PDA

View Full Version : Ford Escape "Audiophile" Question

cat in the hat
08-18-2013, 01:13 PM
I just picked up an Escape "Audiophile" head unit, Part # 6L8T-18C815-FD, on Ebay. I got a good price on it, and it looks brand new. It has a 30 day warranty.

I have a couple of issues :

I can't insert a CD. What is the correct procedure ? Maybe I am doing it wrong.

I don't seem to be able to seat it deep enough. I removed the white clip on the back, but it still doesn't seem to go in far enough ?

Mebot
08-18-2013, 01:20 PM
There might be a "load" button to press before you insert a cd. Is it the built in 6 disc unit?

sent from a Samsung Galaxy far far away...

cat in the hat
08-18-2013, 01:36 PM
There might be a "load" button to press before you insert a cd. Is it the built in 6 disc unit?

sent from a Samsung Galaxy far far away...

Yes. When I press "Load," it asks me to select a slot number. I can select numbers 1 - 6 from the Radio Preset buttons, but I can't physically push a CD into the slot, and then eventually it says "Load Error."

For instance, if I press "Load," and then "5," it will either say "Load Error" immediately, or it will say "Moving to 5," sit like that for a minute, and then say "Load Error." I can not insert a CD at any time during this.

Ms. Denmark
08-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Might be why it was on E-bay. Sorry you are having issues with it.

Fman
08-18-2013, 04:23 PM
I have the same one and it gives the "moving to xx", then I just push in the CD and all is good. Sounds like your CD player is the culprit.

ncmm
08-18-2013, 04:42 PM
does sound like the cd player has issues. :(
as for it "seating" it won't go in completely like the original factory one but it gets close. just don't push hard enough to break anything

SC Cheesehead
08-18-2013, 08:13 PM
I have the same one and it gives the "moving to xx", then I just push in the CD and all is good. Sounds like your CD player is the culprit.

Agreed. I had one I bought through LKQ that had the same problems. Told them about it and they sent me another one.

cat in the hat
08-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Agreed. I had one I bought through LKQ that had the same problems. Told them about it and they sent me another one.

Looks like I'll be trying out that 30 day warranty, meh. Thank you all.

Mercurykidd
08-19-2013, 02:43 AM
Thats why I don't buy off Ebay; they have some Great deals to be had, but I stay away from the electronics, especially if it's used equipment. I just picked up a ford Escape Audiophile radio w/6 cd changer at a local LKQ warehouse. I noticed even with the Ford p/n 6L8T-18C815-FD on the ford tag, not all of them say Audiophile on the face plate. I had to open several LKQ boxes to find the right one with Audiophile on it. Also, they gave me a 6 month warranty. As on the prior forums; its a simple plug & play, and it sounds Great:banana:; All I need now is the Ipod adapter, does anyone have the correct part number for that? And if you do use PIE adapter, how do you like it? I was looking at the PIE website, and they list several different ones.

justbob
08-19-2013, 03:59 AM
I have fixed a few now with the same issue. It appears the very top middle directly behind the face can not sustain any handling at all. In fact that piece of metal damn near has to be outward so little it's not even visible to the eye or the mech gets jammed. The last one all I had to so was remove the cover and dent it outward a hair and put it back on.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

cat in the hat
08-19-2013, 08:46 AM
I have fixed a few now with the same issue. It appears the very top middle directly behind the face can not sustain any handling at all. In fact that piece of metal damn near has to be outward so little it's not even visible to the eye or the mech gets jammed. The last one all I had to so was remove the cover and dent it outward a hair and put it back on.

I would try this, but the place I bought it from has a seal taped over the top plate, and it voids the 30-day warranty if I break the seal.

I'm going to contact them and see what they want to do.