PDA

View Full Version : Any idea how to do this?.... photos

clintons4
12-25-2013, 08:58 AM
I have seen this done to GM full size trucks. Anyone know how to add the 3.5mm aux plug to our radios like the photo?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/clintonmomo/radio.jpg

fastblackmerc
12-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Go go P.I.E. and get an RCA input, then go from RCA to 3.5 female jack. Can also check PAC Audio.

larryo340
12-25-2013, 09:18 AM
I'd love to see if it can be a DIY job... I've seen them on eBay for years and would love to have one since I'm not ready to go full on aftermarket system for awhile so it would be great to plug in my phone to my Escape audiophile head unit.

Spectragod
12-25-2013, 10:02 AM
It is possible, you would have to use an input on the radio, i.e., tape, xm etc., then map it out on the pc board before the amplifier section.

Did an XM input on one with a tape deck a few years ago, worked like a champ. It is not a DIY unless you you have a hot air station and can do SMC work.

clintons4
12-25-2013, 10:30 AM
It is possible, you would have to use an input on the radio, i.e., tape, xm etc., then map it out on the pc board before the amplifier section.

Did an XM input on one with a tape deck a few years ago, worked like a champ. It is not a DIY unless you you have a hot air station and can do SMC work.

:alone:<--- This pretty much sums it up. I thought it would be more of a DIY without being an EE.

I wonder if the guy that makes them on eBay would modify one if it was sent in to him. Wonder if there is enough interest on the forum if we could get bulk pricing?

fastblackmerc
12-25-2013, 10:35 AM
This this the unit I used until I went with a Pioneer nav unit.

http://www.oemautosound.com/p-46-ford-lincoln-mercury-auxiliary-input-adapter.aspx

NOTE: you won't be able to used the 6 CD changer if you have one.

guspech750
12-25-2013, 10:39 AM
I have the PIE adapter. Plugs right into the cd changer port behind the OEM radio. I can control my iPhone/iPod with my steering wheel controls, the radio controls and the devices them selves and also charges them too. And sounds really good.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Spectragod
12-25-2013, 11:40 AM
I have the PIE adapter. Plugs right into the cd changer port behind the OEM radio. I can control my iPhone/iPod with my steering wheel controls, the radio controls and the devices them selves and also charges them too. And sounds really good.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^ , if I listened to the radio, I would probably got this route, less permanent that drilling holes and soldering to the board inside the radio.

1Marauder
12-26-2013, 12:17 AM
OK> I am interested in this... HOW do you install it again? Plug and play behind the radio... cord comes out where???

fastblackmerc
12-26-2013, 07:14 AM
OK> I am interested in this... HOW do you install it again? Plug and play behind the radio... cord comes out where???

You get one of theses:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-1-8-Stereo-Female-Mini-Jack-to-2-Male-RCA-Plug-Adapter-Audio-Y-Cable-/200778409916?pt=US_Audio_Cable s_Adapters&hash=item2ebf5367bc

and one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUSH-MOUNT-AUX-3-5MM-1-8-STEREO-HEADPHONE-JACK-3-FEET-ADAPTER-DOCK-US-SELLER-/271217504014?pt=US_Adapters&hash=item3f25d2af0e&vxp=mtr

and install it wherever you want. I installed mine in the center console beneath the center console lip.

clintons4
12-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Looks like the PIE could be purchased on amazon for $68 with 2 day shipping. Is there enough room behind the radio for the adapter? I have never had mine out.

guspech750
12-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Man. I sure as chit can not find the exact PIE kit I bought back in 2009. It was so simple. Plugged into the cd changer port, that connected to a little black box I have Velcroed underneath buy the OBD2 port. Then a 7' long cable fed underneath the center console that plugs right into my iPhone.

It has no 3.5mm jacks or extra wires running around.

Sheesh.

My guess is that the awesome simple kit I have is no longer made.

I'm still looking.

guspech750
12-26-2013, 11:49 AM
I think this is it.

Auxiliary input audio adapter for Ford Mercury Lincoln PIE FRDW-AUX

http://bit.ly/K6MYgl

But it doesn't include the iPod/iPhone cable.

fastblackmerc
12-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Looks like the PIE could be purchased on amazon for $68 with 2 day shipping. Is there enough room behind the radio for the adapter? I have never had mine out.

Plenty of room under the radio and in between the bottom of the radio shelf and top of the EATC.

clintons4
12-26-2013, 05:12 PM
How about this bad boy

http://www.oemautosound.com/p-389-ford-auxiliary-interface-ford-aux-oem.aspx

You can keep the disc changer with this one. Anyone used it? I don't use the disc changer but I think it would be pretty silly to have it inop in the car. :confused:

FreddieH
12-27-2013, 02:32 PM
My radio does not have a CD changer is there still a CD changer port in the rear of the radio?

fastblackmerc
12-27-2013, 02:35 PM
My radio does not have a CD changer is there still a CD changer port in the rear of the radio?

Yes there is

FreddieH
12-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Yes there isThanks, I am going to order the parts.

Peteyg
12-27-2013, 03:39 PM
I just bought the PIE kit from Amazon. It'll be at my house tomorrow and installed on Sunday (I'd do it tomorrow, but I just decided to go Jeeping...a day in the desert sounds like just the ticket to de-stress after the holiday). We'll see how it goes. I don't care if the CD changer doesn't work. I hate it anyway. If I desperately want to play a CD, I still have the single disc in the head unit. I hate the cassette adapter for my phone. It sounds like crap.

FreddieH
01-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks, I am going to order the parts.
I Purchased and installed the Pie part# FRD03-AUX and it does not work, I have the single cd unit. It says to disconnect the 24 pin and 16 pin connectors but the kit only has a 16 pin adaptor.
Any help will help. Thanks

clintons4
01-07-2014, 06:34 AM
I Purchased and installed the Pie part# FRD03-AUX and it does not work, I have the single cd unit. It says to disconnect the 24 pin and 16 pin connectors but the kit only has a 16 pin adaptor.
Any help will help. Thanks

I was under the impression you plug it in the cd changer port and select that input mode when you want to use the connected device. Am I wrong?

I just received one of these as a gift. I will check to see what plugs are on the unit.

FreddieH
01-07-2014, 07:30 AM
I was under the impression you plug it in the cd changer port and select that input mode when you want to use the connected device. Am I wrong?

I just received one of these as a gift. I will check to see what plugs are on the unit.I called and talked to someone at oem auto sound and he stated that I have the right part for the single cd and tape radio and have to ground the black wire and power the yellow wire which were not included in the instructions. He said some of our radios do not send power to the unit and some do. Part# FRD03-AUX The black wire can be grounded to the back of the radio.

FreddieH
01-08-2014, 05:47 PM
I called and talked to someone at oem auto sound and he stated that I have the right part for the single cd and tape radio and have to ground the black wire and power the yellow wire which were not included in the instructions. He said some of our radios do not send power to the unit and some do. Part# FRD03-AUX The black wire can be grounded to the back of the radio.

Powered the wires and now we have iTunes

fastblackmerc
01-09-2014, 04:17 AM

Glad you got it to work.

clintons4
01-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Great. I will be installing mine soon. Thanks for the info!:beer:

Vortech347
01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
I really like the idea about having the inputs being BEHIND the deck. Sure it looks cool in paper and on picures but having wires plugged in and sticking out of the front looks ugly.

I like the incognito PIE interface I have.

fastblackmerc
01-10-2014, 05:48 AM
I really like the idea about having the inputs being BEHIND the deck. Sure it looks cool in paper and on picures but having wires plugged in and sticking out of the front looks ugly.

I like the incognito PIE interface I have.

I ran the wires under the center console to a jack. Will try to get pictures this weekend.

Vortech347
01-10-2014, 08:41 AM
I ran the wires under the center console to a jack. Will try to get pictures this weekend.

:beer: Best way to do it.

clintons4
01-19-2014, 01:57 PM

I am installing my frd03-aux/s now and it will need the wires hooked up as you did. The only yellow wire I see is on the harness going to the radio?? There is no yellow wire on the PIE adapter? No tech support today since its Sunday. I would really like to finish ths up today. I have attached at pic of what I have going on. HELP!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/clintonmomo/20140119_151243.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/clintonmomo/20140119_151704.jpg

clintons4
01-19-2014, 02:22 PM
I have wrong unit. I have the FRD03-AUX/s. The one I needed was FRD03-AUX.

The one I have fits OEM Ford radios with the "SAT" button only.

so.... anyone need this one? PM if interested.

clintons4
01-20-2014, 02:51 PM
To make matters even worse, the correct unit for our cars is discontinued. :mad2: