PDA

View Full Version : What's going on?

Dre1842
12-01-2013, 01:30 PM
I took the car into Best Buy to have the PIE adapter installed (I had a deal from my last install)

After the install my speedometer was on the other side (140 mph). I took the car out to test it and the speedometer did not move.

I had the Manager submit a claim, after I drove off with the car the meter started back up but it seems off and my power is sluggish.

What are my options to get this fixed?

Thanks

RF Overlord
12-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Uh...go back and have them remove whatever they installed?

Marauderjack
12-01-2013, 01:42 PM
What is a "PIE adapter" anyway??:confused:

Dre1842
12-01-2013, 01:46 PM
What is a "PIE adapter" anyway??:confused:

It attaches to the OEM radio that comes out of the Escape w/ AUX/S.

fastblackmerc
12-01-2013, 03:46 PM
I took the car into Best Buy to have the PIE adapter installed (I had a deal from my last install)

After the install my speedometer was on the other side (140 mph). I took the car out to test it and the speedometer did not move.

I had the Manager submit a claim, after I drove off with the car the meter started back up but it seems off and my power is sluggish.

What are my options to get this fixed?

Thanks
Which P.I.E. adapter? Most are just power, ground and a connection to the radio / harness. They might have disconnected or loosened connector(s).

Dre1842
12-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Which P.I.E. adapter? Most are just power, ground and a connection to the radio / harness. They might have disconnected or loosened connector(s).

http://www.oemautosound.com/p-45-ford-auxiliary-frd03-aux-s.aspx

This is the one. The speedometer is working again, but it seems off.

Can a handheld tuner fix this or will it need to go in?

L.Mark
12-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Won't let Best Buy touch my Marauder...

fastblackmerc
12-02-2013, 04:13 PM
http://www.oemautosound.com/p-45-ford-auxiliary-frd03-aux-s.aspx

This is the one. The speedometer is working again, but it seems off.

Can a handheld tuner fix this or will it need to go in?

They really screwed something up. That interface just plugs inbetween the harness and radio, no other connections.

Good luck.

RF Overlord
12-02-2013, 04:14 PM
[URL]The speedometer is working again, but it seems off.

Can a handheld tuner fix this or will it need to go in?A tune can fix just about anything...

...but...

I fail to see how installing an aux. input audio adapter to your radio can make the speedometer read improperly. Try removing the adapter and see if the speedo works correctly again.

Dre1842
12-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Well, took the adapter off and the speedo is still acting up. It jumps from 20 to 120 then past 140.
Checked it again later and the speedo seems more inline, but I can tell something is off...........

justbob
12-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Well, took the adapter off and the speedo is still acting up. It jumps from 20 to 120 then past 140.
Checked it again later and the speedo seems more inline, but I can tell something is off...........

They must have done something to the speed sensor wire that controls the automatic volume adjust. Like somehow shorted it out back to the sensor?

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Dre1842
12-03-2013, 03:48 PM
From what I've had done it's not any connections that came unplugged.

martyo
12-03-2013, 07:11 PM
They must have done something to the speed sensor wire that controls the automatic volume adjust. Like somehow shorted it out back to the sensor?

That is where my money is.

ctrlraven
12-04-2013, 12:51 PM
That is where my money is.
Yep, agree with it as well.

vegasmarauder
12-04-2013, 10:07 PM
The Grey/Blk wire into the radio is right from the Vehicle Speed Sensor. There is no reason they should have spliced that one. If it was a plug and play thing with a harness that goes between the radio and the car harness it sounds like they used the wrong connection harness for your car or they got a defective one with a short or cross connected wires. Either way, its in the connections they made. Good thing is, once they undo the mess, the VSS and speedo should go back to normal unless it blows a fuse..

Mike M
12-04-2013, 11:04 PM
So that PIE won't work on our radios?

fastblackmerc
12-05-2013, 05:24 AM
So that PIE won't work on our radios?

No it will work, I used one for years until I upgraded to a better headunit (Pioneer AVIC X904BT).

Best Buy just screwed something up during the installation. As long as you can remove the stock headunit you can plug the PIE adapter in.

Fman
12-11-2013, 09:57 PM
I ordered a "PIE" adapter from this company a few months ago and they sent me another brand that had loose connections and never worked. Even though they show the PIE picture on their web site, that company shut down production months ago and OEM sends a different brand. They told me it was the same thing and refused to refund until I involved the credit card company.

It's a tight squeeze when you're installing the PIE adapter and all the wiring...maybe they bent some of the head units' wiring when forcing it back into your dash? Otherwise, Vegas is right, they had no reason to splice that wire.

Mike M
12-11-2013, 10:04 PM
No it will work, I used one for years until I upgraded to a better headunit (Pioneer AVIC X904BT).

Best Buy just screwed something up during the installation. As long as you can remove the stock headunit you can plug the PIE adapter in.

It says it is for radios with a "SAT" button, ours doesn't have that.