PDA

View Full Version : How to fix the tape deck?

Motorhead350
01-23-2014, 04:24 PM
When I listen to XM though my tape deck it is distorted UNLESS I pull the wire attached to the cassette deck. The audio will become clear, but volume will slightly decrease. My cheap solution is to simply turn down the audio level off of the XM unit itself and crank the stock radio. It works, but I would rather fix this properly.

Could a simple tape deck cleaner be the solution or is something wrong with the tape deck?

Again, if I pull the cable or pull the cassette towards me on the passenger side (front right corner of tape deck) the distortion goes away, the audio level goes down, but it's clear as it should be.

Solutions?

BTW if your solution is a new radio, my reasoning for keeping the stock one is because I like using the buttons off of the steering wheel.

fastblackmerc
01-23-2014, 04:37 PM
When I listen to XM though my tape deck it is distorted UNLESS I pull the wire attached to the cassette deck. The audio will become clear, but volume will slightly decrease. My cheap solution is to simply turn down the audio level off of the XM unit itself and crank the stock radio. It works, but I would rather fix this properly.

Could a simple tape deck cleaner be the solution or is something wrong with the tape deck?

Again, if I pull the cable or pull the cassette towards me on the passenger side (front right corner of tape deck) the distortion goes away, the audio level goes down, but it's clear as it should be.

Solutions?

BTW if your solution is a new radio, my reasoning for keeping the stock one is because I like using the buttons off of the steering wheel.
First, clean the heads

Second, get an adapter to add an AUX input

Did you know you can go with a new headunit and still keep the steering wheel controls?

ctrlraven
01-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Have you tried a new cassette tape adapter? Seeing as you have to fiddle with the wire on it to get clear sound.

Another option would be to get an FM modulator setup which would eliminate the need for the cassette adapter.

You can get an adapter to allow you to keep steering wheel controls on an aftermarket radio. Plus a lot of new radios are Sirius or XM ready so you can continue to keep that service.

Motorhead350
01-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys!