PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Control Module: Very Expensive?

MyMM2003
09-07-2013, 07:48 AM
My headlights had not been going on, and I was told
it was the lighting control module.
Cost for the part: $650, plus installation plus about
$150 to program that and the main computer.

Does this sound expensive? Can a LCM for a 2003 Crown Vic
work? Are used parts for a MM LCM a reliable option?

Sincerely,
Not Broke. Yet...

RubberCtyRauder
09-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Member FastBlackMerc here on MM.net can repair the LCM..I believe it has to do with either a relay or some poor quality soldering inside it. The "new" LCM will also be culprit to fail possibly at some point in its' life. And I don't know what the $150 programming stuff is all about...oh yes, now I remember..pure profit to the dealer!

Merrill
09-07-2013, 08:01 AM
There is a cheap fix, contact FastBlackMerc, he has done many fo them.

ctrlraven
09-07-2013, 08:12 AM
I used FastBlackMerc for my LCM repair.

Replacing the unit yourself is actually pretty easy and takes 10-20 mins.

You can send him yours for repair or he has a core exchange program and will send you one he has already fixed and then you send your old broke one and get your core charge refunded. I did the core exchange so I would have less down time waiting for my old one to be shipped back.

FastBlackMerc's LCM repair thread
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65996

IwantmyMMnow!
09-07-2013, 08:20 AM
^^^^+1^^^^ to the responses above.

DO NOT have the dealership replace it....might as well as take your money and flush it down the toilet.

Contact FastBlackMerc....he will get you an upgraded/repaired LCM that will NOT fail for a fraction of the cost of taking it to the dealership. He also offers a lifetime warranty on his work....I haven't seen nor heard of anyone having issues with a FBM-repaired LCM.

He repaired mine in summer of 2011...no issues since then. (see my sig)

Welcome aboard; we've got lots of people on here that can help you out.

SC Cheesehead
09-07-2013, 08:25 AM
What they said. This a common problem and easily repaired. FBM can fix you right up.

fastblackmerc
09-07-2013, 08:40 AM
PM me and I'll reply with the details.

88LTDCV351
09-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Replacing the unit yourself is actually pretty easy and takes 10-20 mins.

It took me a lot longer to finagle it out and back in but even I was able to do it. Its plug and play. No reprogramming? or anything needed.

fastblackmerc
09-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Nope.........

RF Overlord
09-07-2013, 10:45 AM
plus about $150 to program that and the main computer. Does this sound expensive? Actually, it sounds like whoever told you that is either a crook or very badly misinformed. No programming to either the LCM or the PCM is required.

And by all means contact FBM...he'll take care of you like a boss.

Marauderjack
09-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Oddly enough my first one was replaced under warranty for turn signals and the replacement has worked FLAWLESSLY for 9 years and about 200K miles!!:eek:

Any idea why Jim?? Maybe better relays??:confused:

ctrlraven
09-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Oddly enough my first one was replaced under warranty for turn signals and the replacement has worked FLAWLESSLY for 9 years and about 200K miles!!:eek:

It could be a number of things. There are several different part numbers for the LCM, amount of time with headlights on, just parking lamps, parking lamps and fogs, auto lamp use, etc etc.

Mine started acting up the other month ago and replaced it. Morning and evening time I always have my heads/fogs on, during mid day just park/fog. That's been since 12/2005 when I got mine.

RF Overlord
09-07-2013, 12:38 PM
'jack, face it: your car is one of a kind. Don't jinx it... :D

Marauderjack
09-07-2013, 02:34 PM
'jack, face it: Your car is one of a kind. Don't jinx it... :d

ok !!!!!!!!;)

whitey
09-07-2013, 02:47 PM
I just did the fix last night with some soldering skills and $10 for parts. Pretty easy job....a 40 amp relay, and a pigtail connection for it. 4 pin relay is fine, although the stock relay is 5 pin.

Marauderjack
09-08-2013, 03:05 AM
It could be a number of things. There are several different part numbers for the LCM, amount of time with headlights on, just parking lamps, parking lamps and fogs, auto lamp use, etc etc.

Mine started acting up the other month ago and replaced it. Morning and evening time I always have my heads/fogs on, during mid day just park/fog. That's been since 12/2005 when I got mine.

Not sure of what relay operates what but I have always run my parking lights and fog lights during daytime driving.......just me and I like the safety aspect of it considering the idiot drivers around here!!;)

Mercbaby
10-26-2013, 06:16 PM
I fixed my LCM for $5 and about 20 minutes :)

twolftdi
01-06-2014, 02:09 PM
The module gets very hard use in police and emergency vehicles (same for Crown Vic and GM) Mine went bad and I went to Taxi Pro parts. He said all that is done is a 5 amp fuse instead of Ford's 3 amp. Also anything else that is needed is done. $50.00 plus your LCM. If you are in the SE FL area he will help install. Phone is 786-923-6209. He saved me over $600.00. My wife's A/C fans got messed up. For $100.00 he replaced the computer board and took back hers. Saved us $700.00 on that one.
Also put new $70.00 rear air suspension bags in. Only costs $120.00 for both. Less than springs and they work as well as OEM.They have OEM for additional funds.

fastblackmerc
01-06-2014, 02:33 PM
The module gets very hard use in police and emergency vehicles (same for Crown Vic and GM) Mine went bad and I went to Taxi Pro parts. He said all that is done is a 5 amp fuse instead of Ford's 3 amp. Also anything else that is needed is done. $50.00 plus your LCM.

That ^^^^ is not true. The relay inside the LCM goes bad due to the high current needed to operate the headlights. The contacts get burnt, if you tap on te LCM the headlights will come back on. The ONLY fix that will not fail again is to replace the headlight relay inside the LCM with a HEAVY DUTY external relay. I f anyone needs it done PM me. I offer a life time guaranty... that 's the life time of the vehicle.

fastblackmerc
01-06-2014, 02:36 PM

I believe the life of the headlight relay corresponds to the amount of time you use the headlights... longer headlight use = shorter relay life.