PDA

View Full Version : How to run amp power wire through firewall??

Chayton
01-29-2014, 02:42 PM
So I want to install my sub setup from my crown vic. I think the big problem here is im running 0 guage power wire to the amp. Last time I wired it in the vic I pulled that rubbed gasket(passenger side footwell) out a little bit and ran the wire around it, which resulted in a lot of noise entering the cabin from the engine bay. How do most people wire it? it looks like a very tight fit where the factory wiring is going through. Could I use a dremel to remove some of the inside of that rubber gasket to make room? doesnt look like I could fit any power wire through the middle without modification. I used the forum search and google search, couldnt find a good thread (if someone could point me to a thread that'd be great)

ctrlraven
01-29-2014, 03:42 PM
I ran my 4 gauge wire through the factory rubber grommet on the passenger side firewall which is probably in the same location you ran the wire in the CV.

I just used a wire insert tool to run my wire through the grommet but since you are running a much larger gauge you could try and make a slice in the grommet then spray a little bit of WD-40 on the wire and push it through (WD-40 acts as a lube) then slap some RTV around the wire once you have ran it to seal it up.

martyo
01-29-2014, 04:36 PM
I ran my 4 gauge wire through the factory rubber grommet on the passenger side firewall which is probably in the same location you ran the wire in the CV.

I just used a wire insert tool to run my wire through the grommet but since you are running a much larger gauge you could try and make a slice in the grommet then spray a little bit of WD-40 on the wire and push it through (WD-40 acts as a lube) then slap some RTV around the wire once you have ran it to seal it up.

Yep, and just so you know, the wire insert tools come sized for larger (lower numerically) gauged wire too.

http://www.amazon.com/Thexton-THE476-Wire-Insertion-Combo/dp/B000K1IEAC/ref=pd_sim_auto_2

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41opw1Fj0LL.jpg

JoeBoomz
01-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Just drill it with increasing size bits until you get hole slightly smaller than the wire. Lots of room in that grommet but take your time so you don't hit wire or metal in the process. See stereo install link in my signature for pictures.

whitey
01-29-2014, 05:24 PM
you could drill a hole through the firewall, and buy a grommet kit from harbour freight or similiar to use to keep sharp edges from slicing the insulation. ive never done it so just a thought. underneath the car maybe to a hole drilled into the trunk? im sure the best way of doing it is what ctrlraven has already said

IwantmyMMnow!
01-29-2014, 05:35 PM

^^^ +1 ***

I used a thread posted on here by JoeBoomz as a guide....I think he has it linked in his signature....which he's already chimed in with....lol...

ctrlraven
01-29-2014, 05:36 PM
you could drill a hole through the firewall, and buy a grommet kit from harbour freight or similiar to use to keep sharp edges from slicing the insulation. ive never done it so just a thought. underneath the car maybe to a hole drilled into the trunk? im sure the best way of doing it is what ctrlraven has already said

Drilling a hole through the firewall itself should always be used as a last resort. Any vehicle I have ever ran wires through the firewall for was done via a factory rubber/plastic grommet. Even if it causes a ton more work I still refuse to drill the actual firewall but that's just me. :lol:

Running wires underneath the vehicle can be an option one when the vehicle is body on frame, I've ran the wires in a PCV pipe and sealed up with RTV before.

fastblackmerc
01-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Drilling a hole through the firewall itself should always be used as a last resort. Any vehicle I have ever ran wires through the firewall for was done via a factory rubber/plastic grommet. Even if it causes a ton more work I still refuse to drill the actual firewall but that's just me. :lol:

Running wires underneath the vehicle can be an option one when the vehicle is body on frame, I've ran the wires in a PCV pipe and sealed up with RTV before.

+1!!!!!
Never add more holes.

jparrie
01-29-2014, 09:33 PM
I prefer not to drill new holes as well, but 0 gauge cable is pretty big to be stuffing into the existing openings. If you decide to add another opening, I have some nice grommets that are designed for exactly that. If you need one, PM me and I'll hook you up.

justbob
01-29-2014, 10:29 PM
And what exactly is wrong with drilling holes? If you change your mind later and remove the wire just buy a rubber plug.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

guspech750
01-30-2014, 07:10 AM
And what exactly is wrong with drilling holes? If you change your mind later and remove the wire just buy a rubber plug.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Ding ding ding. Winner winner. Chicken dinner.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-30-2014, 07:39 AM
I didn't want to drill or deal with removing lots of carpeting etc, so I ran the power wire from the battery through under the passenger fender, down through under the rocker plastic piece and up the B pillar into the car via a rubber grommet there. You can then easily remove the rear plastic covering the edge of the carpet to hide back to the trunk behind the rear seat. Works for me but you can see part of the wire when the passenger door is open.

fastblackmerc
01-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Works for me but you can see part of the wire when the passenger door is open.

That ^^^^ wouldn't work for me.

Chayton
01-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Yeah I didnt want to drill holes on the firewall just because its my baby and I dont want to put holes in her lol. drill worked perfect on that grommet. Problem I ran into was running the remote wire? From what I read you just cant do it, it wont turn the amp on and you need to make a switch??

Zack
01-30-2014, 01:08 PM
FYI:
The plastic wire harness channel on the passenger side has 3 grooves. The center is unused and I run all my cables through it, right to the back seat and into the trunk.

IwantmyMMnow!
01-30-2014, 01:18 PM
I ran my 4ga power wire down the passenger side in the groove Zack mentioned to the trunk. Then I ran the remote wire and RCA cables from the head unit to under the driver's dash and down the driver's side in the groove into the trunk. My RCA cables were 25' long and had just enough to get to the amp, but I don't have much extra to work with...you'll need at least 25' to make back into the trunk, possibly more depending on where your put your amp.

fastblackmerc
01-30-2014, 04:47 PM
FYI:
The plastic wire harness channel on the passenger side has 3 grooves. The center is unused and I run all my cables through it, right to the back seat and into the trunk.

BINGO!!!

That's the correct way to run the wires. IIRC... it's the same on the drivers side.

massacre
01-30-2014, 07:18 PM
^^^ I do the same. Nothing wrong with drilling the firewall as long as you are smart about it and do it correctly and use the proper grommets.

Invader
02-04-2014, 04:59 PM
FYI:

That's what I was looking for! Thanks! :beer: