PDA

View Full Version : Zack & Mac Rear Control Arms Installed!

HwyCruiser
04-05-2004, 04:34 PM
I had to wait for my dealer's Svc Mgr to get back from vacation today to get these jewels installed, but the wait was well worth it!

Pete is a high performance modder on his own cars and he was without hesitation in installing rear control arms of such quality for me. He was even the first to comment that the Marauder's OEM stamped-steel control arms were poor for the duty. Believe me, if he would have raised an eyebrow, the parts would have been back in the UPS truck... but he took on the job no questions asked and they were finished in 2 hours.

If you read Mac's interview in Logan's homepage writeup, he speaks the truth about the much improved cornering without any harshness. I think the ride driving down the road is better than before... it just feels tighter.

The only way I can compare the improved cornering is to the 96' Dodge Ram Sport sb pickup that I had a Belltech 2/4 drop installed on a few years back. It would take a corner at 2 or 3 x the speed vs stock without feeling like it was going to break loose. The bad part was the beating it gave you on the expansion joints and potholes. I haven't felt any such adverse effects on my Marauder.

Yes, the stock bushings were reused. No, I can't see any stretching or anything else wrong with the OEMs. I don't have a 12 sec Marauder (yet), but the reduced body roll was what I was after. I got it. It's definately a solid rear sway bar type of improvement, but with mine it's now less body roll x 2!

Thanks Zack & Mac! :up:

- JD

BruteForce
04-05-2004, 04:44 PM
I had mine put in a couple weeks ago and have been experiencing the same great performance. Its like it is glued to the road while taking corners. :up:

CRUZTAKER
04-05-2004, 06:19 PM
This is great, Mac, and particularly Zack have been waiting for feedback.

Mine aren't on yet, but I'll post when I do so. :up:

Haggis
04-05-2004, 07:00 PM
I had Dennis install mine for me while he was doing the rest of the mods to my car. Right away I could tell the suspension was a lot tighter. The car handles alot better now.

Thanks Zack & Mac.

Thanks Dennis for all the work you did to improve my car this weekend. :up:

glassman99
04-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Waiting for mine to show up. :depress:

Zack
04-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Well Im glad to finally hear some positive input about the arms.
Im glad you are satisfied everyone.
To those waiting and paid, I couldnt ship them tonight because I stayed late at work.
They are boxed up in my back seat waiting to be shipped Tuesday evening.
Thanks again,
Zack

CRUZTAKER
04-15-2004, 05:36 AM
Mine are finally going on this saturday. And as Tom and I mentioned...yes, I had them powdercoated red.

Will post results after a visit to the local track.

HwyCruiser
04-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Even though the rear control arms were developed for a straight(er) launch for the S/C'ed Marauders, I've been learning more and more how much they've improved the cornering capabilities.

I was out a few days ago heading west just ready to take an empty clover-leaf exit onto the southbound highway when a new Monte Carlo / Impala (I can't tell the difference) decides he wants to swoop up from the rear and challenge me down the ramp.

I dropped off the OD and get it to a comfortable speed about 50 yards down the ramp while the goof behind me tries to keep up. Keeping one eye on the turn and the other in the rear view, I see him almost run off the road with dust a-flying and his nose to the ground. I was feeling good...

...until about half way down I felt the front tread roll, which scared me a little bit :eek:. I never felt that before in any car. But the "cat-like" reflexes :rolleyes: kicked in and with a very slight correction to the left and then back into the turn and off the throttle, the front tread was back into place and everything was good. I'm a little wiser now that I know the OEM tires will fail me before the rear end starts to hint.

I'm not going to say that my car was dead-level, but it had a very confident and firm lean, not a "oh-s*** I'm going way too fast" feel I was used to prior to the soid sway bar and subsequently the rear control arms.

I'm running a few more pounds of pressure in the front and tempting fate a little less until I get around to looking for some tires with a little more sidewall strength. Suggestions?

