PDA

View Full Version : How about a Motor City Event at Alternative Auto...Lidio Dyno and Tune Day?

MI2QWK4U
04-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Guys, how does this sound for a MCM get together? We sponsor a Dyno and Tune Day at Alternative Auto. Get a dyno tune, chip, rear end, other minor mods some day this summer that works for Lidio. His Dyno Days are always a BIG dear around town. If there is interest, I will talk to Lidio and see when might work for him, his callander is filling up fast, i think we would be into June if we picked real soon. Vote and respond in this forum so I can get a head count. As always, our events are open to any Marauders from around the country, there are a lot of Marauders that could benefit from Lidio's touch!

bigslim
04-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Sounds good Dave.

Zack
04-01-2004, 10:34 PM
I would jump on this Motor City guys.
Your cars will really wake up now that Lidio has Superchips tuning in his shop.

MikesMerc
04-02-2004, 07:12 AM
I'd be all over that event in a heartbeat!

jobrien8
04-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Sounds like the best way to spend a day!!!!:banana:

teamrope
04-02-2004, 09:23 AM
I wish Alternative Auto would open up a franchise in Seattle...How bout it Lidio? :D

MI2QWK4U
04-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Any more takers? It would be a blast to run a dozen marauders on the dyno in a day....come on...get involved Motor City Crew!

dwasson
04-12-2004, 10:43 AM
count me in

Lowell
04-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Sounds like fun. Would depend on the date.

kirk
04-12-2004, 04:49 PM
I thought about bringing the old Marauder Dave. Might be a kick to see how it stacks up.

Fast4Door
04-12-2004, 05:36 PM
I can't say for sure that I'd be ready to get a tune, but I'd like to come see all the happenings anyway. keep us posted, prez...

MI2QWK4U
04-12-2004, 06:02 PM
I can't say for sure that I'd be ready to get a tune, but I'd like to come see all the happenings anyway. keep us posted, prez...

Usually the dyno days are a chance to make 2 or 3 runs on the dyno to see where your car is in the rear wheel horse power and torque department! I think Lidio could do a chip and tune as well, they would be separated things. I will ask him to chime in here and explain what would happen...
Looks like a very nice turnout though...very nice.

Lidio
04-13-2004, 04:23 AM
I would be very happy to host a dyno for “Marauders only” in the near future…

I’ve already had three dyno days since my dyno’s been up and running from last August.

Two of them where full-on “Alternative Auto Dyno Days”, and one was a Mustang club that simply rented the dyno for the day, and I simply ran it and made some suggestions to some of the individual owners that made pulls from their Mustang club.

Here’s how I think we could do this if you don’t mind some starting input or suggestions.

When I do a dyno day we basically normally open it to any thing that will work on my dyno that isn’t all wheel drive.
Of course if it’s a Marauder Dyno day it would only be open only to MM’s. I normally charge $50.00 per car on a dyno day for 2 to 3 pulls. This is to simply strap it down and proceed to make the pulls with a short rest in between pulls. Then for an optional/extra $25.00 per person if they want we will install our O2 sensor and boost-sensor… if boosted and then log A/F and boost as well on the same dyno sheet.
Although we only watch and monitor the A/F ratio if the car is equipped with an auxiliary O2 bung in the exhaust. We do not use a tail pipe sensor for our A/F stuff because this is not accurate. So if you’d want you’re A/F checked out, an auxiliary bung needs to be put in the exhaust before the dyno time comes.

An axulray O2 bug is a little difficult to install on a MM with the totally stock catalytic converters, we normally weld in bungs at our shop but the MM’s we send to a local custom exhaust guy and he puts them in for us. On MM’s we put the extra bung on the right side in front of the first cat. Theirs a little room there in a spot that’s on the H-pipe right after the manifold. I try not to remove a stock O2 ever for A/F stuff because this makes the computer unhappy and could mess with other readings and make the CPU go open-loop needlessly.

I must tell you though that on a N/A Marauder with a few light mods… theirs no reason to check the A/F any way from what I’ve seen. Every MM I’ve watched the A/F on that’s not supercharged…. It stays right around 13to1 at WOT. This is usually optimum for one of these and we usually leave it alone.

As far as a chip or some sort of tune while on the dyno on the dyno day, I’d have to work on that one because I’ve never done tunes or custom tunes on a extensive dyno day.
But here what I think we could do if we organize it ahead of time; Any MM that comes to the dyno day and wants to do one of our chips and tunes as long as its not a real crazy MM with lots of extensive work done to it, witch would normally require a couple day visit or a couple of hours on the dyno….We would charge about $395.00 for the whole thing. We would arrange it so that the computer would get prepped for the chip ahead of time (at my shop on the dyno day) and then we would simply put it on the dyno and make a couple of before and after pulls with the chip. This would of course be on N/A Marauder with simple bolt ons, like a gear, pulleys, exhaust etc. Anything more extensive then that would not be handled in such a short time and not at the $395.00.

We normally charge $325.00 for our MM N/A chips but this does not include dyno time and install, so I think the $395 for the whole thing might be pretty fair.

And in the near future its possible by then I would be able to offer a hand-held tuner that will have a predefined custom tune that could be flashed into the CPU and then the customer could leave our facility with the hand-held with some adjustability of his own on top of the predefined tune we would flash in.

Now I have to tell you that our chip for N/A Marauders doesn’t shine through entirley only on the dyno. Its best features are noticed on the street because of the many things we do that are simply felt on the street and not just a peak number on the dyno. The many things we do with tip in spark retard (or lack there of) and all the trans stuff like shifting, torque converter lock-up, etc… These things are not all about the dyno. Although on the dyno our chips are worth about only 8-12 more HP at peak and about 15-25 HP and TQ in the mid-range.

Thanks and I’m sure we could work on the date and details here.

DL04
04-13-2004, 11:44 AM
I would love to get the tuner/ dyno tune,all depends on the date- {its only 10 HR RIDE} :up:

MI2QWK4U
04-13-2004, 07:51 PM
I would be very happy to host a dyno for “Marauders only” in the near future…

Thanks and I’m sure we could work on the date and details here.

Thanks for the detailed information Lidio. Guys, this is a great chance to hang out and run the dyno ragged. Its a good chance to drive cars with the 410s and chip only, or the chip only before making up your mind. Any of you guys are welcome to drive my car, and im sure others feel the same way. Lets set the date and post the latest Motor City Marauder Event!

bigslim
04-13-2004, 08:15 PM
I will make it there so people can drive a car with his chip and 410 package.

MikesMerc
04-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Are we coming close to firming up a date for this? The calender is filling quickly and we have a ton of support for the event. Let us know:D

MI2QWK4U
04-21-2004, 06:22 PM
Are we coming close to firming up a date for this? The calender is filling quickly and we have a ton of support for the event. Let us know:D

I talked to Lidio tonight about that, and he will be posting the date soon. He was looking at one of the last weekends in May. Stay tuned.

Lidio
04-22-2004, 07:16 PM
I talked to Lidio tonight about that, and he will be posting the date soon. He was looking at one of the last weekends in May. Stay tuned.

So far for us... Saterday, May 29th is looking good.

How about the rest of you??

MikesMerc
04-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Works for me :up:

MI2QWK4U
04-22-2004, 08:09 PM
So far for us... Saterday, May 29th is looking good.

How about the rest of you??

Lidio, Any chance we can make it May 22nd?

DetGeno
04-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Lid remember that is Memorial Weekend! I know I would love to attend but not that weekend!

Lidio
04-23-2004, 03:38 AM
Yes.... May 22nd looks good too.

I'll look for sure when I get to work.

dwasson
04-23-2004, 06:34 AM
The 22nd works better for me. I'll be out of town Memorial Day weekend.

metroplex
04-23-2004, 11:49 AM
I can make it the 22nd (as it looks right now).

Is it Marauders only? I have a 00 Crown Vic :D

I will only need a dyno w/ wideband O2 logging (AFR ratio curve on the dyno curves) - how much will this run (per hour?)

I have my own tuning equipment.

Thanks

REpson
04-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Dave,

Sounds good to me. As you're already aware, my MM is tuned baby! However I do need a Dyno Test.

:-) :banana2:

Guys, how does this sound for a MCM get together? We sponsor a Dyno and Tune Day at Alternative Auto. Get a dyno tune, chip, rear end, other minor mods some day this summer that works for Lidio. His Dyno Days are always a BIG dear around town. If there is interest, I will talk to Lidio and see when might work for him, his callander is filling up fast, i think we would be into June if we picked real soon. Vote and respond in this forum so I can get a head count. As always, our events are open to any Marauders from around the country, there are a lot of Marauders that could benefit from Lidio's touch!

Lidio
04-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Its done guys..... May 22nd it is....

Start your engines!!!!

I'll iron out details and cost's real soon.

Thanks

MarauderMike
04-23-2004, 01:57 PM
:banana2: :bounce: :D :burnout: :bows: :up:

metroplex
04-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Hooah!

I'm sure a lot of people are going to come in for a dynotune, I just want to make sure you can iron out a cost plan for those that just want dyno runs w/ the AFR logged out (probably just me, LOL but it should be less work for you anyhow).

MikesMerc
04-23-2004, 03:09 PM
I'm there :banana2:

bigslim
04-23-2004, 06:32 PM
I will be there with dancing shoes on.

dwasson
04-23-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm there.

Lidio
04-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Here's how dyno days at my shop have gone so far...

We don’t do full-on custom tunes on the day of the “Dyno day”. We simply have a huge turn out (as much as 25-33 cars last summer). Just strapping them down and giving every body their two pulls for $50.00 can consume a lot of time on a one day Saturday event like this.

I'm open to……., and considering doing some tunes on that day for a limited number of MM's possibly. As many know I'm now a full SCT tuner using their software, chips and very soon their hand held tuner. I have programs for the MM’s on chips with and with-out 4.10s. For the hand held tuner all I need to do is load them into the hand held and start using them or sending them out.

So far my MM performance tune for 3.55s and 4.10s is working out great. No spark knock on premium fuel (92-93 octane), no overly harsh shifts, and every body seems to love what I do with the transmission/torque converter. I don’t currently own the device that allows me to flash a car and then let the customer go with just that and no hand held for him to proceed home with, with multiple programs and the ability to flash back to stock.
So it would have to be a chip or a micro tuner type thing. The chips installed will be about $400.00 for the whole thing I’m thinking; you’re before and after pulls, chip and all in the $400.00. If it’s done with a flasher I think that price will be about $100.00 more and you leave with a Micro tuner with two additional programs and the ability to flash back to stock if needed.

I want to repeat this though….. My Marauder N/A tune program is very well thought out and works perfect with 92 or 93 octane. I don’t make exaggerated claims with it and send you home only to have your car spark knocking later on. My Marauder tunes best and most noticeable features are not entirely noticed on the dyno. Its best felt when driving the car. Please don’t look at this as an excuse from me to not get drilled when my chip doesn’t net miraculous 50RWHP. The marauder calibration simply doesn’t have a huge amount of over all RWHP left in if it’s done right. Although a significant amount of low end torque, throttle response, torque reduction during upshifts, fan, idle, and many other features are very notable with my chip/program for the MM’s.

Here what I’m thinking about doing:

Like any other “dyno day” at my shop we charge $50.00 for two or three pulls. That’s it usually, only the two or three pulls and not custom tuning because you really cant get any thing conclusive done in two pulls unless you run it N/A on one run and then turn on NOS or some thing the next run. The DynoJet on that day will NOT be usable or rentable at an hourly rate because of the volume of cars we usually try to knock out in the 7-10 hours we’ll be there. So if you’re looking to try many things or bring your own tuner or tuning software, unless its a little tweek thats not real time consuming... it would require a dyno appointment another time.

Also like other dyno days…. We charge an extra $25.00 to log Air/Fuel ratio with our true wide band 02 which does not go into the tail pipe. I don’t believe in tail pipe tuning so ours requires an available 02 bung in the exhaust ahead of the first set of cats if the cats are still there. For those of you with stock MM’s or with very little done or even mild exhaust work… don’t sweat the Air/Fuel ratio thing, a stock MM’s Air/Fuel ratio at WOT is about 12.8-13.00 to 1... This is optimal and requires no adjustment at all. This is what I’ve seen on every MM we tune that’s N/A.

I think we should make it open to any one on this forum of course, with or with out a MM. But I’m not opposed if the majority members here want to see it be only a MM day.

