PDA

View Full Version : AC not blowing out of main vents

BillFromSC
09-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Hi everybody,

New owner here. I just posted in the "new member" section. Glad I found you folks.

Anyway, I just bought an 03. I've ordered a shop manual and wiring diagram but don't have them yet. I was hoping someone might give me a head start. So here's the problem:

The AC blows ice cold but it only comes out of the defrost and floor vents, not the main vents. If you press the button to have it blow out the main vents the compressor shuts off. Any ideas?

One other thing while I'm here: The overhead clock/compass does not work at all. The guy I bought the car from is the second owner and he bought it with 10K on it 9 years ago. He said that it has never worked.

Any help on either of these issues would be appreciated. Like all the cars I've owned I plan on going through this thing and getting it right, so hopefully I might even be able to help other forum members out (in the future). :burnout:

Thanks,
Bill
Charleston, SC

WPG_Merc
09-10-2013, 06:03 PM
I have the same prob too & have to fix it after MV11 also someone had a write up on it.
Here is the link. :)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80673
:)

WPG_Merc
09-10-2013, 06:09 PM
There's a center button on the over head counsel that can turn it off or on or it could be a blown fuse.

:welcome1:

:canada:

RF Overlord
09-10-2013, 06:13 PM
The AC blows ice cold but it only comes out of the defrost and floor vents, not the main vents. If you press the button to have it blow out the main vents the compressor shuts off. Any ideas?Hi, Bill...and welcome to the collective.

There are many common problems, some big but not expensive and some seemly minor that turn out to be major. In your case, problems with the EATC are usually minor and not expensive. Unfortunately your issue is a different twist. I don't think we've ever had one that would actually turn the compressor off when Vent is selected. The majority of problems with the EATC are bad o-rings in the vacuum solenoids...I think there's a sticky about it in the Shop Talk forum.

*EDIT* I see WPG_Merc already posted the link while I was writing this.

The overhead clock/compass does not work at all. The guy I bought the car from is the second owner and he bought it with 10K on it 9 years ago. He said that it has never worked.I do remember a thread about this and it involved some minor soldering of a small board in the overhead console...noodle about and you should be able to find it.

larryo340
09-10-2013, 06:22 PM
The AC blows ice cold but it only comes out of the defrost and floor vents, not the main vents. If you press the button to have it blow out the main vents the compressor shuts off. Any ideas?

If the button you're pressing is the "vent" button then yes the compressor will shut off. The vent button is the only button you can press to bring in outside air...the compressor will turn on with every other button.

lji372
09-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Welcome to the modness :banana2::banana2::banana2:

BillFromSC
09-10-2013, 07:02 PM
All I can say is "wow". There sure are a lot of helpful people here. I only posted my problems a few minutes ago and I already have more than enough to get rolling. There seems to be enough collective knowledge on this forum that I doubt anyone could bring up an issue that can't be answered. I'll report back on what I found out, and thanks again to everyone. -Bill

marauder mama
09-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Bad o-rings in the EATC are a common problem.
Fortunately it's an easy fix, took me about 90 minutes while watching TV.

IwantmyMMnow!
09-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Come to MV 11 in Atlanta in 9 days and you can get both of these issues fixed for nothing or next to it (insert annoying, yet appropriate $8 comment here)...that's how we roll here!

Welcome aboard and hope to see you when the Carolina Marauders get together....please take a gander at my Blue Ridge Parkway run (BRP) thread in the Carolina Marauders forum....if you're not doing anything the weekend of the 19th of October, come on up!

Ozark Marauder
09-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Mine is doing this intermittently, going to take it out and send it to FastBlackMerc, when I can find the time to yank it out. Same thing with my compass, usually a resistor that has come loose and needs re soldering. FastBlackMerc fixes these to I believe, too.

OZ

Raleigh Marauder
09-11-2013, 07:55 AM
FastblackMerc can definitely fix the overhead display. He fixed mine a few months ago. Send him a PM.

fastblackmerc
09-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Mine is doing this intermittently, going to take it out and send it to FastBlackMerc, when I can find the time to yank it out. Same thing with my compass, usually a resistor that has come loose and needs re soldering. FastBlackMerc fixes these to I believe, too.

OZ

FastblackMe
rc can definitely fix the overhead display. He fixed mine a few months ago. Send him a PM.

I can fix both your problems. I also can fix your LCM when the headlights start flashing ln and off. I guarranty all my work for as long as the car is on the road.

PM me for the details.

fastblackmerc
09-11-2013, 08:27 AM
There's a center button on the over head counsel that can turn it off or on or it could be a blown fuse.

:welcome1:

:canada:

There is no fuse specifically for the compass.

NavySeabee
09-11-2013, 09:20 AM
All I can say is "wow". There sure are a lot of helpful people here. I only posted my problems a few minutes ago and I already have more than enough to get rolling. There seems to be enough collective knowledge on this forum that I doubt anyone could bring up an issue that can't be answered. I'll report back on what I found out, and thanks again to everyone. -Bill

If you need o-rings, pm me your address and I'll send you a few. I fixed mine and have about 80 o-rings left.

Richy04
09-11-2013, 11:26 AM
what kills them is the ethanol they put in the gas, when you take them out they are hard as a rock from the small amount of vapors that can make it past the vacuum system into the EATC. I used slightly fatter ones for a better seal with no problems.

fireandice9008
09-11-2013, 11:52 AM
If you need o-rings, pm me your address and I'll send you a few. I fixed mine and have about 80 o-rings left.

Beat me to it, i've got a ton left too! To the OP: if you do make it to the BRP run i'd be more than happy to re-ring it for you.

fastblackmerc
09-11-2013, 02:09 PM
what kills them is the ethanol they put in the gas, when you take them out they are hard as a rock from the small amount of vapors that can make it past the vacuum system into the EATC. I used slightly fatter ones for a better seal with no problems.

I doubt that...... You are correct they are hard, I usually have to break at least two to get them off, but if you look closely, all 4 are square, not round.

I've repaired over 100 of them.

They originals are cheap rubber. To do it right you need to replace them with silicone o-rings. If you don't you'll be doing the job again.

BillFromSC
09-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I have the same prob too & have to fix it after MV11 also someone had a write up on it.
Here is the link. :)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80673
:)

That was a good article. Thanks for the link.

Bill
2003 Black

BillFromSC
09-11-2013, 07:23 PM

NavySeabee, Thanks, I'll take you up on that. We've got a couple of things in common. I was in the Navy too, from 75 to 96. Also, I'm originally from RI although I live in SC now. I noticed that you are from Newport. I will PM you with my address just as soon as I figure out how to do that! :)

Bill

BillFromSC
09-11-2013, 07:29 PM
I can fix both your problems. I also can fix your LCM when the headlights start flashing ln and off. I guarranty all my work for as long as the car is on the road.

PM me for the details.

Fastblackmerc, Thanks for the offer. I kind of like to fix my own stuff, that is if I feel my abilities are up to it. Not saying this is the case but I have to pull both units anyway, so I'll take a look, and if I'm not comfortable with my ability to do either one, I'll look you up. I can tell from the posts here that you've got a good reputation, so I'm sure we'll do some business in the future!

Thanks,
Bill

BillFromSC
09-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Beat me to it, i've got a ton left too! To the OP: if you do make it to the BRP run i'd be more than happy to re-ring it for you.

Fireandice, I'm going to try and make the BRP meet. I'll go over to the Carolina Forum in a bit and introduce myself. I think I'm free that weekend, and it would be a good time to give the Marauder a nice highway run. I've got about a million questions, so I'd love to meet up with other owners.

Bill