I guess until I get enough power to the rear tires to worry about straight launches, I'll just have to be happy enough with the improved handling in the corners. Poor me.

- JD

SergntMac
04-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Thank you, Cruiser, for your feedback. It's great to hear some news from the field. I know many more of y'all have got the control arms, why so quiet about them?

These control arms were NOT designed solely for straight forward control only. Not just for drag racing, K?

Since drag racing seems to be the central theme among us, the improved control arms fit into that scheme. However, as I have said from post one, the benefits are improved CONTROL across the board, not just in a straight line.

I've done more testing and "pushing the limits" in cornering than Zack has, and I've been in your shoes in the twisties, Cruiser. I've not been disappointed yet. Just lately, I took a few of us out for hard rides during our local dyno tune, and I heard some impressive ohhs and ahhs. Y'all need to find yourself a large parking lot that's empty on the weekends, and drive some outrageous circles. This car was not designed to just drive in a straight line, K?

High speed isn't required, maybe 40-50 MPH, or, so. But, cut the corners tight and hard, and you'll see what the benefits are. Once, or, twice, let go of the wheel, or, pull out of the throttle, and see if she doesn't line herself out for you. This is a major plus. No more sloppy azz end, no more fishing for straight ahead.

Spoke to Zack just a few minutes ago, we're sold out of prepared 4 arm kits. We need nine (9) more orders to start our last run at 395.00. Delivery time is under 3 weeks, get on board now. The price will be going up after June 1st, due to the cost of this quality of .125 wall steel.

E-mail zackmcgrath@hotmail.com to place your order.

Thanks again, Cruiser, and I'm glad you're okay. Didn't mean to turn this into a commercial.

BTW, stiffer sidewall performance is exactly why Kenny Brown selected the Pirelli line of tires for his Marauder S production. Way I hear it, so has Ford for their '05 OEM performance line. Good things happen for a reason, yes?

HwyCruiser
04-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks again, Cruiser, and I'm glad you're okay. Didn't mean to turn this into a commercial.

I'm fine, no complaint intended. Just shocked at how well the rear control arms do the job when put to the test! If anything, I was lulled into such a sense of comfort in the corner that I should have been thinking beyond the rear end (heehee).

I guess I just discovered the weakness that you refer to with the OEM BFG to Pirelli upgrade. Thankfully my dumb luck kicked in.

Commercial? Hell, I thought I was doing the commercial. I love these things. Everyone buy a set, best thing for the Marauder at twice the price since the badgeless grill :up:.

- JD

CRUZTAKER
04-15-2004, 06:03 PM
...until about half way down I felt the front tread roll, which scared me a little bit :eek:. - JD
Hey JD, next time you feel the front come loose, you may also try an old nascar trick that also works in rain and snow as well.

When you feel the front come loose, steer left/right quickly in short strokes continously until you feel the front grab and drive on...

Another fact many folks don't know is that in a rear drive car in such a situation as the rears break loose, one can steer out of the swing as normal while applying a little gas.

Nice job though! I love out cornering other large cars with our new and improved setup. The overall lowered stance and eibach spring on mine allow me to chase those pesky ricers through corners and swallow them when the road comes straight.:up:

glassman99
04-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Received mine and took them immediately to the powdercoater.....RED of course! I will have them installed along with some other mods in two weeks. Looking forward to the improvement! Impressed with the quality! :rock:

Zack
04-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Received mine and took them immediately to the powdercoater.....RED of course! I will have them installed along with some other mods in two weeks. Looking forward to the improvement! Impressed with the quality! :rock:

Thanks for the compliment.
Again, we can sell them BARE if you want to do your own powdercoating.

HwyCruiser- Cant thank you enough for the positive feedback.

This will be the last run of 10 at $395.00.
Pricing has to go up a little now that the market is 'saturated', but Mac and I knew this was going to happen..
Get your order in now, the phones are open.

