PDA

View Full Version : Credit card fraud

Mr. Man
07-10-2013, 02:48 PM
I just received a call from my credit card company asking me if I was in Atlanta and did I use my card at a bunch of mall type stores. I said NO in fact I haven't had the card out in many months as I generally pay cash for everything.

The only thing I've used the card for in recent memory was the room reservation at the Homewood Suites for MV11. It is most likely a coincidence but just giving y'all a heads up to double check your credit card bills if you used one to reserve a room.

In fact it is a good idea to check your bill carefully every time you get one.

:beer:

Blk04MM
07-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Atlanta is the "credit scam" state right now. Doesn't surprise me. Everything from taxes to credit card fraud is alive and well there.

Definitely check up on your cards frequently if you use them a lot

Bluerauder
07-10-2013, 02:59 PM
... but just giving y'all a heads up to double check your credit card bills if you used one to reserve a room.

I never look at the bills. ;) I have a professional credit card checker on the household staff. So if there a charge on it, she asks "What the h3LL is THIS for ?" and "What the h3LL is THAT for ?" Usually I can come up with a plausible explanation.

This happened to me once a couple Christmases ago. A charge appeared on my credit card and was logged to a company in South Carolina. The CC company called and asked me a similar question. I asked about the amount and I just happened to remember a charge to one of those "kiosk" shop in the local mall. Turns out that they were a mobile vendor who was based out of South Carolina and their charges were logged through their main office location. The amount of the charge was key to resolving the problem because I couldn't make heads or tails out of the truncated description.

BTW -- thanks for the heads-up.

WhatsUpDOHC
07-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Shouldn't you be able to call the hotel and find out who took your reservation?

Case closed.

Mr. Man
07-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Shouldn't you be able to call the hotel and find out who took your reservation?

Case closed.Did it online with the MV11 code. Like I said it might just be a coincedence with the hotel. I'm not pointing any fingers just putting out a warning to scrutinize your recent CC bills for possible fraud. :)

tbone
07-10-2013, 04:44 PM
My wife got a call a while back asking if she bought an airline ticket from Miami to Haiti. They already had it approved. Idiots!

Ladyhawke
07-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Did it online with the MV11 code. Like I said it might just be a coincedence with the hotel. I'm not pointing any fingers just putting out a warning to scrutinize your recent CC bills for possible fraud. :)

We are very careful about typing in our cc number online. Don't even do online banking like a lot of folks. Had a similar problem a few years back, think they took the card number at the local happy hour place my co-workers go to. Needless to say, I use cash there now.

GAMike
07-10-2013, 05:08 PM
I have lived in Atlanta off & on for the past 21 years..... Never had an issue with credit card fraud, bank tampering or any other BS of the sort....

No need to link Marauderville to any unfortunate set of circumstances an individual may be experiencing at the present time..... Take precautions "yes".... In some way link Marauderville to the dark cloud of Fraud? Hell no. This does not need any further discussion/piling on.....

cat in the hat
07-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Fraud is scary because no matter what you do, you can be a victim, and although you're (usually) not responsible for the money it is still a gigantic, time-consuming PITA to straighten out.

The credit card companies themselves could probably cut fraud in half overnight just by making it a little bit harder.

- For example, why don't credit cards have PIN's ? It's not an Earth-shattering new idea - ATM cards have required them for 35 years.

MOTOWN
07-10-2013, 06:08 PM
We are very careful about typing in our cc number online. Don't even do online banking like a lot of folks. Had a similar problem a few years back, think they took the card number at the local happy hour place my co-workers go to. Needless to say, I use cash there now.

The fact that you dont do online banking, or purchases online has absolutely nothing to do with a thief stealing your info,as a member of the LEO community i worked check/credit card fraud squad for years and i can tell you first hand your info is hacked from the grocery store, Macys, Target, Electric/gas companys and any where else we all do business with a computer data base.

MM03MOK
07-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Happened to me not too long ago. I didn't make $800 worth of purchases at a ToysRUs in Georgia. CitiBank caught it right away.

L.Mark
07-10-2013, 06:43 PM
The fact that you dont do online banking, or purchases online has absolutely nothing to do with a thief stealing your info,as a member of the LEO community i worked check/credit card fraud squad for years and i can tell you first hand your info is hacked from the grocery store, Macys, Target, Electric/gas companys and any where else we all do business with a computer data base.

So true...or they take it out of the computer at the place you gave it. Happened to me with DISH network. I only used the CC for them to get service. 6 months in there was a $900 chrge for equipment from a person called Laquifa. CC company canceled the card and resolved the problem afte I had contacted DISH and had them remove the charge etc...

Ken
07-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Discover caught mine late May, text and emailed me, asking me to call their number, thought that they wanted to sell me fraud insurance, because Citibank will call me if they suspect anything. Anyway, Discover asked if I charged $552 at Walmart.com, of course not! Also did I charge Verizon? What was the transaction date? the 27th, no, I pay mine on the 5th. (forgot that I use the Citibank Card for that.) They closed the acct and mailed me a new card. I asked them, why did they suspect that purchase? When a $500+ online purchase would not be an odd purchase for that card, did it three months prior. He said that he couldn't comment on this purchase, but could have been something as simple as the shipping address not matching the billing address, or even the billing address could be wrong. Makes sense!

I keep two cards, the Citibank for all of the Auto-payments, and most purchases, for the rebate; and a Discover card for all online purchases or anywhere my card may get compromised. I rarely use cash, keep better track of my money that way. First time, that card has had a problem.

