PDA

View Full Version : Different FM Radio Problem??

Fman
07-19-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm on my 2nd OEM radio (1st replaced under warranty) and had the same problem with the 1st one as a lot of people have complained about...static on the FM and CD works.

Now I have a slightly different problem. The FM radio will work for a few minutes, then nothing but silence (CD and AM are fine); no static at all. If I let the car sit for a few hours, the FM works again for a few minutes as if nothing was wrong, then suddenly stops a few minutes later. It seems the longer I let it sit, the longer it plays the next time, but I'm just talking minutes only.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this being anything other than the head unit? I'm looking at the Escape 6CD unit, but would hate to do that if it was a problem with another component - a co-worker suggested the amp??

fastblackmerc
07-19-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm on my 2nd OEM radio (1st replaced under warranty) and had the same problem with the 1st one as a lot of people have complained about...static on the FM and CD works.

Now I have a slightly different problem. The FM radio will work for a few minutes, then nothing but silence (CD and AM are fine); no static at all. If I let the car sit for a few hours, the FM works again for a few minutes as if nothing was wrong, then suddenly stops a few minutes later. It seems the longer I let it sit, the longer it plays the next time, but I'm just talking minutes only.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this being anything other than the head unit? I'm looking at the Escape 6CD unit, but would hate to do that if it was a problem with another component - a co-worker suggested the amp??

It is the headunit. There are components in the tuner assembly that stop working when hot. Time to look for a new headunit.

RF Overlord
07-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Common failure. The alleged "audiophile" system Ford built for the Marauder is just like any other factory radio...marginal at best. They get low marks for this one...

kmastl
07-19-2013, 09:06 PM
I have for sale a factory ford escape unit that will fix your FM problem... But the changer has a load error. It is compatible with an iPod interface adapter if thats your thing.

FM tuner failure is a common problem. My current Marauder had a failed FM band.

Here it is if you are interested.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88282

Fman
07-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks, but I still plan on using the changer, plus I want the frd03-aux/s for my S4.

FBM, is it true that I'd have to do some trimming inside the dash to install the Escape unit with the pie connector? Is the material made of plastic that you have to trim? Trying to figure out what kind of cutting tool should be used?

Thanks for the comments.

marauder410
07-19-2013, 10:32 PM
:confused:i have a wrid problem but with my aftermarket poineer headunit ONLY when radio is....static ONLY when i turn foglights on

cd is fine with fogs on but when FM radio and soon as i turn my fogs on gets static instantly can turn on and off on and off weird???

fastblackmerc
07-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Thanks, but I still plan on using the changer, plus I want the frd03-aux/s for my S4.

FBM, is it true that I'd have to do some trimming inside the dash to install the Escape unit with the pie connector? Is the material made of plastic that you have to trim? Trying to figure out what kind of cutting tool should be used?

Thanks for the comments.

No trimming needed to install the Escape unit. The PIE unit will fit behind the EATC.

You only need to modify if you are installing an aftermarket headunit.

fastblackmerc
07-20-2013, 06:03 AM
:confused:i have a wrid problem but with my aftermarket poineer headunit ONLY when radio is....static ONLY when i turn foglights on

cd is fine with fogs on but when FM radio and soon as i turn my fogs on gets static instantly can turn on and off on and off weird???

Sounds like you need a better ground for the headunit.

Fman
07-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks FBM. I'm going to pull the trigger and get the Escape radio and the pie connector. I never thought I'd be able to listen to Pandora in my MM. I was always jealous of my wife and daughters' cars which had the aux input from the factory. Certainly not enough to trade in my Merc though:) I still get comments about this car all the time. On the street, at the car wash, at store parking lots. Everyone loves the look of the MM and I like to surprise them with a taste of the exhaust sound as I roar off. Probably my favorite of all the cars I've ever owned, which is a long list.

fastblackmerc
07-20-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks FBM. I'm going to pull the trigger and get the Escape radio and the pie connector. I never thought I'd be able to listen to Pandora in my MM. I was always jealous of my wife and daughters' cars which had the aux input from the factory. Certainly not enough to trade in my Merc though:) I still get comments about this car all the time. On the street, at the car wash, at store parking lots. Everyone loves the look of the MM and I like to surprise them with a taste of the exhaust sound as I roar off. Probably my favorite of all the cars I've ever owned, which is a long list.

No problem.

Glad I could help out.

Lets keep MM's on the road!

Fman
07-28-2013, 03:24 PM
I got the Escape unit this weekend and installed along with the FRD03-AUX/S PIE adapter. Easily removed the original radio with 4 (6d) nails, plugged in everything and all worked except for the adapter. When I would push the SAT button, it just displayed "No SAT". I took a closer look at the adapter and noticed I could see solder on the ends of two orange wires which were actually loose from the connector. No one is open on the weekend, but I sent an e-mail asking for a replacement from OEM Auto Sounds which sold the PIE unit.

There is not much room behind the radio for the PIE harness, but fastblackmerc said it can be installed without trimming, so that's what I'm hoping for.

Fman
07-30-2013, 08:20 PM
UPDATE - OEM Auto Sounds sent me a totally different model, while advertising the PIE FRD03-AUX/S unit both on their invoice and the pictures on their website. Instead they sent me a TERK XMDFOR100, which from what I can tell is for pairing with an XM unit to convert your SAT ready radio to satellite. Only problem is, that is not what I paid for. The PIE unit is apparently out of stock:(

On another note, my OEM radio mysteriously started working again, so now I have the Escape version, plus my OEM Marauder head unit. I can't find any compatible adapter that uses the AUX or SAT button on the Escape radio, so I think I'm returning the TERK unit and cancelling my CC payment.

I was looking forward to Pandora in the MM.

fastblackmerc
07-31-2013, 01:57 AM
Try googling "FRD03-AUX

Found this
http://www.amazon.com/FRDN-AUX-PIE-Auxiliary-Input-Converter/sim/B000CK6U48/2/ref=pd_sxp_grid_mlt_0_1

BLACKMARAUDER04
07-31-2013, 01:12 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-5521-Radio-Wiring-Harness/dp/B000K50GTA/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Mercury%7C56&Model=Marauder%7C723&Year=2004%7C2004&carId=001&n=1077068&newCar=1&s=car&vehicleType=automotive

How does this connect the IPod?

fastblackmerc
07-31-2013, 04:52 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-5521-Radio-Wiring-Harness/dp/B000K50GTA/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Mercury%7C56&Model=Marauder%7C723&Year=2004%7C2004&carId=001&n=1077068&newCar=1&s=car&vehicleType=automotive

How does this connect the IPod?

RCA connectors to a mini stereo plug? Or RCA to IPod connector.

Fman
07-31-2013, 08:20 PM
FBM, That's actually a different model number, but even that one is sold out if you go a little further. I spent quite a bit of time searching on the web and every link I could find reported either out of stock or discontinued. The PIE web site doesn't show any distributors and there was another post recently where someone was complaining that they couldn't find this PIE unit.

Fman
07-31-2013, 08:26 PM
BlackMarauder04, the link you gave is for a wiring harness for an amp. Look on the pie.net website and you can see what the adapters look like. Just an adapter box with two RCA out and a wiring harness...ours is the 24 & 16 pin. Other models have different setup, but there are also ones specifically for iPod that you might have better luck than looking for the 3.5mm ones. I couldn't find any PIE products in stock for using either the SAT or AUX function.

fastblackmerc
08-01-2013, 02:11 AM
FBM, That's actually a different model number, but even that one is sold out if you go a little further. I spent quite a bit of time searching on the web and every link I could find reported either out of stock or discontinued. The PIE web site doesn't show any distributors and there was another post recently where someone was complaining that they couldn't find this PIE unit.

Ebay has some listed.

TJCOX
08-01-2013, 10:48 AM
I experienced the same problem and while traveling through the state of Georgia, I heard
static on the radio and I've not had a problem since. The contractor for Mercury radio
repairs wanted $319.00 to repair it.
Have you done a Compass Zone Adjustment? Refer to page 52 (see what zone yours is set at) of your owners guide and make sure your vehicle is in the right zone, as this may or may not have anything to do with the
FM stations working. If not, you may have to drive through the Peach State.
My MM originally came from Mo.

Billboard
08-02-2013, 10:33 PM
I gave up on trying to find an Aux adapter for the Escape radio. I am going to try a direct FM modulator.

fastblackmerc
08-03-2013, 08:10 AM
I experienced the same problem and while traveling through the state of Georgia, I heard
static on the radio and I've not had a problem since. The contractor for Mercury radio
repairs wanted $319.00 to repair it.
Have you done a Compass Zone Adjustment? Refer to page 52 (see what zone yours is set at) of your owners guide and make sure your vehicle is in the right zone, as this may or may not have anything to do with the
FM stations working. If not, you may have to drive through the Peach State.
My MM originally came from Mo.

Compass has nothing to do with the radio. FM reception problem is caused by poor quality components. I took the compass out of my MM and the aftermarket headunit works fine.

Fman
08-03-2013, 11:22 AM
I sent the bait & switch aux part that OEM Auto Sounds sent me back to them along with a letter demanding a refund. I also sent an e-mail with the same letter, but haven't heard a peep from them and really don't even expect to. AMEX told me I had to ask them to refund and be denied before they'd get involved, but that's surely going to happen next week.

I had always heard the FM modulator didn't have as good quality. Someone in another thread said that PIE might start making the adapters again in October, but don't know how reliable that information is.