PDA

View Full Version : Installing steering wheel control adapter with aftermarket headunit

cashmonkey38
10-01-2013, 11:52 PM
So I'm starting to switch out my stereo components and am putting in a new head unit now. I got a PAC SWRI-RC as a steering wheel control adapter. The instructions online say to add one of the adapter's wires into a slot on the harness, which I do not have the tools to do nor do I know what size pin I need or even what the f the name of the pin is, nor am I having any luck finding answers online. Maybe I'm over thinking this. Anyway couldn't I just splice into the necessary wire on the female harness to bypass adding a wire to the male harness? If so would anyone know which wire to splice to? Not having a great deal of luck finding a definitive chart of the stereo wiring harness layout either. If anyone can tell me what they did I would be deeply grateful. :bows:

Limited360
10-02-2013, 04:09 AM
Not sure on that unit... I have installed this unit twice with no issues whatsoever and it was very straigh forward!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039H2W66/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie= UTF8&psc=1

Wish I could help out more, I know someone on here has the info you need!

fastblackmerc
10-02-2013, 04:47 AM
So I'm starting to switch out my stereo components and am putting in a new head unit now. I got a PAC SWRI-RC as a steering wheel control adapter. The instructions online say to add one of the adapter's wires into a slot on the harness, which I do not have the tools to do nor do I know what size pin I need or even what the f the name of the pin is, nor am I having any luck finding answers online. Maybe I'm over thinking this. Anyway couldn't I just splice into the necessary wire on the female harness to bypass adding a wire to the male harness? If so would anyone know which wire to splice to? Not having a great deal of luck finding a definitive chart of the stereo wiring harness layout either. If anyone can tell me what they did I would be deeply grateful. :bows:

What headunit are you installing?

cashmonkey38
10-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Ah ok yeah I've already got all this stuff, I'll try to make it work if I can, but if not good to know.

What headunit are you installing?

It's a JVC Arsenal KD-A845BT

cashmonkey38
10-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Oh also here's the link for the install instructions it's giving me, perhaps I'm missing something.
http://pac-audio.com/swi/SWIAppGuide.aspx?appguideid=18 9&swiModel=Marauder&swiYear=2004&swiMake=Mercury&swiProduct=SWI-RC&swiRadioManu=JVC&swiOptions=

fastblackmerc
10-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Oh also here's the link for the install instructions it's giving me, perhaps I'm missing something.
http://pac-audio.com/swi/SWIAppGuide.aspx?appguideid=18 9&swiModel=Marauder&swiYear=2004&swiMake=Mercury&swiProduct=SWI-RC&swiRadioManu=JVC&swiOptions=

The instructions are pretty good.

Connect the SWI-RC's White wire to Pin 18 (Lt. Blue/Red) of the factory connector. You can splice it in or since I do all my stereo installs using aftermarket connectors (Scosche power, speaker connector: FD23B) I just connect it to the corresponding wire in the female end.

Black wire: Connect the SWI-RC's black wire to chassis ground. This is usually a black wire on the aftermarket wire kit. You can splice it in or since I do all my stereo installs using aftermarket connectors (Scosche power, speaker connector: FD23B) I just connect it to the corresponding wire in the female end.

Red wire: Connect the SWI-RC's red wire to a switched +12volt wire. This is usually a red wire on the aftermarket wire kit. You can splice it in or since I do all my stereo installs using aftermarket connectors (Scosche power, speaker connector: FD23B) I just connect it to the corresponding wire in the female end.

You only need to connect 3 wires white, black and red from the SWI-RC and the mini stereo plug. Don't cut or connect any other wires from the SWI-RC unit.

cashmonkey38
10-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah it's simple enough the problem is that I don't know how to add a pin into slot 18.
"The vehicle's factory harness connector is viewed from the pin side not wire side." So it's saying to add a wire into slot 18 on the harness I just got (male side with pins), which at the moment does not have a wire it in and does not have a pin sticking out of it, so in order to do this I would have to buy a pin somewhere to add onto the wire to fit into that slot on the harness. What I'm saying is rather than me trying to figure out how to do all that couldn't I just splice into the wire coming out of the 18 slot on the female side and this would be the same thing? I haven't done this before so just trying to be sure I don't screw the pooch :confused:

edit: I just reread your post and it sounds like this is what you just said to do :lol: Correct?