PDA

View Full Version : Replacing stock sound system and adding LED lights

cashmonkey38
09-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone - just bought a MM and am looking at what kind of mods I'd like to make. Two things are going to be replacing the stock sound system and also replacing some of the in dash lights/gauge lights with LEDs to brighten them up a little, figured I'd just combine both questions in one thread. I've been poking around on here and google and have found answers to some questions, but if anyone has info on wiring instructions/diagrams and so forth they would be greatly appreciated.

So as far as speakers/head unit/amps go, just wondering what combinations yall have tried and what kind of results you got. In the past I've done out cars where I had to replace the alternator with one with higher output, so also wondering if those of you who have added a whole lot have changed out the alternator or had any issues, right now I'm just planning on replacing door/rear speakers and adding a couple 10"s maybe where the spare tire is and porting the box into the main cabin.

As far as LED lighting goes, I'm looking to keep the green color but probably change out the white bulbs with green LEDs to make everything brighter and greener. Any advice, experience or links anyone has on either subject would be also be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

cashmonkey38
09-10-2013, 01:36 AM
Also just updating the fact that I've answered most of my questions about the LED lighting but if anyone's got pics of your lighting I'd like to see, and also still very interested in people's sound system setups!

ctrlraven
09-10-2013, 05:52 AM
The main gauge cluster (speedo/tach area) uses 194 bulbs. There is a green filter on the gauges so you want to use a white colored bulb which will make the green pop more. The main gauge cluster uses 5 bulbs to illuminate the whole cluster. There is also a green filter on the shifter light bulb so you'll want to use white on that also. The lower gauges have a green filter condom so you can choose whatever color led bulb you want when replacing those.

194 bulb uses
Main gauge cluster (5), lower gauge cluster (2), footwell (2), shifter (1), glovebox (1), front map lights (2), tag light (1)

If you have a 2003 model with a long overhead console then the light towards the center of the roof is the actual Dome light
211 42mm Festoon uses
Dome light (1) and rear map lights (2)

For sound system, I went fairly simple upgrade. Pioneer Avic-X940BT in-dash navi touchscreen unit, MB Quart 5.25" components for front speakers, left the rears stock (since no one rides in my back seat and the Pioneer HU supplies plenty of power to them), Apline 4-channel amp, front channels power the front components and then have the rear channels bridged and set to mono to power a cheap 12" sub in a sealed box. It's a cost effective system that can drown out my exhaust. :lol:

cashmonkey38
09-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Yeah that's more or less what I was thinking for sound, just something simple that would get the job done.

So here's why I was thinking to use colored LEDs, not sure if this is common but on my stuff the green filter is def there but especially on the main cluster there is white light leaking through the green, and since I do like the green I was thinking I could bring it out more with green LEDs where I worry white may just add to the white light leakage. Have you seen any with green LEDs inside? If so does it effect the red 'Marauder' text in main cluster?

Also I've got an 04, is it the same type of lights that are in the rear reading lights?

Your help is greatly appreciated sir.

ctrlraven
09-11-2013, 05:36 AM
Yeah that's more or less what I was thinking for sound, just something simple that would get the job done.

So here's why I was thinking to use colored LEDs, not sure if this is common but on my stuff the green filter is def there but especially on the main cluster there is white light leaking through the green, and since I do like the green I was thinking I could bring it out more with green LEDs where I worry white may just add to the white light leakage. Have you seen any with green LEDs inside? If so does it effect the red 'Marauder' text in main cluster?

Also I've got an 04, is it the same type of lights that are in the rear reading lights?

When the lens is clear and there is a colored filter you want to use a white light. If the lens is colored then you want to use the same color for bulb as the lens is when using LED bulbs.

This is what white LEDs look like on a stock gauge cluster
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/DOOM%20LED/DSCF0195.jpg

The only difference with the 04 will be not having an actual Dome light. The rear reading/map lights use a 211 42mm Festoon. The front reading/map lights use a 921 which has the same base as a 194 bulb so it's just easier to use the 194.

Here is a thread I posted when I did another member's car and upgraded his lights to LEDs. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79958

fastblackmerc
09-11-2013, 07:20 AM

Do you have a picture of the white leaking out? I've never seen it. You can leave the LEDs white that light up MARAUDER. I can supply all the LEDs you need. I don't use festoon bulbs for the rear reading lights.... too expensive.

