PDA

View Full Version : Auto parts store COPs

Blk04MM
08-10-2013, 08:55 AM
I know many here would say get the granatelli COPs or order from Sparta BUT right now I can't wait. So I'll be using the local auto part store COPs for now then if it fixes my issue I will order one of the two first options.

So my question is what brand COPs to get when going to the auto part store or should I go to ford and see if they have any??

RF Overlord
08-10-2013, 09:04 AM
I know many here would say get the granatelli COPs You're confused, it's the Granatelli COP connectors that are recommended. The Granatelli COPs themselves are overpriced and over-rated.

Results with non-OEM COPs are a very mixed bag. Many on CVN swear by the e-Bay ones or the Accel ones or MSD, while others say they had failures shortly after installation.

I would buy only the absolute minimum number needed to determine if a bad COP is actually your issue, then get the OEM ones from Tommy at Sparta.

Blk04MM
08-10-2013, 09:13 AM
You're confused, it's the Granatelli COP connectors that are recommended. The Granatelli COPs themselves are overpriced and over-rated.

Results with non-OEM COPs are a very mixed bag. Many on CVN swear by the e-Bay ones or the Accel ones or MSD, while others say they had failures shortly after installation.

I would buy only the absolute minimum number needed to determine if a bad COP is actually your issue, then get the OEM ones from Tommy at Sparta.

Should I be looking to but the entire thing boot and oil or just the coil part

RF Overlord
08-10-2013, 09:19 AM
The factory connectors, those coils springs that look like they came out of a Bic pen, are pretty much junk, and the boots do deteriorate over time. I would replace those first, before spending money on COPs. Even if they don't fix the problem, you'll want them to go with the new COPs when (if) you need to purchase them.

Blk04MM
08-10-2013, 09:31 AM
The factory connectors, those coils springs that look like they came out of a Bic pen, are pretty much junk, and the boots do deteriorate over time. I would replace those first, before spending money on COPs. Even if they don't fix the problem, you'll want them to go with the new COPs when (if) you need to purchase them.

The rubber boots are marked ford and are in good shape. I pulled #5 spring out and it was ugly. A bit orange and had some orangeISH residue on it. NOT RUST. Either way they are all coming out in a few mins. I will replace the springs for each spark and see what it does. The connectors may be OEM as well.

Blk04MM
08-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Bought 8 Autolite coil on plug boots(with cool/spring) and all the boots have "ford" logo on them

RF Overlord
08-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Autolite was once a captive entity of Ford, and makes Motorcraft spark plugs, so it makes sense that they would make related OEM parts for them as well.