PDA

View Full Version : EATC blower problem...

PonyGuy
10-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Greetings, gentlemen... (and the occasional lady).

I returned last night from a trip out west across Illinois and Iowa on I-80 and I-29 into South Dakota, to visit the grandkids.

One day during the trip, I started the car and the climate control blower would not run while it was set in "Automatic" like I generally leave it. Attempting to adjust the blower speed manually with the thumbwheel did nothing. While the car was moving, I could feel air coming from the floor vent when I pushed the button for "Floor" and I felt air coming from the dash registers when I pushed the button for "Vent," so I believe the system is adjusting the airflow positions. Finally, I rotated the thumbwheel all the way up to the top of its rotation and the blower began to run at full speed. But the blower wouldn't run at any other position; either max or nothing.

So, we finished our 1200 mile round-trip, much of it in a driving thunderstorm across Iowa, with the blower either blasting at full noise drowning out Pandora, or with us depending on natural convection to move the air through the car. Fortunately, the temperature outside was moderate enough that we weren't freezing our butts or our noses off.

My question: What's the likely problem? I replaced the BMSC (blower motor speed controller) a couple of months ago; do the solenoids inside the EATC control head have any affect on the blower motor? The shop wiring manual refers to the EATC head as a unit, with no circuitry shown.

Thank you for any helpful insight!

RF Overlord
10-31-2013, 10:40 AM
do the solenoids inside the EATC control head have any affect on the blower motor? No, they only control vacuum to the motors to direct airflow to Defrost/Floor/Vent as desired.

I think SCCheesehead had the same issue a while back and had to replace the head unit. Send him a PM...

fastblackmerc
10-31-2013, 12:15 PM
It sounds like the entire EATC needs to be replaced. Sometimes the electronics inside go bad.

Peteyg
11-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Not really helpful...just a bit of a rant...

I had the exact same EATC setup in my '95 Lincoln Continental, and had the exact same problem. That means that this problem has existed in Ford vehicles for at least 10 years. There are threads on just about every Ford forum on the internet discussing this problem. My MM had the failed BCM when I bought it. In all that time, how could Ford not know there was an issue and fix it? Oh well, the fix was easy enough.

</rant>

Back on topic, I have heard that the replacement BCM can go bad just as quick (especially non-OEM aftermarket units), and it's not necessarily the EATC module. However, you can run a diagnostic on the EATC. If there's an issue in the controller itself, it should tell you.

PonyGuy
04-29-2014, 09:49 PM
I found a video about replacing that blower motor controller...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHGqs9R1xUk

He makes it look so easy... :(

fastblackmerc
04-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Greetings, gentlemen... (and the occasional lady).

I returned last night from a trip out west across Illinois and Iowa on I-80 and I-29 into South Dakota, to visit the grandkids.

One day during the trip, I started the car and the climate control blower would not run while it was set in "Automatic" like I generally leave it. Attempting to adjust the blower speed manually with the thumbwheel did nothing. While the car was moving, I could feel air coming from the floor vent when I pushed the button for "Floor" and I felt air coming from the dash registers when I pushed the button for "Vent," so I believe the system is adjusting the airflow positions. Finally, I rotated the thumbwheel all the way up to the top of its rotation and the blower began to run at full speed. But the blower wouldn't run at any other position; either max or nothing.

So, we finished our 1200 mile round-trip, much of it in a driving thunderstorm across Iowa, with the blower either blasting at full noise drowning out Pandora, or with us depending on natural convection to move the air through the car. Fortunately, the temperature outside was moderate enough that we weren't freezing our butts or our noses off.

My question: What's the likely problem? I replaced the BMSC (blower motor speed controller) a couple of months ago; do the solenoids inside the EATC control head have any affect on the blower motor? The shop wiring manual refers to the EATC head as a unit, with no circuitry shown.

Thank you for any helpful insight!

If you have your old BCM I'll buy it from you. PM me.

PonyGuy
05-02-2014, 01:57 AM
I found a video about replacing that blower motor controller...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHGqs9R1xUk

He makes it look so easy... :(

Well, I solved the problem. I replaced the OEM BMSC with a part from Advance Auto. (Yes, I know, dumb move.) And it failed in a few months. So, I took my "dead" OEM unit and repaired it, and had it installed. I'm going to return the failed unit from Advance Auto... it has a lifetime guarantee.

My "repaired" OEM unit works like new; actually, it's better than new, since I cleaned up the lousy soldering job from the factory unit. And it works perfectly...

Here's what I did: (Notice the "better than new" soldering and the supplemental copper wire.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ponyguy/P7210028.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ponyguy/media/P7210028.jpg.html)

PonyGuy
05-02-2014, 02:02 AM
If you have your old BCM I'll buy it from you. PM me.

I still have the old BCM, but it's a lousy aftermarket unit, and it's going back to Advance Auto for a refund.

But, if you really want it, I'll sell it to you... just top their price... :rolleyes:

Svashtar
05-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Known problem, for years. The blower motor speed control usually fails completely, but I was lucky in that mine failed in the "full on" position for a year. I got by with tapping it to get it to start for a while (in it's position on the firewall), but then even that didn't work.

This along with the crappy frequency lock problem on the radio and the loose compass diode / soldering job are 3 issues that never should have happened in our cars.

I have one of the early Reinhart rear engine cooling mods, well done by my mechanic when I did the Level II tranny upgrade and TC install, and pulling this little module out of the firewall and reinstalling it was the single hardest thing I've done on my MM., Took me over 6 hours in all. I have all the right tools, but with the cooling mod hoses there is simply no room to work.

Norm

Darigaaz
05-17-2014, 05:36 PM
So this module causes the blower to stop working? My AC stopped blowing air the other day after a week or so of blowing erratically (I would have it on the lowest setting and it would blow lightly, then ramp up to full then quiet down then back up etc).

marauderthis
05-17-2014, 07:21 PM
The victims keep piling up---- like I said before... the AC system Ford put into these cars is a piece of S___T JUNK.

For Ford and their share holders its great - a never ending source of new money

marauderthis
05-17-2014, 07:26 PM
A pool should be created and everyone should guess how long it will be for the next victim posts a EATC / blend door issue.
The winner gets the pot.

Good job Ford

RF Overlord
05-18-2014, 05:27 AM
Chillax, dude. You could be driving a Toyota or a GM and have multiple recalls. Would that be any better?

Marauderjack
05-18-2014, 07:03 AM
My car must be an anomaly since I've only replaced the O-rings in the EATC.....it never actually failed though and the rest of the stuff is working perfectly!!:beer:

Hearing all these problems makes me fear everything will break at once.......if so......it's PART OUT TIME!!:eek: :banana:

Darigaaz
05-18-2014, 08:17 AM
As many known issues that this car has they are not critical failures that prevent me from loving the crap out of it. Most are easy fixes or there are members here that offer reinforced replacements. My Impala SS has many known issues that are critical failures (Optispark, VATS, fuel pump) that make it a 4,000lbs paper weight and are a pain in the fun bucket to replace. I'll be ripping the BCM out today with my limited tools, it doesn't look to hard to get to.

EDIT:
Just tried to get it off and it proved to be too cramped to turn the bolt more than 1/10th of an inch. Since I didn't want to be there all day I went and bought some extensions and such but I did do the temporary mod A.K.A. wack it with something so at least I have AC for the time being.

marauderthis
05-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Chilax? tell that to all the poor slobs who are shelling out big bucks on something that should have been remedied ages ago.
FYI Ford technicians (more than one) did admit to me the EATC system is a unreliable POS. (not my words)
I was also told many of the AC sytem components should be fabricated from metal instead of plastic.

Good Job Ford

fastblackmerc
05-19-2014, 05:13 PM
So this module causes the blower to stop working? My AC stopped blowing air the other day after a week or so of blowing erratically (I would have it on the lowest setting and it would blow lightly, then ramp up to full then quiet down then back up etc).

Try tapping the BCM, if it starts working the BCM needs to be fixed or replaced.

I have a BCM that is repaired in stock, ready to ship.

Darigaaz
05-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Yeah, it's the BCM. When I went to go remove it I accidentally smacked into it and the blower turned on. I'm heading out on vacation tomorrow so I'll send you a PM tomorrow.

cunaginc
05-27-2014, 04:19 AM
This happend to me on my ride to school today. I'm not trying to be an idiot or anything, but the BCM is under the hood just on the outside of the of the heater case. Right beside where the heater core goes behind the firewall. The only reason that I'm asking this is because that sound like a bad place for it.

Marauderjack
05-27-2014, 09:32 AM
The air plenum mounting is used to keep it cool.....it generates a good bit of heat!!:cool:

Not a lot of fun to remove and replace it but not that tough!!:shake:

BLACKMARAUDER04
05-27-2014, 11:30 AM
I've reaplced mine twice.
Second one failed in Death Valley with a temperature of 114 degrees out side.

MarauderCyclone
05-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Well go ahead and add me to the list.

My 2000 Crown Vic P74 with Performance/Handling Package System just took a dirt nap today.

I had the issue of the Blower Only Operating at the High Speed level for well over a year...But the Thermostat and all the other functions worked just fine , until I got off work this AM , then Nothing worked. No Blower on any of the service settings ( Heat , Defrost , Vent )

My car is just short of the 81k mark , and I'm far from ready to sell it for next to nothing or trade it. It's worth more to me than it is to anyone at this point.

I've been doing my reading on the subject and I'm just going to replace the EATC and the BCM all at once. Knowing my luck , this will be right before the BS plastic intake manifold sheets the bed like it did on my Dad's 1997 Crown Vic with 71,000 miles on it.