CRUZTAKER
04-17-2004, 03:21 PM
I had my red M/Z control arms installed today. The first thing I did was to leave a calling card in Rush's lot. I know, he said no burnouts:depress: ....but my intention was to test a firm launch. OMG! I litterally had to back out of it. From a dead stop punch, my MM has always let a nice 3-4 patch. This was my first that went nearly 30 feet before I freaked and let off. The rear is extremely planted now. Rear end stiffness has increased dramatically as well.

I am excited to try the 255 wide tires Mac sent me for track applications. As soon as the spare wheels come back from the powdercoaters, I will try my new setup at Dragway42. I am hoping that I will finally run 13.5 with the new improved planting, and slicks.

Thanks for your efforts Mac and Zack that will definately help those of us who like to run the local tracks!

Zack
04-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Glad you like them Barry, more fun is sure to come.

On a side note, I have 1 prepayment for the next run of control arms.
If I get 6 orders, I will shell out the dough for the remaining 4 sets so they can get produced.
After this set of 10, the new price will be $450 shipped, which is still dirt cheap.
Act now...
zackmcgrath@hotmail.com

valleyman
04-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Finally (finally!) got around to installing the Mac&Zack control arms. Yikes! what a difference. There's no added stiffness to the ride but in the corners the back end feels glued to the road. I have no idea what the physics or mechanics are that causes this, but it does. And for all you ham-handed goobers like me, the install is actually quite easy, including swapping out the bushings. Thank you Mac and Zack.

03SILVERSTREAK
04-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Glad you like them Barry, more fun is sure to come.

On a side note, I have 1 prepayment for the next run of control arms.
If I get 6 orders, I will shell out the dough for the remaining 4 sets so they can get produced.
After this set of 10, the new price will be $450 shipped, which is still dirt cheap.
Act now...
zackmcgrath@hotmail.com:bows: :bows: :bows:

03SILVERSTREAK
05-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Folks-Today I had the control arms installed today and in the short time of driving back home , I feel a much better ride and handling then before . I am looking foward to further driving down to work today to further test these arms but if they are going to hold the road and turns as when I left the shop all I can say is :bows: :banana: :up: :bounce: :beer: :rock: :banana2: :burnout: . I'd like to thank Zack & Mac for there idea , Mike Lopez for Building them and James for the professional install at Pro-Tech . Pics posted in the Gallery... ;)

Marauder57
05-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Gosh Darnit!!!! Can you guys shut the pie hole! How am I supposed to get anything done around here knowing that I have these great control arms sitting next to my desk???? Have you no mercy? :mad2:

I got my control arms about a week ago....and I have just been really busy....I was planning on getting them put on by Dennis next time I head up there.....but hearing how great they are is killing me.....it sounds like they are delivering the exact performance I was looking for....keeping that nice rear...(But big rear) of our cars on the pavement.....

I am looking forward to these bad boys....I peek in the box each day.....I take them out caress them.....*cough*, *Cough*.,..OK...um....for what it is worth thest things feel some kind of sturdy......and very dense......

Looking forward to getting these on....thanks again Zack and Mac!

martyo
05-28-2004, 02:24 PM
for what it is worth thest things feel ......very dense......

See, whether Mac likes it or not, the ccontrol arms that he and Zack made have a lot in common with Todd.

Marauder57
05-28-2004, 02:35 PM
See, whether Mac likes it or not, the ccontrol arms that he and Zack made have a lot in common with Todd.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was good Marty...very good...... :lol:

TripleTransAm
05-28-2004, 08:04 PM
:bows: :bows: :bows:

TAF
05-28-2004, 08:44 PM
So...what does this mean ^^^...

Oh...I get it...longer than I should be...and hard as steel...

RCSignals
05-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Marauder57
for what it is worth thest things feel ......very dense......

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So...what does this mean ^^^...

Oh...I get it...longer than I should be...and hard as steel...

It's a fault of the quote system here Todd.

Never fear, we know which words marty referred to.....

MERCMAN
08-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Had my new control arms installed today. First of all, thanks to Mark for his generous donation of them, and a big thanks to Zack for installing them.

