PDA

View Full Version : S/C pulley rubbing hood insulation

lotusstv
04-03-2004, 05:30 PM
My S/C pulley very slightly rubs the hood insulation. Anybody else have this? If so what have you done about it?

Steve

martyo
04-03-2004, 05:33 PM
My S/C pulley very slightly rubs the hood insulation. Anybody else have this? If so what have you done about it?

Steve

Notch the hood insualation. You can use a sheet rock knife to do the surgery.

jgc61sr2002
04-03-2004, 05:37 PM
What Marty said. ^^^^^^

blacksnake
04-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Yup, I have multiple elements that just touch the insulation. I cut the insulation to match the shape. No big deal.

MARAUDER S/C
04-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Mine does this, but since I have only put 1500 miles on since install the cut is about 1/4 inch long in the insulation and is hardly noticeable.

BillyGman
04-04-2004, 03:16 AM
I noticed on these cars that if the height of the hood bumpers isn't adjusted exactly correct, then the paper thin hood flexes and dances up and down a lot during highway speeds. And when that happens, you know that the hood is flexing the most right in the middle where it's least supported, which happens to be right in the area of the blower pulley on your cars. So that might have something to do w/the insulation hitting the pulley. The contact being made probably isn't even constant, but because of the hood flex, it might be intermittent, and after a thousand miles or so of driving, a mark begins to show on the insulation.

MERCMAN
04-04-2004, 05:45 AM
I noticed Nathan's car at the Columbus meet had the same problem, but the Trilogy #1 card didn't, whats up with that?

Lidio
04-04-2004, 07:39 AM
I think the hood liner sags more on some MM's then others.

You could always bump the boost and go to a smaller pulley ;)

Jerry Barnes
04-04-2004, 10:30 AM
O.K. Folks,

This is the situation with our cars. Our #1 car had to have a noch cut in the insulation pad because of the hood pad sagged after several months. There is no sign of the blower touching the hood, just lightly the hood pad. As others have mentioned, we cut a small piece out of the pad and everything was O.K.

The Computer Aided Design(CAD) data shows the pad being much thinner with ample room for clearance. Even the digital engine roll studies show no interference.

This only occurred on #1. #2 has a different hood pad that is much thinner and holds its shape. We have had no rubbing at all on #2. So it looks like Ford addressed the problem in later builds and used a different material that was thinner and holds its shape.

On the subject of the hood moving under high speeds, I agree. #1 has a hood issue and I am taking it to the dealer this week to fix the hood vibration and condensation in the headlights. The paint finish is very poor and I will asking them to address this also.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jerry

lotusstv
04-04-2004, 10:49 AM
I considered notching the insulation but wondered if it would then fray & get worse. I guess I'll give notching it a try. On the other Lidio idea sounds good( smaller pulley & more boost. Not that i don't have enough power now, but boost is addictive.

Thanks,

Steve