PDA

View Full Version : Grounding to frame in the trunk

cashmonkey38
10-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Another question! I've got a couple amps, one of which is high output that I need to ground to the frame somewhere in the trunk, pretty sure I'm going to mount it on the right side of the trunk, flat on top of the little hump on that side, I'll attach a picture. One thing is that I need to ground this to frame - I know the gas tank is back there but not sure what all area it covers so was wondering if someone could help me out with the closest place I could drill into to get there. Also, could I drill down into the metal of this area to mount the amp to the sheet metal, or is the gas tank right below that area as well? Thanks in advance! Haven't had much luck searching

fastblackmerc
10-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Another question! I've got a couple amps, one of which is high output that I need to ground to the frame somewhere in the trunk, pretty sure I'm going to mount it on the right side of the trunk, flat on top of the little hump on that side, I'll attach a picture. One thing is that I need to ground this to frame - I know the gas tank is back there but not sure what all area it covers so was wondering if someone could help me out with the closest place I could drill into to get there. Also, could I drill down into the metal of this area to mount the amp to the sheet metal, or is the gas tank right below that area as well? Thanks in advance! Haven't had much luck searching

Ground it to the trunk hinge (vertical) support. Clean off all the paint around the hole. Just like the fuel cutoff switch on the other side.

RF Overlord
10-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Also, could I drill down into the metal of this area to mount the amp to the sheet metal, or is the gas tank right below that area as well? Look under the car and you'll see exactly where the gas tank is.

fastblackmerc
10-10-2013, 05:41 AM
Look under the car and you'll see exactly where the gas tank is.

Gas tank is under the shelf that the spare tire is mounted to.

boatmangc
10-10-2013, 07:33 PM
I grounded to the rear seat seat belt mount, cleaned the paint off, #2 tinned lug with a stainless star washer bedded in a compound called Electra Guard, dielectric and anti corrosion.
Works great, even when the amps are pounding hard enough to let off that special scent, no heating at the connection.

cashmonkey38
10-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Ok thanks for the help guys, Jim just sent you a pm