GAMike
07-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Some azz hat traps your CC # or hacks it from a database...... Yes it's unfortunate that the buyers of this information sometimes utilize their "purchase" or fraudulently obtained information in Georgia.

My guess is there is not a state in this country, or a nation on earth that does not have to combat this crime. Its a 24/7 365 thing........ Again posting this right around the corner from an event such as Marauderville, smacks of BS controversy that we do not need as registration nears. There is no place for this here..... We are all experienced with credit/debit cards. This is not a new phenomenon....

To me this kind of crap is more damaging to MM.net than any Boost Gets You **** innuendo or pictures of provocative woman...They made their choice to pose, you made your choice to view..... There are many forms of subversion, imho this crap is the worst.......

Ladyhawke
07-10-2013, 07:23 PM

Yep, like I said, I only use cash now at the local sports bar when the work gang goes out for happy hour. That's the only place I used that card where it could have been jeopardized. Servers walk away with your card and can obtain your number, name, and code without you knowing it.

L.Mark
07-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Fraud is scary because no matter what you do, you can be a victim, and although you're (usually) not responsible for the money it is still a gigantic, time-consuming PITA to straighten out.

The credit card companies themselves could probably cut fraud in half overnight just by making it a little bit harder.

- For example, why don't credit cards have PIN's ? It's not an Earth-shattering new idea - ATM cards have required them for 35 years.

Ways around that. There are a number of places that run it without using the PIN...just sying

As for tranishing Marauderville. I doubt that this will scare people away. If they are going they are going. Just because nothing has happened like this doesn't mean it can't or won't. I took it for a warning for CC fraud...not "Beware Marauderville because..." With what has happened recently it can be very easy to start crying the sky is falling when in fact it's just people talking to friends and family here. IMHO...

cat in the hat
07-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Ways around that. There are a number of places that run it without using the PIN...just sying

As for tranishing Marauderville. I doubt that this will scare people away. If they are going they are going. Just because nothing has happened like this doesn't mean it can't or won't. I took it for a warning for CC fraud...not "Beware Marauderville because..." With what has happened recently it can be very easy to start crying the sky is falling when in fact it's just people talking to friends and family here. IMHO...

Oh, I agree 100% - I'm not saying that particular thing would be the answer, but it might be a start. Part of the reason there's so much fraud is because it's so easy, IMO, and credit card companies don't seem concerned at all.

Another example - I write "REQUEST PHOTO ID" with a red sharpie on the back, where the signature is supposed to go. About one cashier in five actually asks to see my ID.

And no, I didn't take anything in this thread as a knock on MV or Atlanta either.

L.Mark
07-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Yup, I don't sign any of the back of my cards wanting them to ask for ID. I"ve gotten tired of asking them so I just let it go. That's why its good to have a credit card that will back you up when you say "FOUL".

MOTOWN
07-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Thats why i like my Paypal debit card!, everytime i make a purchase i instantly get an email notification with the transaction details.

CWright
07-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Thats why i like my Paypal debit card!, everytime i make a purchase i instantly get an email notification with the transaction details.

Good idea!!

WhatsUpDOHC
07-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Good idea!!
Yes it is.
I have to see if AmEx also offers this.

Mr. Man
07-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Some azz hat traps your CC # or hacks it from a database...... Yes it's unfortunate that the buyers of this information sometimes utilize their "purchase" or fraudulently obtained information in Georgia.

My guess is there is not a state in this country, or a nation on earth that does not have to combat this crime. Its a 24/7 365 thing........ Again posting this right around the corner from an event such as Marauderville, smacks of BS controversy that we do not need as registration nears. There is no place for this here..... We are all experienced with credit/debit cards. This is not a new phenomenon....

To me this kind of crap is more damaging to MM.net than any Boost Gets You **** innuendo or pictures of provocative woman...They made their choice to pose, you made your choice to view..... There are many forms of subversion, imho this crap is the worst.......
Man your panties are way to tight. I had a card that I don't use show fraudulent activity on it and the only thing I've used it for in months was the MV hotel. Like I said might be a huge coincidence and whoever stole my # might have gotten it from a drug cartel in Mexico for all I know that's why I said in the OP COINCIDENCE. And excuse me for warning people to double check their statements on the off chance there is an issue. The fraud charges in my instance were also like Marys in Georgia in my case Atlanta.

So because I don't want anyone else who may only glance over their bill statements to get the shaft I'm criticised. Sorry for posting a warning.

Our involvement with MV 11 is now over. Hotel cancelled, trip off. We will go somewhere else and spend our vacation dollars.

Bigdogjim
07-10-2013, 09:36 PM
WOW! This site is full of hot heads all of a sudden?

MM03MOK
07-10-2013, 09:52 PM
The essence of this thread was to be aware and vigilant of your credit card. Unfortunately it seems to be happening more frequently, foreign or domestic. There is no need to draw a conclusion that there is an adverse impact to MV11 because of this discussion. To draw this discussion into the prior upheaval is uncalled for.

Most credit card companies can sense when something's wrong. Make sure they know how to get a hold of you immediately. My CitiBank texts me and asks if I've just made a purchase that appears to be out of character. Text 1 if I have made the purchase; text 2 if I haven't. If I text 2, the next message says there is a problem and gives me a number to call.

I am closing this thread so it doesn't get further derailed.