PDA

View Full Version : Blend Door Motor 'bypass', I have heat!!!

Thomas C Potter
12-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Blend door motor was stuck, dealer says the console and dash have to come out. After pondering, I decided to attack it. Had to cut an air duct, but other items were easily set aside. Then cut the plastic shaft coming out of the bottom of the motor. This leaves the door shaft ready for easy rotation.

Send me a PM today/tomorrow if you are in the same heatless condition I was in and want to fix it soon. Include ph #.

Or call me at office next week 703 280-7164

TP Blue in VA

fastblackmerc
12-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Blend door motor was stuck, dealer says the console and dash have to come out. After pondering, I decided to attack it. Had to cut an air duct, but other items were easily set aside. Then cut the plastic shaft coming out of the bottom of the motor. This leaves the door shaft ready for easy rotation.

Send me a PM today/tomorrow if you are in the same heatless condition I was in and want to fix it soon. Include ph #.

Or call me at office next week 703 280-7164

TP Blue in VA

The dash only has to be loosened and pulled forward. After that replacing the blend door motor is easy, only 2 screws secure it.

There are solutions out there like this:

http://www.heatertreater.net/index.html

http://www.conceptualedge.com/blend-door/

Personally I'd rather spend the extra time to do it right.

a_d_a_m
12-07-2013, 03:12 PM
You don't have to pull the dash! Pull the airbag and glovebox out and you'll be surprised at the access you have in there. My hands are too big to do the job, but I found a friend with smaller hands who was able to assist.

I have almost a year on my repair.

fastblackmerc
12-07-2013, 03:17 PM
You don't have to pull the dash! Pull the airbag and glovebox out and you'll be surprised at the access you have in there. My hands are too big to do the job, but I found a friend with smaller hands who was able to assist.

I have almost a year on my repair.

That is true. My hands wouldn't fit either. Had to do it the hard way.

Thomas C Potter
12-07-2013, 11:04 PM
great tips for when I replace the critter. Could you give more detail on 'pull the air bag' ?? Is that from the front, or working thru the glove box door???

a_d_a_m
12-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Basic writeup of 'getting in there'.

1. Disconnect the battery.
2. Remove the gray trim piece that is between your HVAC and stereo. Pull from the passenger side and work your way toward the steering column. Be careful to not break any clips.
3. Remove the cosmetic piece that is over the airbag.
4. Remove the screws or bolts (I think they were sheet metal screws) that hold in the airbag. Gently remove the airbag and disconnect the electrical connectors.
5. Remove the glovebox; it's pretty straightforward.

The blend door motor is to the left of where the airbag is. Good luck. We removed the duct that goes under the dash for easier access. We had to trim a little bit of it to get it back into place.

fastblackmerc
12-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Wait at least 15 minutes after disconnecting the battery before removed the airbag(s).

ctrlraven
12-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Wait at least 15 minutes after disconnecting the battery before removed the airbag(s).
THIS IS AN EXTREMELY IMPORTANT STEP!

fastblackmerc
12-09-2013, 01:00 PM
THIS IS AN EXTREMELY IMPORTANT STEP!

Don't want that airbag blowing up in your face!

Thomas C Potter
12-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Thnx Adam, great summary