Now the meat of the post,,

It was @ 14 miles from Zack's house to the restaurant, it took me all of 5 minutes to feel the difference these control arms make. I have to quote Mr T." I pity the fool who don't have the new control arms" I was a skeptic, but HOO-HA, yeahus, I am a believer now. Now, no more arms from M&Z are available, but get the Metco's. I am sure they will do the same. Now the bad news. Another movie quote" Just when I thought I was out, they sucked me back in"(Godfather3) Now I HAVE to get a sway bar to compliment the control arms. Then I suppose the watts link as well. Will the modding ever end? Thanks Again to Mark, and to Mac and Zack for this great product. :up:

By the way, the car feels like it is on rails,,, only way I can describe it

rtmike
08-26-2004, 12:35 AM
I wanna set of these famed control arms.

When will Mac and Zack make some more?

THanks, Mike

Had my new control arms installed today. First of all, thanks to Mark for his generous donation of them, and a big thanks to Zack for installing them.

It was @ 14 miles from Zack's house to the restaurant, it took me all of 5 minutes to feel the difference these control arms make. I have to quote Mr T." I pity the fool who don't have the new control arms" I was a skeptic, but HOO-HA, yeahus, I am a believer now. Now, no more arms from M&Z are available, but get the Metco's. I am sure they will do the same. Now the bad news. Another movie quote" Just when I thought I was out, they sucked me back in"(Godfather3) Now I HAVE to get a sway bar to compliment the control arms. Then I suppose the watts link as well. Will the modding ever end? Thanks Again to Mark, and to Mac and Zack for this great product. :up:

GordonB
08-26-2004, 08:44 AM
Greetings,
Here's my testimony. I now have 2 cars with both M&Z control arms AND the larger rear sway bar from DR and all I can say is WOW!!!
I drove 'ol Blue to Indy, Michigan and then home and it was WONDERFUL.
Got home and did the same install in the new DTR MM and now I have a real matching pair!!
Even if you don't race which I do not, the much improved handling is well worth the money and effort. :rock: :2thumbs:

GordonB

John F. Russo
08-30-2004, 07:41 AM

"it took me all of 5 minutes to feel the difference these control arms make."
What specific actions did you take with your car that made you sense the difference?

MM03MOK
08-30-2004, 07:53 AM
"it took me all of 5 minutes to feel the difference these control arms make."
What specific actions did you take with your car that made you sense the difference?John, any cornering, even at moderate speed, will prove a substantial improvement. No lean at all. A "must have" for everyone. It's what we should have expected from the factory. They won't improve your ET, but they make cornering all the more fun!!

MERCMAN
08-30-2004, 08:04 AM
Just what Mary said,, it only took an entrance and an exit off of a toll road to show me the difference. I find now I can do things (cornering) that I could not do before without sweating!!

John F. Russo
08-31-2004, 07:58 AM
MM03MOK
John, any cornering, even at moderate speed, will prove a substantial improvement. No lean at all. A "must have" for everyone. It's what we should have expected from the factory. They won't improve your ET, but they make cornering all the more fun!!

MERCMAN
Just what Mary said,, it only took an entrance and an exit off of a toll road to show me the difference. I find now I can do things (cornering) that I could not do before without sweating!!

Have both of you replaced your rear sway bar with Reinhart's version already?

MM03MOK
08-31-2004, 08:01 AM
Have both of you replaced your rear sway bar with Reinhart's version already?Yes, but the much bigger difference was the addition of the CAs.

John F. Russo
08-31-2004, 08:10 AM
Yes, but the much bigger difference was the addition of the CAs.

You were uncanningly fast with that response.

Am I sure that you are not peeking in my office window even though all my blinds are closed?

Don't answer so fasr this time!

Thank you anyway.

MERCMAN
08-31-2004, 08:26 AM
Have both of you replaced your rear sway bar with Reinhart's version already?

I have not replaced the sway bar yet, it is next on my list. I am going with the Addco, which is the one Dennis offers.