the car would handle. I would have like to get on a highway and give it a little pedal.

I don't drive anything that I don't like or wouldn't recommend ... so basically I thought all of the ones that I drove would be a good vehicle depending on your needs and circumstances.

I drove the MKZ, the MKS, the MKX, the Edge and the Fusion. I would recommend all of them. I liked them all.

The MKS really caught my eye with the full glass panel retractable roof. The "push button" aspects of this car would take a little getting use to. No shifter, all push buttons and a touch screen. I already mentioned the rear visibility issues with the roof retracted.

If I were in the market for an SUV, I wouldn't hesitate to get an Edge. I probably should have driven a Flex too but just didn't get around to it.

I liked the Fusion and I would have liked to try the 3.5L Ecoboost MKS to do a compare to my SHO..

I hate the "alphabet" names of the Lincolns because I cannot keep them straight in my mind.

I drive a flex as a rental about 6 months ago, I liked it. It ride a little lower than SUVs, handled like a car and had a ton of space. I liked it

SC Cheesehead
06-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I drive a flex as a rental about 6 months ago, I liked it. It ride a little lower than SUVs, handled like a car and had a ton of space. I liked it

I wan't a fan of the Flex until I drove one.

+1 on the space.

duhtroll
06-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Reverse that - Kia was what influenced Ford, not vice-versa.

Look at the new Escape and then go look at a Kia Sportage which has been out since '11. And the Kia designs for the Optima have been out years longer than the new Fusion has. Better mileage, more HP and more fun to drive too IMO for the Optima.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=200421096|sedan&veh2=200425946|sedan&veh3=101420859|suv&veh4=200432438|suv&show=0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9&comparatorId=9378623

Look at the HP and torque. Now look at what RPMs the Kia hits peak.

Ford is playing catch up ball here. One can get much more car for the money with a better warranty from Hyundai/Kia. As for SYNC, Kia has the same system designed by Microsoft, though it is called UVO. (or was if they changed it)

When I was shopping at a local Ford/Kia dealer, the sales guys told me they sell 10 Kias to every Ford. And I can see why.

71cyclone
06-12-2013, 08:22 PM
I heard some years back that in the early years, Ford has some financial assistance with Hyundai. i personaly have questions ,but I find it interesting that you could find a Kia or Hyundai dealer in close proximity [as in same property] of a Ford or Lincoln dealer ship. In Glen Burnie Md. the Kia show room is connected to the Ford Show room [short hall way] .:shake:

jerrym3
06-13-2013, 05:21 AM
I think that is the new 2014 Kia Cadenza commercial and I agree about the girl in the commercial..... black dress, high hemline, spiked heels headed to her high school reunion. I don't know much about Kia automobiles; but they do offer some fine options. ;)

Here's the commercial (the one with the redlipstick) >>>>> http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0oG7ovWsrhRHRQAls el87UF;_ylc=X1MDOTU4MTA0NjkEX3 IDMgRjc3JjcHZpZAN5Q1VWeVVvRzd2 eFJXS0xQS0ZBVkx3T20wTW1EWVZHNH N0SUFDdldoBGZyA2FsdGF2aXN0YQRm cjIDc2ctZ2FjBGdwcmlkAzhzMEIxcG prU3RHeHZfd3N2ZDJIU0EEaXQDZ3AE bl9ncHMDMQRvcmlnaW4Dc3ljBHBvcw MxBHBxc3RyA2tpYSBjYWRlbnphIGNv bW1lcgRxdWVyeQNraWEgY2FkZW56YS Bjb21tZXIEc2FjAzEEc2FvAzEEc2Vj A3JlbC1zYQRzbGsDdGV4dA--?p=kia%20cadenza%20commercial&fr=altavista&fr2=sg-gac&pqstr=kia%20cadenza%20commer

Yep, that's the one.

I may be 70, but I still like to look.

