PDA

View Full Version : Interior Lights and Auto lamps

Logizyme
09-29-2013, 08:33 PM
So I've had my Marauder for a couple months now, Loving it by the way. I have a couple issues that have arrised.

A bit of background for me, I have owned a 2003 CVPI for nearly three years now, and I'm a repair technician at a Ford Dealer, Although I'm a repair tech and can handle these issues on my own, I know to ask the guys that have been around a while first, which can often save me allot of time.

First issue is autolamps, I CANT STANT AUTOLAMPS, one reason I love the CVPI, I have complete control of when my lights are on, and when their off. I didnt think it would be an issue on the marauder since I can simple never turn the switch to autolamps and just use the off, parking and headlights just like the CVPI. Problem is, even with the headlight switch in the off position, the lights will come on automatically if its dark out when I'm driving, which here in seattle where its cloudy and rainy 90% of the time means my lights are on all the time.

so first off, are the autolamps suppose to come on even when the switch is off? if they are suppose to what can I do to stop that? If they arent suppost to, whats my most likely problem, switch? LCM?

Second issue, well, I'm not sure if it is an issue or if I'm just seeing things. I (think) its happened twise, both while driving on the freeway at night, I'm cruising along, lights on, interior lit up, and decided to punch it, as I hit the gas and take off, the interior lights go out for a second and one of the times I think I heard a click sound like a relay clicking. the interior lights come back on so fast I'm not sure if it really happened. I have not been able to duplicate it, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and what it's cause is.

oh and P.S. I also hate when the doors lock when I put the car in drive, but that was the only programmable option I had with the Ford scan tool so that's off, I just wish their were more preferance options...

IwantmyMMnow!
09-30-2013, 05:17 AM
With the headlight switch in the off position, the headlamps will come on after a time delay (10-15 seconds) when the windshield wipers are turned on and will shut off after a time delay (15-20 seconds) when the wipers are turned completely off.

I've never noticed my interior lights blinking out when going WOT, but then agaiin, I don't have my interior lights on when driving.

Even though the doors lock when put in D, the driver and front passenger can still get out by simply opening the door; the rear passengers cannot, so you'll have to hit the unlock button. Personally, I like this since my kids ride in the back and it gives me that extra second or two needed to tell them be careful opening the door when needed.

EMAS
09-30-2013, 09:51 AM
As mentioned these cars have the lights with wipers function. So if they have been coming on when it is raining then that is your answer. If it really annoys you then you can cut the wire between the wiper switch and the LCM.

As far as the lights blinking off when at WOT are you sure they are going off and not just dimming? These cars shut off the alternator at WOT to maximize the power that can be put to the wheels so you can notice the lights dim as the voltage to them drops.

IwantmyMMnow!
09-30-2013, 12:23 PM
My bad...I was thinking of dome/map lights not instrument cluster lights...

That's what happens when I try to think so early in the morning...:rolleyes:

Logizyme
10-02-2013, 06:05 PM
The interior lights might be dimming, but it would have to be one hell of a voltage drop to do it because if they are dimming its so dim its close to off, or they might actually be going off. like I said it happens so fast it just catches my eye then its gone.

that must be it on the headlights, damn that pisses me off, I would really prefer not to cut any factory wires, and I dont need my headlights on anytime its raining, which is always here...

Mr. Man
10-02-2013, 07:13 PM
With the headlight switch in the off position, the headlamps will come on after a time delay (10-15 seconds) when the windshield wipers are turned on and will shut off after a time delay (15-20 seconds) when the wipers are turned completely off.

Never knew this. I'll have to check this out. I always manually put the wipers on when it starts to rain.

EMAS
10-02-2013, 11:38 PM
The interior lights might be dimming, but it would have to be one hell of a voltage drop to do it because if they are dimming its so dim its close to off, or they might actually be going off. like I said it happens so fast it just catches my eye then its gone.

that must be it on the headlights, damn that pisses me off, I would really prefer not to cut any factory wires, and I dont need my headlights on anytime its raining, which is always here...

You don't have to cut the wire just remove that terminal from the connector at the wiper switch. I'd cover it with some electrical tape or a bit of heat shrink to be on the safe side. According to the diagram I have the wire is in position #2 and is Black with a Pink tracer at the switch.

As an aside there are a number of states (15 or 17 depending on how you interpret the wording) where you must turn on your headlights if you are using your wipers as required by weather. In other words if you are using them after squirting some fluid to clean the windshield you don't need to turn on the head lights. Hence the reason Ford put in the delay to turn them on. It is interesting that Ford did it on some cars such as the Marauder and my 01 GM but it isn't on my 03 Mountaineer. My wife's 2010 Fusion has the lights with wipers function.

Logizyme
10-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Remove the terminal at the wiper switch you say? I was thinking about getting a terminal wire removal kit soon anyway, and I was also thinking about swapping to the 4-bulb amber turn signal rear lens which would require I remove the Brake light switch before it reaches the multifuntion switch as well.

I will consider it, I'm not too fond of any kind of wiring modification in the marauder, Maybe I'll do it or maybe I'll just live with it...

EMAS
10-04-2013, 11:36 PM
I don't like cutting wires but removing a terminal from the connector, if you do it right, can always be put back together. On some of my other cars I've taken the circuits I've wanted to modify out of the factory connector and put them in another connector to interface them with my add-ons/modifications.

For the tool Lisle makes a decent one for Ford connectors 57780 and it is pretty reasonably priced.

ajcook
11-17-2013, 08:11 PM
on your 2nd issue, my 04 suffers the same afflication. i've read in other forums that it could be from a COP going bad; the eletromagnetic interference from the (misfired)voltage spike drives some relays crazy.

ChiTownMaraud3r
11-17-2013, 09:03 PM
My 03 grand marquis does the headlights thing when using the wipers. My 04 Marauder however does not. You can drive the car with wipers on and headlamps off somehow.

Mac-MerC
11-17-2013, 09:40 PM
My 03 grand marquis does the headlights thing when using the wipers. My 04 Marauder however does not. You can drive the car with wipers on and headlamps off somehow.

I have an 03' Marauder and my head lights don't come on when I have the wipers on... Must just be certain cars. Guess I got lucky