PDA

View Full Version : End link bushings... lube?

Fourth Horseman
03-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Started hearing some squeeking from the rear end of my car when I'd get in and out, and sometimes when I'd go through deep gutters on an angle. Now, you'd probably squeek too if you had my fat arse sitting on you, but it never did this before I installed the Addco sway bar. So I thought I must not have put enough lubricant on the two big bushings where the bar clamps to the axle. So I took the bar off and really greased it up good. Haven't had much chance to test it yet, but my question is: should I put any lubricant on the tiny bushings of the end links? Right now mine are completely dry, which is how I thought they should be. Just thought I'd ask and see what the rest of you did with yours. Thx.

cyclone03
03-20-2004, 07:08 PM
I've never greesed the end links,but it's your car......

It won't hurt anything.

Like you I greased the heck out of the axle clamps,they do squeak....

purelux
03-20-2004, 09:24 PM
I used some of my mobil1 syn grease on the ens rear endlinks when I installed them no squeaks so far and they've been on at least 7-8 months.

Fourth Horseman
03-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Well, I made sure that the main clamp bushings were well lubed and I'm still getting noise. I think I'm going to attack the end links with some WD40. I know that won't last, but if the noise goes away it'll at least tell me where I need to lube properly.

sailsmen
03-22-2004, 09:52 AM
3 Areas to check for squeaks are;
front hood foward rubber round adjustable stops near the head lites

front hood latch mechanism

rear side lower bumper cover near bottom of rear fender well.

Fourth Horseman
03-22-2004, 09:59 AM
3 Areas to check for squeaks are;
front hood foward rubber round adjustable stops near the head lites

front hood latch mechanism

rear side lower bumper cover near bottom of rear fender well.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the rear of the vehicle, so I don't think it's hood stops or latch, though I will check those just to be safe. The hood was off for my accident repairs, so it's a possibility.

The rear side lower bumper cover, though... hmmm... I noticed that the plastic bumper cover that wraps around to the back of the wheel well was a little loose when I washed it this weekend. How does that tighten down?

LNYTUNS
03-22-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm pretty sure it's coming from the rear of the vehicle, so I don't think it's hood stops or latch, though I will check those just to be safe. The hood was off for my accident repairs, so it's a possibility.

The rear side lower bumper cover, though... hmmm... I noticed that the plastic bumper cover that wraps around to the back of the wheel well was a little loose when I washed it this weekend. How does that tighten down?
There are only plastic clips that hold it loosely in place, no real way to tighten them. When I installed my splash guards I added a large pan head screw directly next to the plastic clip up into the metal bracket that the plastic clip is attached to. The bumper cover does not move at all now, nice and tight.

purelux
03-25-2004, 05:52 PM
the wd isn't good for plastics/rubber parts if you are actually using wd40 and not saying that as a generic lubricant refrence.

th
Well, I made sure that the main clamp bushings were well lubed and I'm still getting noise. I think I'm going to attack the end links with some WD40. I know that won't last, but if the noise goes away it'll at least tell me where I need to lube properly.

Fourth Horseman
03-25-2004, 10:53 PM
the wd isn't good for plastics/rubber parts if you are actually using wd40 and not saying that as a generic lubricant refrence.
th

Yeah, I know it sucks for stuff like this, but in my experience it'll usually quiet a squeek down for a day or two, which is all I wanted, just as a diagnostic tool.

In any event, the noise persists. I'm going to pull the bar this weekend and see if the squeek goes away. If it does then I know it's one of the bushings on the bar assembly. If not... well, then I get to hunt some more.

Ultimately, I think I'm going to try some high quality synthetic grease on all the bushings. I just can't stand having a car squeek its way through gutters and the like. Such a sharp looking and running car only to have the whole thing spoiled by an annoying glitch like that. I'll find it and fix it. Just need to work out where it's coming from.