Limited360
09-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Do you have a picture of the white leaking out? I've never seen it. You can leave the LEDs white that light up MARAUDER. I can supply all the LEDs you need. I don't use festoon bulbs for the rear reading lights.... too expensive.

What bulb do you use for the rears if a festoon is too expensive?

ctrlraven
09-11-2013, 08:04 AM

This is what I personally use in 3 of my vehicles and on DOOM's car also.
http://www.vleds.com/bulb/211-42mm-led/5k-white-led/5k-white-3-chip-8-led-dome-light-bulb-212-211-212-2-214-578.html

$4.99 each

fastblackmerc
09-11-2013, 08:17 AM

Panels........

Ask Guittard22 how they look.

Limited360
09-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Panels........
Ah ok.. I thought that was all you meant.. It is similar to what I use as well then!

:beer:

2,4shofast
09-11-2013, 12:35 PM
I have a ton of photos on my cardomain page, it needs to be updated a bit but you can check it out if you want to see how I did mine. Link is in my signature.:beer:

2,4shofast
09-11-2013, 12:37 PM
This is what I personally use in 3 of my vehicles and on DOOM's car also.
http://www.vleds.com/bulb/211-42mm-led/5k-white-led/5k-white-3-chip-8-led-dome-light-bulb-212-211-212-2-214-578.html

$4.99 each

I used these after your recommendation as well, great product for sure!

justbob
09-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hijack. But is the green filter easily removable? If so, just a red LED to get the red I have been wanting? What about window locks and other switches over to red? Possible?

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

fastblackmerc
09-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Sorry to hijack. But is the green filter easily removable? If so, just a red LED to get the red I have been wanting? What about window locks and other switches over to red? Possible?

"Since 2004"

Can the filters be removed... yes.... easily... no. The window switches can also be changed but just like most things...... how much you willing to spend?

larryo340
09-11-2013, 05:49 PM

"Since 2004"
You can change the other LEDs to read it's a little bit involved deals with very small LEDs. There is a member over at CVN.net that has write-ups with pictures on swapping out the LEDs.

justbob
09-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Can the filters be removed... yes.... easily... no. The window switches can also be changed but just like most things...... how much you willing to spend?

Thanks Jim. Now that I have easily re-bought my car, I'd say the money factor has turned into a family joke. If I'm not buying parts, she is because somebody has to order parts! Total sickness I swear.

"Since 2004"

justbob
09-11-2013, 06:11 PM
You can change the other LEDs to read it's a little bit involved deals with very small LEDs. There is a member over at CVN.net that has write-ups with pictures on swapping out the LEDs.

Thanks.

"Since 2004"

Invader
09-11-2013, 06:40 PM
I would go Alpine for the head unit. The new Pioneers are crap. Just my.02....

fastblackmerc
09-11-2013, 07:21 PM
I would go Alpine for the head unit. The new Pioneers are crap. Just my.02....

My X940BT is great!

Geewez
09-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Speaking of dash bulbs, is it normal that the dash lights on the Marauder are very dim? I have the brightness adjusting wheel turned all the way to max brightness and still the instruments don't seem as bright as it should. If dim lights are the norm for the MM then maybe I should replace all the #194 bulbs with LEDs?

fastblackmerc
09-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Speaking of dash bulbs, is it normal that the dash lights on the Marauder are very dim? I have the brightness adjusting wheel turned all the way to max brightness and still the instruments don't seem as bright as it should. If dim lights are the norm for the MM then maybe I should replace all the #194 bulbs with LEDs?

As incandescent bulbs get old, they put out less light.

Incandescent bulbs = 85% of the energy used generates heat

LED bulbs = 85% of energy used generates light

Invader
09-11-2013, 07:28 PM
My X940BT is great!

I sold mine for $400.00 and bought Alpine INE-Z928HD all that I can say is "Awesome!"

cashmonkey38
09-11-2013, 09:41 PM

That's the issue I'm having, pretty hard to see and would simply look a lot cooler if it was brighter.

Also Jim I looked again and I guess the white isn't leaking through the gauges, just some on odo and I can also see white light coming from the top of the steering wheel column, just the main cluster lights shining through. All the main dash lights are pretty dim and I guess it seemed like maybe white was coming through.

And also thank yall for all of the advice/pictures and links, all very helpful and what I needed :cool4:

fastblackmerc
09-12-2013, 01:38 AM
That's the issue I'm having, pretty hard to see and would simply look a lot cooler if it was brighter.

Also Jim I looked again and I guess the white isn't leaking through the gauges, just some on odo and I can also see white light coming from the top of the steering wheel column, just the main cluster lights shining through. All the main dash lights are pretty dim and I guess it seemed like maybe white was coming through.

And also thank yall for all of the advice/pictures and links, all very helpful and what I needed :cool4:

There is supposed to be a black rubber flap the goes between the top of the steering column and the instrument cluster.

ctrlraven
09-12-2013, 05:39 AM
This is what a gauge cluster will look like with the green filter removed off the back of the gauge faces.
Used 5K 5LED 194 bulbs.

https://sphotos-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/228146_1520198543452_6875161_n .jpg

I recently switched back to a regular gauge cluster but swapped the leds over.

fastblackmerc
09-12-2013, 12:12 PM
This is what a gauge cluster will look like with the green filter removed off the back of the gauge faces.
Used 5K 5LED 194 bulbs.

https://sphotos-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/228146_1520198543452_6875161_n .jpg

IMHO.... that looks horrible. No wonder you switched back. Wonder how it would look with red or blue LEDs?

ctrlraven
09-12-2013, 01:06 PM
IMHO.... that looks horrible. No wonder you switched back. Wonder how it would look with red or blue LEDs?
Actually I only switched to another gauge cluster because I was trying to track down a tach and mph difference reading issue but figured it was not the cluster that was off, it is something else. It's annoying to take everything apart again just to swap gauges so I'm leaving the bright green in for now.

The clear white actually looks like a lot better in person. The picture I posted was of when I was finished getting rid of the green and just tested to see if I had done so. I never bothered taking a new updated pic after adding a few more leds to it.

I liked the way "mercury ed" changed his to white so I decided to do it as well
V5g7wG8YPf4
Jzjfx-LyEWE

IwantmyMMnow!
09-12-2013, 03:56 PM

Yeah, I wonder how it would look with blue LEDs.....:rolleyes:

cashmonkey38
09-12-2013, 08:07 PM
There is supposed to be a black rubber flap the goes between the top of the steering column and the instrument cluster.

Yeah looks like I'm missing that, any ideas on where to grab a new one?

Also on a different note is it possible to replace the lights in the steering wheel that light up the controls?

Invader
09-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Used 5K 5LED 194 bulbs.

When doing that mod you have to add a white filter to the back of the gauges! Ask me how I know. :P

fastblackmerc
09-13-2013, 12:11 PM
When doing that mod you have to add a white filter to the back of the gauges! Ask me how I know. :P

How do you know???? :confused:

ctrlraven
09-13-2013, 01:05 PM

You can add a white filter if you want (as such http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/201_1618_1620/products_id/125344/n/Tamiya-PS-1-White-Lexan-Spray-Paint-3oz?utm_source=Google-Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product-Feeds&source=google_ext&gclid=CPCTxqOVybkCFRDxOgodHmEA Sw) OR just remove all the green, use a 5K or 6K SMD led bulb while the clear frosted plastic on the gauge face to produce your white.

I did add 3M white reflective tape inside the gauge cluster to help directly the light around to certain areas.

Invader
09-13-2013, 01:14 PM

I'm in the middle of that mod right now. You need something to catch the light and move it evenly across the gauge. I used a stage and lighting filter. Works Awesome!

Invader
09-13-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm in the middle of that mod right now. You need something to catch the light and move it evenly across the gauge. I used a stage and lighting filter. Works Awesome!

And then paint the inside of the mask white with a plastic paint.

Invader
09-13-2013, 11:48 PM
My mod is a little different though. I'm matching the main cluster to the Phantom II gauges I've installed in the stock pod. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/14/ugaba7as.jpg I'm still not a 100% done yet but when I started this mod I only had Ed's YouTube video to go by. So needless to say I had to do this twice. Best of luck!

Invader
09-16-2013, 01:49 AM
Oh, here is what my main gauge faces will look like! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/sysery9a.jpg