(I just can't remember why.)

hotford
06-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Lincoln MKT is priced at 45288 MSRP and the Genesis R spec is 47350 MSRP
priced close together but the Genesis is out selling the Lincoln.......someone should be listening.............
only two vehicles FORD offers i would consider would be a F series truck or the Mustang,nothing they have other than that interests me.........

ChiTownMaraud3r
06-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Why would the MKT even compare to the Genesis R spec?

68MercuryM250
06-13-2013, 09:03 AM
I heard some years back that in the early years, Ford has some financial assistance with Hyundai. i personaly have questions ,but I find it interesting that you could find a Kia or Hyundai dealer in close proximity [as in same property] of a Ford or Lincoln dealer ship. In Glen Burnie Md. the Kia show room is connected to the Ford Show room [short hall way] .:shake:

Mark Martin Ford in Batesville, AR (just a minute or two down the road) opened a Kia dealership a few years back. He sells the fire out of them.
I have long family ties with Ford so I am very brand loyal. Wishing for a return of the rear drive sedan........My '12 Taurus is nice but I would rather have a CV or better yet a new Marauder any day over anything front wheel drive. My only interest in new vehicles from hence forth is Mustang or truck. Ford needs to listen up!!

jerrym3
06-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Now, don't shoot the messenger, and I haven't read the full article, but the Taurus ranked last in a five car comparison in the latest MotorTrend.

1) Kia Cadenza
2) Impala
3) Avalon
4) Chrysler 300S
5) Taurus

And, this roadtest was written before the Kia commercial with the hot brunette was released on TV.:)

Bluerauder
06-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Now, don't shoot the messenger, and I haven't read the full article, but the Taurus ranked last in a five car comparison in the latest MotorTrend.

1) Kia Cadenza
2) Impala
3) Avalon
4) Chrysler 300S
5) Taurus SEL

And, this roadtest was written before the Kia commercial with the hot brunette was released on TV.:)

WTF does MotorTrend know? They tested the base Taurus SEL against the top of the line in the other vehicles. Is the Cadenza and Avalon classed as an Entry level car? I say not --- Look at the prices as tested below. WTF. Why didn't they compare to the Taurus Limited or to the SHO?? I am sure that the 3.5L Ecoboost would have lead in the MPG category. And it would definitely be better than 15.1 in the 1/4 mile and 125 feet in braking, too. Looks like they cooked the books in favor of the import .... but that ain't nothing new for MotorTrend or any of the other Car & Drivel rags.

The Taurus SEL was basically up against cars that priced out as $5,000 to $11,000 more expensive and it didn't have enough power or features for them. What :bs: :rolleyes: At $44K the Taurus SHO would have kicked all their asses with a 13.5 quartermile, 5.0 second 0-60 MPH, 110 feet in braking, adaptive cruise control, heated and cooled seats, plush interior, crash avoidance radar, blindspot sensors, rear sunshade, rear camera, paddle shifters and plenty of rear seat room.

1) Kia Cadenza $44,349
2) Impala LTZ $38,724
3) Avalon $43,972
4) Chrysler 300S $41,633
5) Taurus SEL $33,580

Here the review from MT >>>>> http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1307_the_big_test_2013_2014_fu ll_size_sedans/

Mustang man
06-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Taurus SHO is my only consideration for a Marauder replacement
(used)

BLACKMARAUDER04
06-13-2013, 05:17 PM
The new Kia flagship beat the Taurus in a comparison in Moter Trend I believe. Actually the Taurus finished last. They should have gotten one with Ecoboost. I love the difference between both my MKS and Marauder.

blkZooM
06-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Honestly Ford cars right now don't impress me, Cadillacs CTSV are the only four doors I'm looking at after the Marauder

super3960
06-13-2013, 07:11 PM
I recently got rid of my wife's 2012 Kia Optima due to the horrible engine issues I had with the car. I blew a motor at 2300 miles due to the oil pump failing on the turnpike. They left me stranded with no ride from the toll plaza. Finally got the car back after two weeks and within a few days I noticed it was leaking oil from the new motor. Back to the dealer it went and when I got it back it had a cracked windshield. I ended up having to sue KIA because of all the issues. In the end I got a couple of bucks and the ifs got a 2013 explorer. I would tell anyone interested in KIA don't buy one. I know people who have them and like them but dealing with them when you have a problem is maddening.

jerrym3
06-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Maybe Ford needs better looking brunettes?:)

As for me, I'm not wild about Ford's (or Lincoln's) sedan styling, especially from the rear. Too CUV-ish.

But, that's just a personal preference.

I sat in a Fusion today while they serviced my Lincoln LS. I was not as comfortable as I am in my LS.

Again, personal preference.

Bluerauder
06-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Maybe Ford needs better looking brunettes?:)

Could be. If they offered one as an option, I'd sacrifice a moonroof and maybe the heated seats too. But they'd have to list it as a license plate frame or option A312 or something so I don't have to explain to the wife. ;)

L.Mark
06-13-2013, 08:25 PM
It would be the Auto Park option...:banana:

justbob
06-13-2013, 08:46 PM
We are slowing looking for a daily for the wife and yes along with Fusions, Taurus's, and Edge, we are considering Optima, Charger, and even MB C300. We like to keep a wide range in mind and narrow it down over time.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Haggis
06-14-2013, 04:28 AM
I would buy German over Jap (Asian) any day. Just me, I am bias.

jerrym3
06-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Not that I'm in the market for a new car (my 2004 Lincoln LS was probably my last new vehicle), but I'd go with a Ford or Lincoln and use the Z plan pricing.

Considering the minimal amount of miles and the type of driving I do now, I doubt if vehicle positives (or negatives) really mean that much to me anymore.

If I get the urge to just go for a cruise, I've got the 64 Galaxie or the 03 TBird.

Now, if I were a few decades younger, a Mustang GT would be a nice ride.

(Standard shift, of course.)

Mr. Man
06-14-2013, 07:51 AM
We are slowing looking for a daily for the wife and yes along with Fusions, Taurus's, and Edge, we are considering Optima, Charger, and even MB C300. We like to keep a wide range in mind and narrow it down over time.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"
How about a Volvo? :burnout:

Haggis
06-14-2013, 08:03 AM
How about a Volvo? :burnout:

Doesn't that mean 'meatball' is Swedish?

Bluerauder
06-14-2013, 08:57 AM
So I am guessing from all of the responses that me and my son were the only ones to registered, take the quiz and do a bunch of test drives at the Ford Expo, correct??

Keep that activity in mind for the next rainy day at Carlisle ... 'cause rain do seem to be an official part of Carlisle on at least part of 1 day. ;)

Haggis
06-14-2013, 09:15 AM
The next vehicle I buy will be made in the USA by US citizens.

Mebot
06-14-2013, 09:31 AM

A Toyota? or Honda?

aren't those manufactured at plants here in the US? Doesn't Ford and GM and Chrysler build their vehicles in Mexico or Canada?

Haggis
06-14-2013, 09:34 AM
A Toyota? or Honda?

aren't those manufactured at plants here in the US? Doesn't Ford and GM and Chrysler build their vehicles in Mexico or Canada?

Some, I believe P/U are still built in the US.

Mr. Man
06-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Some, I believe P/U are still built in the US.
My T was assembled in Mississippi.

kernie
06-14-2013, 02:02 PM

My 3 month old elantra was made in the USA, ford shmord, they have nearly abandoned Canada.

I agree with others here, who is really "domestic" anymore?

:beer:

ChiTownMaraud3r
06-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Honestly Ford cars right now don't impress me, Cadillacs CTSV are the only four doors I'm looking at after the Marauder

Agreed! I would look for a 2008-2012 CTS-V or Mercedes Benz C63 AMG after the Marauder. Maybe a Chrysler 300 SRT or Charger SRT. Nothing else interests me.