Well that’s a starting point I hope for every one. I’m open to doing some light custom tunes or just plane selling my chip or handheld to any interested MM owners on the dyno day. You’ll be able to test drive the car before you leave or before it goes on the dyno etc. I assure you the program we have for N/A Marauders with or with out 4.10’s is getting great reviews mostly for the throttle response and trans/torque converter stuff we do.

Thanks

DetGeno
04-24-2004, 04:52 PM
THX LID! I'll make it on the 22nd but it might be late afternoon so hopefully everyone sticks around for this all day exciting event :burnout: :banana2:

bigslim
04-24-2004, 05:37 PM
I will vouch for his chip. It really improves the shift points and "no knock". It works very well with the 410 he also installed. I will be there for anyone that wants to see how it reponds.

SergntMac
04-24-2004, 06:04 PM
I’m not opposed if the majority members here want to see it be only a MM day.
Thanks for your update, Lidio, your plan sounds solid and in control of those last minute spontaneous disruptions I've come to think of as "dynoqueens."

May I point out that the date you have selected is already very busy with Marauder events nationwide? It's the same weekend as the "Cleveland Rocks" Marauder Roundup, a National Member event in planning here since October of '03. Moreover, our ATL based club has shifted their routine monthly meet to this weekend? Maybe you caught that, Lidio, maybe not?

If you're expecting a flood of MMs based on who posts here, most of them are busy with other events. I am sure these preplanned events will siphon a large audience of MM owners who post here, which is why I'm giving you a clue here now. As a seasoned vet of "dyno daze" myself, you never know which ghost will show up where anyway, eh?

BTW, one or two of our posting members here are committed to duplicate events, so, anyone managing an event by means of head count, should be prepared to deal with last minute absence and arrival. Other than this minor complication (with enough time to sort things out), this event seems well planned, and well in hand.

Nice job, Lidio, thanks.

MikesMerc
04-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Thanks fpr the heads up. I think we have at least 15+ commited rides coming as it sits. Any others who haven't responded yet would only add to the fray. Given two pulls each, plus some tuning time, we'll already consume a good deal of time. I'm sure we could make room though :up:

But...I suppose I should really let Lidio answer the attendence issue himself :D

MI2QWK4U
04-24-2004, 07:06 PM
May I point out that the date you have selected is already very busy with Marauder events nationwide? It's the same weekend as the "Cleveland Rocks" Marauder Roundup, a National Member event in planning here since October of '03. Moreover, our ATL based club has shifted their routine monthly meet to this weekend? Maybe you caught that, Lidio, maybe not?

If you're expecting a flood of MMs based on who posts here, most of them are busy with other events. I am sure these preplanned events will siphon a large audience of MM owners who post here, which is why I'm giving you a clue here now. As a seasoned vet of "dyno daze" myself, you never know which ghost will show up where anyway, eh?

BTW, one or two of our posting members here are committed to duplicate events, so, anyone managing an event by means of head count, should be prepared to deal with last minute absence and arrival. Other than this minor complication (with enough time to sort things out), this event seems well planned, and well in hand.

Nice job, Lidio, thanks.

Mac, I pretty much started out by trying to set up a Motor City Marauder club get together to formally kick off our summer season, and the dyno day sounded good. As always, our events are open to anyone, anywhere, but we were hoping to gather the local crowd at least. The date wasnt set in stone by myself, rather by Lidio's schedule and our members availability. So far the local response has been great, and I think it will be a great success. I dont think anyone committed to our day that was going to Cleveland. In fact, Lidio and myself will be at Norwalk raceway on May 21st for Smackdown. So its a busy weekend. It wont be the first time, or last time, that Marauder events overlap. A lot of our Motor City events have been on the burner since last fall and winter. The three events posted by our club is just the tip of the iceburg, there are many more good solid events sponsored by our club the rest of the summer. I am hoping you find the time to hook up with us and we can have a chi-mo town meet someplace.

dwasson
04-24-2004, 07:29 PM
What time will this start? Are there any preparations I should make if I want to buy a chip and have it dynoed? Will we get a printout so that we can show the rotton kid with the Mustang what the big car can do? Do I need cash or will magic plastic work?

Hack Goby
04-25-2004, 08:31 AM
I will be down in Cleveland that weekend for the Rock-n-Roll hall of fame get together.We will get home Sat. late afternoon so I will do a drive by to see if anyone is still around.Have fun guys