PDA

View Full Version : ASWC Issue?

capt512
07-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Hey Everyone,

Having an issue with the AWSC in my car. Using it with the Pioneer Z140BH and when I turn the lights on it looses the volume control. Lights off everything works fine. Lights on volume up no longer works and volume down intermittently turns volume up. Then I can turn them right back off and its normal.

Any clue what is going on?

Also anyone with similar have problems with Pandora and their radio? Mine is very picky, loosing connection often.

BLACKMARAUDER04
07-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Losing connection in the radio is a common feature of the Marauder.
Upgrade to a Escape/Mariner in dash 6 cd radio.

fastblackmerc
07-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Losing connection in the radio is a common feature of the Marauder.
Upgrade to a Escape/Mariner in dash 6 cd radio.

:shake:

The OP has already upgraded to an aftermarket headunit.

He's having a problem with the steering wheel witch interface to the aftermarket headunit.

fastblackmerc
07-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Hey Everyone,

Having an issue with the AWSC in my car. Using it with the Pioneer Z140BH and when I turn the lights on it looses the volume control. Lights off everything works fine. Lights on volume up no longer works and volume down intermittently turns volume up. Then I can turn them right back off and its normal.

Any clue what is going on?

Also anyone with similar have problems with Pandora and their radio? Mine is very picky, loosing connection often.

I have a X940BT and have had no problems with Pandora or any of the BT functions.

Sounds like you might have a wire connected wrong on the AWSC.

capt512
07-06-2013, 08:11 AM
I will have to pull the unit back out my next day off and double check, but I checked the wires multiple times when installed so I don't know what is happening. Wierd that it works, lights turn on and next and volume up don't work, then lights off and it works again. Can do it over and over.

Last night my bluetooth mic for some reason stopped recognizing all commands, and now it works again.

Pandora usually won't connect, or drops connection almost every time I use it atleast once if not twice. Only does it with headunit though, if I just use Pandora on my phone it works fine.

I also have an issue with the ASWC that maybe you can give insight on, if I am in Tuner mode, or Sirius mode and hit the next button on the steering wheel it goes to the next number instead of the next preset. For example I have presets set for all the FM stations. So instead of being on Preset 1 (say 94.1) hitting next and going to Preset 2 (98.1), it goes to 94.3 (not a station). So I have to use the screen vs the steering wheel. Any idea how to make next control presets not manual tune?

capt512
07-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Ok took the dash back apart today to look at wiring for ASWC and here is what I found:
The red ASWC wire is connected to the red wiring Scosche harness wire (which is "12 volt ignition / switched").
The black ASWC wire is hooked into a chassis ground wire that I ran, this same wire has 1 or two other grounds from the head unit hooked into it then to the chassis ground on the passenger floor kickpanel.
The gray w/red stripe ASWC wire is connected to a brown Scosche wiring harness wire, which is originally a light blue wire w/red stripe wire from the factory harness. Which matches up to what the ASWC manual says.

All the rest of the wires are individually capped off and not hooked up.

The problem isn't all the time either, for example last night and today the ASWC worked as it should, then about 45 minutes later when I tried switching the lights on it stopped working until I turned them back off.

Checked all connections and all are good, and in fact they are all soldered.

Thoughts??

martyo
07-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Reset and then reprogram the unit.

capt512
07-10-2013, 07:30 AM
I've hit the reset button and let it relearn probably 10 times. No difference. It relearns correctly, but then when I turn the lights on it forgets, then when I turn them back off it works again.

martyo
07-10-2013, 07:39 AM
It sounds like it is losing power when the lights are turned on.

Have you called their tech support line?

capt512
07-10-2013, 03:11 PM
It seems as if it reprograms itself when I turn the lights on, as it has power after turning them on, the buttons just don't work how they are supposed to. Wierd. I have not tried calling them yet, as I wanted to make sure I have it wired up correctly first.

fastblackmerc
07-10-2013, 07:07 PM
It seems as if it reprograms itself when I turn the lights on, as it has power after turning them on, the buttons just don't work how they are supposed to. Wierd. I have not tried calling them yet, as I wanted to make sure I have it wired up correctly first.

It's not wired correctly. You need a constant 12v source.

capt512
07-10-2013, 08:31 PM
I wondered if that could have something to do with it, however the manual states on page 6, "Installation", "2) Connect the Red wire of the ASWC to a 12-volt accessory wire, one that turns "on" and "off" with the ignition key." Googled ASWC wiring and all results on forums came up with people saying it should be the switched power like it says in the manual or it can cause parasitic drain...

If it does in fact need to be constant that is easy enough to do...I just want to make sure that that is how ours have to be wired as everything else says it must be switched power..

martyo
07-11-2013, 04:27 AM
Have you called their tech support line yet?

capt512
07-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Not yet, been working and my hours don't allow me to troubleshoot with them on days I work. Gonna give them a call today.

mylow907
07-11-2013, 08:22 AM
You don't need a constant. There may be a chance the button on the car is just bad, and the light wire is shorting though the button. I would make sure the aswc is plugged in al the way. We had issues with one yesterday. If you leave it on a constant you will have a draw on your battery when car is off ( won't happen right away but leave car for a couple days and you will come back to a dead battery.)

fastblackmerc
07-11-2013, 08:32 AM
You don't need a constant. There may be a chance the button on the car is just bad, and the light wire is shorting though the button. I would make sure the aswc is plugged in al the way. We had issues with one yesterday. If you leave it on a constant you will have a draw on your battery when car is off ( won't happen right away but leave car for a couple days and you will come back to a dead battery.)

Your right... my bad.

Installing one in a few minutes.

Red - Switched power
Black - Ground
Grey / Red (pin #5) - Light Blue / Red wire in the factory harness (pin #18)

capt512
08-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Update- called the tech support line and they said everything seemed right to them and they didn't know why I was having the issue. Since I have been having issues with mine when I turn the lights on I am trying to rewire it again.

The ground for it was wired in with some other grounds and the accessory hot was also wired in with some other accessory hot wires. So I am seperating it out to help with voltage fluctuation now.

However the problem I am having is finding what to tap into for accessory hot. I currently was tapped into the radio wiring harness for accessory hot, however that is where numerous other wires were also tapped in. I don't know another accessory hot to use?

What did everyone wire into?

MyBlackBeasts
08-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Update- called the tech support line and they said everything seemed right to them and they didn't know why I was having the issue. Since I have been having issues with mine when I turn the lights on I am trying to rewire it again.

The ground for it was wired in with some other grounds and the accessory hot was also wired in with some other accessory hot wires. So I am seperating it out to help with voltage fluctuation now.

However the problem I am having is finding what to tap into for accessory hot. I currently was tapped into the radio wiring harness for accessory hot, however that is where numerous other wires were also tapped in. I don't know another accessory hot to use?

Same wire on the radio wiring harness adapter for new head unit.

When wiring tghe radio I T'd the SWC unit to the radio access pos & ground.

Other than programing hell, it works fine.

fastblackmerc
08-28-2013, 12:49 PM

Got your PM. Will let you know the wires I used when I get home tonight.

capt512
08-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks FBM! Black Beasts, I wired it that same way, using the accessory wire off harness and ground that is shared for radio but that's all I have left that I can think of causing this issue. You say programming hell? Why so? Mine worked on auto...and to be honest after reading the manual about 50 times I still have no idea how to manually program each button.

My issue has to be voltage or something I would guess as the voltage must change to the acc or ground when I turn on the lights, and then the ASWC reprograms itself wrong, and then when I turn lights off it reprograms again and works like it should.

MyBlackBeasts
08-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks FBM! Black Beasts, I wired it that same way, using the accessory wire off harness and ground that is shared for radio but that's all I have left that I can think of causing this issue. You say programming hell? Why so? Mine worked on auto...and to be honest after reading the manual about 50 times I still have no idea how to manually program each button.

My issue has to be voltage or something I would guess as the voltage must change to the acc or ground when I turn on the lights, and then the ASWC reprograms itself wrong, and then when I turn lights off it reprograms again and works like it should.

The autodetect kept ID-ing my Kenwood as a JVC.

Took about 1.5 hours of farting around with the manual programming before it actually started working correctly.

No issue like yours though.

Good luck! :D

capt512
08-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Youch that sounds fun! I double checked what everything is tapped into ... actually more like 20th time checked and all is what it should be. Ran a different ground that is grounded by itself...lets hope this fixes it...doubtful.

fastblackmerc
08-29-2013, 04:38 AM
Youch that sounds fun! I double checked what everything is tapped into ... actually more like 20th time checked and all is what it should be. Ran a different ground that is grounded by itself...lets hope this fixes it...doubtful.

How do you make your connections?

I always solder and heat shrink tube mine.

capt512
08-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Sent you a PM, solder and heat shrink for me as well. Crimp ring terminal on end of ground and then ground bolted behind passenger kick panel to grounding location.

capt512
08-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Well I went out and started the car today and when I turned the lights on it was the same as usual, not working with volume buttons. Drove it to a shop to get new gear fluid changed and back, and turned lights on and it works. Its like the wiring has to warm up or something.

Gonna buy a new ASWC today...probably won't get it installed until next week though. And unfortunetly since sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't its hard to test with a multimeter, etc.

I did however notice last night...after putting everything back together...and it working..cold... that while it was working, the led on the unit wasn't coming on at all. So maybe its bad IDK.

MyBlackBeasts
08-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Well I went out and started the car today and when I turned the lights on it was the same as usual, not working with volume buttons. Drove it to a shop to get new gear fluid changed and back, and turned lights on and it works. Its like the wiring has to warm up or something.

Gonna buy a new ASWC today...probably won't get it installed until next week though. And unfortunetly since sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't its hard to test with a multimeter, etc.

I did however notice last night...after putting everything back together...and it working..cold... that while it was working, the led on the unit wasn't coming on at all. So maybe its bad IDK.

The box has to be bad. The NV memory is defective or something in the electronics is causing it to reset.

Contact their CS & see if they will exchange it for you.

martyo
08-29-2013, 10:48 AM
We are dealing with one that is not operating properly as well. It is frustrating.

capt512
08-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Contacted CS and they were less than helpful. Told me that they thought I must not have grounded it consistently...which I know is not the case. Said that they couldn't do anything for me, that I needed to contact the original seller if I wanted to warranty or swap it out...which is a lost cause seeing as how I bought it all 3+ months ago.
I'm ordering 1 more. Then I don't know what to do. Not at all happy, for $50.

fastblackmerc
08-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Contacted CS and they were less than helpful. Told me that they thought I must not have grounded it consistently...which I know is not the case. Said that they couldn't do anything for me, that I needed to contact the original seller if I wanted to warranty or swap it out...which is a lost cause seeing as how I bought it all 3+ months ago.

Well that sucks.... I guess the company won't stand behind their products.... next time I need and interface I'll be looking elsewhere.

MyBlackBeasts
08-30-2013, 06:20 PM

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADSMSW/iDatalink-Maestro-ADS-MSW.html?tp=476

See if compatible with your head unit.

justbob
08-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Do your self a favor and slowly turn the steering wheel left to right while holding the malfunctioning button. I have had the exact issues as yours with a different brand and just now traced it back to a defective clock spring. Dead center driving, volume no worky. New one in route..

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

capt512
08-30-2013, 08:15 PM
The maestro will work so something I will consider. Will contact crutchfield to see what they have to say as well. Reviews are mixed.
Justbob - did you have the same issue with the lights causing the buttons not to work? I will try and give it a shot next time it happens.

I definetly prefer to not use the AWSC again seeing the horrible customer service and it not working.

justbob
08-31-2013, 04:31 PM
It was so intermittent that I couldn't honestly answer that.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

capt512
08-31-2013, 10:26 PM
Well tonight for the first time it stopped working when I put the car in park. For the last 3 days it had been working like it should, then tonight I pulled into driveway, put car in park (still running just in park) and it stopped working. Tried moving the steering wheel and no difference so looks like its not that. Banged on dash, steering wheel, etc and no difference. I hate this unit.

capt512
09-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Ordered the Maestro yesterday. Crutchfield online "car fitment guide" showed that it would work, then I talked to someone at Crutchfield who at first said thier system showed it wont, then said it should. :-/ Checked on the Maestro site and they have the marauder listed and it seems to work. Very easy site to use. Will let everyone know how it goes. Install is the same it appears for the most part.

fastblackmerc
09-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Ordered the Maestro yesterday. Crutchfield online "car fitment guide" showed that it would work, then I talked to someone at Crutchfield who at first said thier system showed it wont, then said it should. :-/ Checked on the Maestro site and they have the marauder listed and it seems to work. Very easy site to use. Will let everyone know how it goes. Install is the same it appears for the most part.

You have some weird electrical problem going on..... my ASWC works fine everyday.

capt512
09-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Yeah my guess is I got a bad ASWC-1 but since Metra is unwilling to warranty the product I am going to try another product instead.

MyBlackBeasts
09-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Yeah my guess is I got a bad ASWC-1 but since Metra is unwilling to warranty the product I am going to try another product instead.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Very interested.

Thnx!

capt512
09-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Installed the Maestro last week, and it was just as easy if not more so to install. The ability to have push and hold settings is awesome. And so far knock on wood no issues like with the awsc.

MyBlackBeasts
09-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Installed the Maestro last week, and it was just as easy if not more so to install. The ability to have push and hold settings is awesome. And so far knock on wood no issues like with the awsc.

This is good info, thank you for sharing.

After finishing my nightmare programming mine is still working. If it dies it's good to know there is an alternative as I'd hate to go this route again.

capt512
09-15-2013, 08:24 PM
It wires up exactly the same, only difference is you plug the unit into a computer via usb cable provided and select what you want each button to do. Then wire it up and you are good to go! I had a similar problem as before today on a 3 hour drive, it seemed it occurred as the car was running for a while. I hit the back of the steering wheel behind the buttons and it immediately fixed it...so I am pretty sure the buttons are messed up as well. But MUCH MUCH better than before with the ASWC.