I agree with a previous poster....we can beach moan and groan all we want to about things , and Yes Ford could have done better on a lot of these chronic issues , but what exactly is switing brands going to do in the long haul? They all have thier quirks , given enough time.

DEFYANT
10-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Add me to the list. I did my homework and found this topic and these threads. My car has 85k +/- miles.

My climate control was working fine when I detected a mild burning odor followed by the fan speed increasing momentarily, then off. I could hear a clicking behind the dash after I turned off the system and attempted to turn it on again.

I swapped mine out with an OEM Ford part. I dont want the hassle of the unreliable FLAPS replacements. Today I installed it in about an hour. Yep, it's a PITA.

It was made easier by jacking the car up some so I didnt have to bend far for extended periods. The wire harness for the BCM is long. There is a pushon clip holding it to the firewall. After popping it off, it was easier to manipulate the plug off.

I unscrewed the BCM, removed it from the firewall and let it hang. I was able to easily unplug it from under the car. Install was tedious. I plugged it in from above, pushed the BCM in and began the fun process of trying to get the screws started. I cheated by using electrical tap to steady the universal joint and to hold the screw in place in the socket.

Thanks for the previous write ups. You guys made this process less painful.

BTW, I got the last one at the dealer. In fact, the parts counter guys committed the one I got to two people at the same time. I got there first, so they sold it to me. Apparently these Panthers with climate control (BCMs) are going up all over the place.

tbone
10-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Planned obsolescence is a fact of life.....

fastblackmerc
10-16-2014, 12:13 PM
This happend to me on my ride to school today. I'm not trying to be an idiot or anything, but the BCM is under the hood just on the outside of the of the heater case. Right beside where the heater core goes behind the firewall. The only reason that I'm asking this is because that sound like a bad place for it.

I've reaplced mine twice.
Second one failed in Death Valley with a temperature of 114 degrees out side.

Well go ahead and add me to the list.

My 2000 Crown Vic P74 with Performance/Handling Package System just took a dirt nap today.

I had the issue of the Blower Only Operating at the High Speed level for well over a year...But the Thermostat and all the other functions worked just fine , until I got off work this AM , then Nothing worked. No Blower on any of the service settings ( Heat , Defrost , Vent )

My car is just short of the 81k mark , and I'm far from ready to sell it for next to nothing or trade it. It's worth more to me than it is to anyone at this point.

I've been doing my reading on the subject and I'm just going to replace the EATC and the BCM all at once. Knowing my luck , this will be right before the BS plastic intake manifold sheets the bed like it did on my Dad's 1997 Crown Vic with 71,000 miles on it.

I agree with a previous poster....we can beach moan and groan all we want to about things , and Yes Ford could have done better on a lot of these chronic issues , but what exactly is switing brands going to do in the long haul? They all have thier quirks , given enough time.

Add me to the list. I did my homework and found this topic and these threads. My car has 85k +/- miles.

My climate control was working fine when I detected a mild burning odor followed by the fan speed increasing momentarily, then off. I could hear a clicking behind the dash after I turned off the system and attempted to turn it on again.

I swapped mine out with an OEM Ford part. I dont want the hassle of the unreliable FLAPS replacements. Today I installed it in about an hour. Yep, it's a PITA.

It was made easier by jacking the car up some so I didnt have to bend far for extended periods. The wire harness for the BCM is long. There is a pushon clip holding it to the firewall. After popping it off, it was easier to manipulate the plug off.

I unscrewed the BCM, removed it from the firewall and let it hang. I was able to easily unplug it from under the car. Install was tedious. I plugged it in from above, pushed the BCM in and began the fun process of trying to get the screws started. I cheated by using electrical tap to steady the universal joint and to hold the screw in place in the socket.

Thanks for the previous write ups. You guys made this process less painful.

BTW, I got the last one at the dealer. In fact, the parts counter guys committed the one I got to two people at the same time. I got there first, so they sold it to me. Apparently these Panthers with climate control (BCMs) are going up all over the place.

Guys, I have repaired & upgrade BCMs available. $25.00 shipped, all I ask is that you send the old one back so I can repair it and get it to someone else.

I also repair EATC's and I can also upgrade the button & fan wheel lights to LEDs.

ncmm
10-16-2014, 01:16 PM
here's how I did it last year. . .with the BCM I received from fastblackmerc

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1323045#post1 323045

DEFYANT
10-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Guys, I have repaired & upgrade BCMs available. $25.00 shipped, all I ask is that you send the old one back so I can repair it and get it to someone else.

I also repair EATC's and I can also upgrade the button & fan wheel lights to LEDs.

I probably already have it. but PM me your contact info and I'll send you the removed unit for repair. I can Paypal you the cost plus shipping. I'll keep it as a spare.