PDA

View Full Version : Volts Gauge Light

champ1173
09-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Has anyone ever had to change the bulb? Do I have to remove the whole cluster? I don't have to remove the console to remove the cluster, do I? Can anyone help me with some advice

I'm new to the site, and a new Marauder owner. (5 days) The light was working when I bought it! Another curious question; How do I find my build #?

88LTDCV351
09-18-2013, 05:16 PM
You have to remove the gauge pod by pulling down or forward on it. Works best if you put the car out of park so the shifter is out of the way. Be gentle as there are discontinued clips in there that are easily broken. Others will let you know if I forgot any steps.

champ1173
09-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Seems pretty easy. I assume its just a regular instrument cluster bulb, and not one of those LED ones like in the Drivers Control Panel. Is the bulb easy to get to? I mean, do I have to pull the whole thing off to get to the bulb, or take the gauge out of the cluster to get to it?

whitey
09-18-2013, 06:24 PM
bulb is easy to get to, i bought a pack of 2 bulbs, change them both out while your there

RubberCtyRauder
09-18-2013, 06:46 PM
In case you we're not aware, the volts gauge and oil pressure gauge are dummy gauges or glorified dash warning lights. They do not fluctuate like real gauges would. Alot of owners switch them out with real ones, sending unit etc.

champ1173
09-18-2013, 06:59 PM
In case you we're not aware, the volts gauge and oil pressure gauge are dummy gauges or glorified dash warning lights. They do not fluctuate like real gauges would. Alot of owners switch them out with real ones, sending unit etc.

That's interesting to know, but are you sure the needles don't fluctuate? I've watched mine move! Unless someone already switched them out. In the owners manual it says to watch if the volts gauge indicates less than 13.0 volts or more than 15.0. And the oil says to add oil if the needle goes under 50-75psi.. Minimum low is 6psi.. I actually haven't watched the needle for the oil yet, but like I said, I've seen the volts fluctuate. So wouldn't what the owners manual say to watch, mean, they work? I'm not trying to be rude. I'm new to Marauders like I said, but that doesn't make any sense why they'd put them in there if they didn't work.

bigmerc'03
09-18-2013, 07:14 PM
oil pressure gauge is not a real working gauge look up real working oil pressure gauge on you tube to see what a working one looks like and how its supposed to work

bigmerc'03
09-18-2013, 07:19 PM
and get a mechanical gauge ...not an electrical one like the factory one
heres a video to help
http://youtu.be/_-THEH1oIl0

fastblackmerc
09-18-2013, 07:20 PM
That's interesting to know, but are you sure the needles don't fluctuate? I've watched mine move! Unless someone already switched them out. In the owners manual it says to watch if the volts gauge indicates less than 13.0 volts or more than 15.0. And the oil says to add oil if the needle goes under 50-75psi.. Minimum low is 6psi.. I actually haven't watched the needle for the oil yet, but like I said, I've seen the volts fluctuate. So wouldn't what the owners manual say to watch, mean, they work? I'm not trying to be rude. I'm new to Marauders like I said, but that doesn't make any sense why they'd put them in there if they didn't work.

The voltmeter will move. Unless the oil pressure gauge has been replaced it won't move as the engine RPM's increase or decrease.

Most manufacturers stopped putting real oil pressure gauges in cars a long time ago. Most car owners thought there was a problem if they saw the gauge moving, so to cut down on complaints they but a gauge and sending unit in that will read "good" oil pressure regardless of the amount of oil in the engine.

When you take the center pod out look at the top of the gauges, I bet there is a brown mark from the heat of the incandescent bulbs. The best thing to do is to replace the bulbs with LEDs. I offer green or white replacement LEDs.

champ1173
09-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Well at least I'm not crazy about seeing the needle move. I guess I do learn something new everyday.:) I've had aftermarket oil gauges before, but I've never had a factory one, posing as one.
Thanks for all the info.