PDA

View Full Version : Kit update

Todd TCE
01-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Finished up the new brackets today for the 13 and 14" front kit. These new brackets will combine with the new FNSL6 caliper now on BOTH diameter kits!

The new brackets will be easier to fit with very minimal filing/grinding of the knuckle ears for clearance, allow for shimming both laterally and radially and they are now fully threaded- coming with M14 hardware. *That grinding is of the mass around the 14mm holes that can still interfere with the bracket- pretty simple stuff.

The new FNSL6 is what I offered on the 14" kit for a bit now- this caliper is a step up from the former BSL6 in body construction. It's a full flowed forging offering a stiffer design and a more sculpted look. And using it means no more wheel spacer is required. It's mounting is a tad lower than the former BSL6! The same 16mm pad is used in the FNSL6 as before. And unlike much older BSL6 kits the calipers come with pre applied black or red powder coat finish, not anodized.

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/images/FNSL6.jpg

But rather than combine brackets with two parts we've taken the high road and move to the new dedicated part. When built with the longer ARP stud and shipped with the barrel spacer it's an easy fix from one size to the other. For those of you with the 14" kit now using the "modular bracket" set up I'll offer you a set of these for a reasonable fee if you choose to swap them out. Sadly owners of the BSL6 kits for the past..uh...8yrs(?) will have to deal with the current set up- unless you want to spring for all new calipers to go with the brackets. Not a lot I can do there.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37 322&stc=1&d=1391040490

Shown here, the 13 on the left and 14 on the right. This is the entire hardware package for the bracket- M14 bolts and washers, M14 shims (thick and thin) and the radial shims for establishing the height of the pad when the caliper is fit on the stud. The 14" kit also coming with the longer stud and mount spacer.

Lastly, pricing has been updated a bit. The 13" kit is up a few bucks and the 14" kit is down a few bucks at $1589/1769 now. KITS PAGE (http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/marauder/kits-17/)

martyo
01-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Nice job Todd!!

JBeezy
01-29-2014, 06:10 PM
How soon are the kits avail for order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

guspech750
01-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Looks fantastic.

Man. Makes me want to sell my 13" kit and buy the 14" kit.

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

lji372
01-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Looks fantastic.

Man. Makes me want to sell my 13" kit and buy the 14" kit.

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

$8.oo :dunno:

Todd TCE
01-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Seems the bidding as started. This might take a bit...

I have parts for a black kit (slotted) on the shelf. About 5 sets of brackets.

burt ragio
01-29-2014, 07:39 PM
You have pulled out all stops once again. Where there is a will there is Wilwood. Nice job.

Todd TCE
01-30-2014, 07:47 AM
Thanks everyone. I think the new format is a nice evolution of the kit and should make things a bit easier for folks on the fence about making such changes.

babbage
01-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Wow those are sexy. Thanks for doing a kit.

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Yumm 14" fronts.. corvette brake status.

I may be interested when it is finalized, too bad there is grinding down involved... There are decent instructions provided with final shipped product correct?

slickster
01-30-2014, 09:15 AM
Ahhh one day.........

Todd TCE
01-30-2014, 09:41 AM
I may be interested when it is finalized, too bad there is grinding down involved... There are decent instructions provided with final shipped product correct?

:confused: When what's finalized?

Blame whomever made this casting so fat for the clearance work. A course file would probably do the deed in a few minutes tho. Certainly there are instructions- however with the change now I'm not really sure they'd even be needed any longer, it's about that simple. :beer:

Krytin
01-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Nice work Todd - AND no wheel spacer (did I read that right?)!

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-30-2014, 12:16 PM
:confused: When what's finalized?

Blame whomever made this casting so fat for the clearance work. A course file would probably do the deed in a few minutes tho. Certainly there are instructions- however with the change now I'm not really sure they'd even be needed any longer, it's about that simple. :beer:
Sweet I didn't navigate to TCE, and now see it's been updated "re-engineered" already. I thought this was going to take a while to get going.
:beer:

Todd TCE
01-30-2014, 12:30 PM
Give me your email address and zip code: I can invoice and ship you a black kit this afternoon! lol

lifespeed
02-12-2014, 04:42 PM
This is good news. I am unclear on how clearance to eliminate the 0.090" wheel spacer is accomplished. I have a 1.5 year old 14" FNSL6 kit on the front with the early bracket, and it did require the wheel spacer.

I will definitely buy the upgraded bracket. It is always nice to make maintenance more convenient and reduce the possibility of screw-ups by tire and alignment shop mechanics.

Todd TCE
02-12-2014, 04:56 PM
This is good news. I am unclear on how clearance to eliminate the 0.090" wheel spacer is accomplished. I have a 1.5 year old 14" FNSL6 kit on the front with the early bracket, and it did require the wheel spacer.

I will definitely buy the upgraded bracket. It is always nice to make maintenance more convenient and reduce the possibility of screw-ups by tire and alignment shop mechanics.

Hmm. Not quite as 'good news' as you may think.

How it's accomplished is quite simple: the FNSL6 body is a tad narrower by design compared to the BSL6 body.

The issue is not one of swapping to the new bracket- it's swapping to both the brackets and the calipers.

Todd TCE
02-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Dim 1.79" on the FNSL6

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/images/FNSL6%20mounting.jpg

Dim 1.91 (NOTE2) on BSL6

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/images/Billet_Superlite_6-cm-lg.jpg

Benefit .120" to the good.

DWSTANG67
02-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Nice upgrade to your brake kit i will be calling to order a 14 " kit in red

Todd TCE
02-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Nice, I'll look forward to hearing from you.

With regard to the caliper change it also allows one to upsize from 13 to 14" discs. But..ahh yeah...more money. I think anyone going all that way may be better off selling the 13" complete (less the hoses leave those in place) and buying an all new kit. Give the buyer the new hoses.

lifespeed
02-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Hmm. Not quite as 'good news' as you may think.

How it's accomplished is quite simple: the FNSL6 body is a tad narrower by design compared to the BSL6 body.

The issue is not one of swapping to the new bracket- it's swapping to both the brackets and the calipers.

I have the FNSL6 radial-mount calipers in front. They did not clear the wheels without the wheel spacer. I suppose there is some variation depending on where the calipers are centered over the rotor. Mine are centered on the rotor.

Todd TCE
02-12-2014, 06:03 PM
I have the FNSL6 radial-mount calipers in front. They did not clear the wheels without the wheel spacer. I suppose there is some variation depending on where the calipers are centered over the rotor. Mine are centered on the rotor.

The 14" kit could still have issues there. The extra 1/2" radius may well run into the area of the spokes that the 13" kit will not.

And I mis spoke on the bracket issue. I read it as the BSL6 lug mount. In the case of the FNSL6 yes all you'd need are the brackets. But at least folks can see what and why with the two images.

If want to replace just the brackets let me know and I'll see what I can come up with. You probably have the steel plate used for the 13" kit bolted to the Wilwood radial conversion bracket now I suspect. All of that turns into one piece.

92BlackGT
02-13-2014, 01:29 AM
hrmm, tempting. i hate the stock brakes even with your stainless braided hoses

lifespeed
02-13-2014, 10:14 AM
hrmm, tempting. i hate the stock brakes even with your stainless braided hoses

If you have to use the stock brakes stick with either Ford Police or Porterfield R4S pads. Hawk HPS pads definitely have pad transfer issues. I think ceramic in general are not a good idea as I don't believe they are capable of holding up to the temperatures generated by a heavy car with undersized brakes.

JBeezy
04-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Any pics of the 14" kit on a car with wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBeezy
04-02-2014, 05:05 PM

VegasRauder702
05-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Am looking for just a pair of mounting brackets

Todd TCE
05-12-2014, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=VegasRauder702;1386267]Am looking for just a pair of mounting brackets
/QUOTE]

13" $157ea
14" $169ea

VegasRauder702
05-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Wow.... It would be da 13"

Todd TCE
05-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Wow.... It would be da 13"

I have both of them in stock if you want a set.

Like Wilwood however; I'm not in the business of selling parts; just brake kits. No different than trying to buy a hard drive for a Dell laptop for example. Sum of the parts....