PDA

View Full Version : Eaton M112 Supercharger???

BillyGman
03-28-2004, 10:52 AM
According to a book that I have about supercharging, Eaton has made 4 different sized blowers/superchargers. The biggest one being the M112 model, which is a 112 cubic inch blower.However, the copyright date of that book is back in 1999. I also read somewhere (I think it was on Lidio's site) that the Trilogy supercharger is the Eaton M112 model.

I also thought that the 03 Cobra, the Ford Lightning, and even the 2005 Ford GT also have the M112 Eaton supercharger(although I'm sure that the GT is running a different pulley and therefore more boost pressure than the Lightning and the Cobra is running). However, I just looked under the hood of this guy's 03 Cobra yesterday to get a peek at the supercharger, and it looked bigger than the Trilogy supercharger does.

Can that be true? Was I wrong to think that the Cobra and Lightning superchargers are the Eaton M112 model? I'm not sure if it simply looked bigger on that guy's Cobra because perhaps the engine compartment on the Cobra is a bit smaller than the one in the Marauder.

Can anyone confirm my original impressions or shed some more light on this for me?

Logan
03-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Yes. The Lightning, Cobra and Trilogy units are M112's. But there's different models of the M112. None of the above are even remotely close to one another in case or inlet design, only in displacement.

The M112 on our Marauders is a generic, rear feed unit...

BillyGman
03-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Thanks Logan. I was hoping you would weigh-in on this topic. I was just reading on the Ken Bell site that the 2005 Ford GT actually has a twin screw type S/Cer rather than a roots type. So maybe my thinking that the GT also has an Eaton blower was wrong.

Billatpro
03-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks Logan. I was hoping you would weigh-in on this topic. I was just reading on the Ken Bell site that the 2005 Ford GT actually has a twin srew type S/Cer rather than a roots type. So maybe my thinking that the GT also has an Eaton blower was wrong.

The twin Screw is a Roots type blower, just a more effiecient rotor design, instant boost at any rpm, cooler air charge but has a little more "sound" going on. It's the hot upgrade at KB.

BillyGman
03-28-2004, 12:34 PM
You mean the twin screw design whines more than the Eaton does? By "KB" you mean Kenny Brown???

Billatpro
03-28-2004, 12:42 PM
You mean the twin srew design whines more than the Eaton does? By "KB" you mean Kenny Brown???

Yes and No
KB as in Kenny Bell :up:

BillyGman
03-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Thanks.........

Effster
03-28-2004, 04:42 PM
i cant hear it whine at all over the noise of the rear tires on fire :cool:

BillyGman
03-28-2004, 04:49 PM
So you had to become your own engineer when it came to the installation. Right? I don't believe there are any complete kits offered for the Kene Bell S/Cer for Marauders. Correct? I remember seeing your posts about your installation process. it sounded very involved, but I must give you an "A" for effort. I'm sure that it payed off though. Have you taken your car to the dragstrip yet? if so, what were your ET's????

Effster
03-28-2004, 05:04 PM
correct billy,,no kits available.it was alot of work,and im not so sure it was worth it.this car is a pain in the as* to work on.no i havent had the chance yet to get it to the track just yet.i just purchased the sct pro race package which allows you to make changes and burn your own chips.so now that the weather is breaking,i am going to spend the next month or so getting the driveablity perfect.back to the blower noise,im only pushing it 8 lbs.guys in the cobras go 15-18 lbs,so wicking it up that high im sure it whines pretty good ;)

BillyGman
03-28-2004, 05:09 PM
I appreciate your input Effster. I know a little bit about the hassle of working on this car. I installed the Kooks headers myself, and that definately was a "Labor of Love". I'm pleasantly satisfied w/the performance results, but I definately had to earn it.

I guess that's why I wouldn't even think of tackling a S/Cer installation myself, unless it was a complete engineered kit specifically for the Marauder such as the Trilogy kit.(that's why I give you a lot of credit for doing that on your Marauder). Up until last summer, I was only used to working on older hotrods like my 73 Vette. What a piece of cake it is to work on those old cars compared to working on the Marauder. Yes, it's within reach of the average hobbyist/mechanic, but it does require a bit more patience, some extra tools, and some more time.

stumpy
03-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Billy, I'm not sure if you plan on doing your own install here, but a roots blower needs to be installed with exacting tolerances. The screws inside spin very quickly with very little clearance and if you torque it down too tight or unevenly it could be disastrous. Of course this may not apply to the unit you're getting or I could be totally wrong (dated information). But hey, better safe than sorry.

BillyGman
03-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Glen, your input is always welcome, because from meeting you and talking to you at two different tracks and some of your Impala buddies as well, I'm well aware that you are a seasoned racer, and one who knows a lot about dragracing as well as about the go-fast parts available to better our ET's at the track. So thanks for your advice once again.

As for the Trilogy set up, I've read the 145pg installation manual, and it's very detailed and specific. And it does specify torque specs of all the critical bolts. But your point is well taken my friend.

BillyGman
04-04-2004, 04:44 AM
To those who are interested, checkout the link that I've provided in the "Roots S/Cer info...." thread that I've started in the "Community" forum. It provides some brief but educational information about the improvements that have been made to the Eaton Supercharger in the 80's and 90's that makes it a cut above some other traditional Roots type Supercharger designs.