PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio meet ups? Let's start one :)

BadMan
03-31-2014, 04:18 AM
Looking for other mm owners in the San Antonio area. Let's plan a meet, take a cruise and take some pictures.

Dre1842
05-13-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm up for this..........whenever I'm in town.

TooManyFords
05-14-2014, 05:15 AM
I'll be dragging ProRauder down there to CG Fabrication in about 4 weeks. Keep me posted.

kariamack
05-14-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm here and also ready whenever

88LTDCV351
12-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Planning on being in Texas the week of the 22nd and 29th. Mostly in the Dallas area. Might go see the Alamo. What else do you guys recommend?

Dre1842
12-18-2014, 08:12 AM
What are you looking to do?

88LTDCV351
12-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Looking to visit the Alamo and other surrounding sites. I like historical sites. Also like good state parks/forests to hike at and see the scenery. Good Americana places to eat. Or Mexican or Italian. Would love to meet up with a few Marauder guys for a good lunch or chat. Although, I'll mostly be in the Dallas area the two weeks where her relatives are except I pushed for planning to venture out for the Alamo. My girlfriend likes chinese, Korean, Japanese, Phillipino, etc. food. Any suggestions there would also be helpful.

TP Derrick D
12-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Looking to visit the Alamo and other surrounding sites. I like historical sites. Also like good state parks/forests to hike at and see the scenery. Good Americana places to eat. Or Mexican or Italian. Would love to meet up with a few Marauder guys for a good lunch or chat. Although, I'll mostly be in the Dallas area the two weeks where her relatives are except I pushed for planning to venture out for the Alamo. My girlfriend likes chinese, Korean, Japanese, Phillipino, etc. food. Any suggestions there would also be helpful.
Don't mean to throw a curve ball to you about your plans but you do know how big Texas is right? From Dallas to San Antonio is not right down the street it is 275 miles.
I saw your post in the Dallas section also.
http://www.travelmath.com/drive-distance/from/Dallas,+TX/to/San+Antonio,+TX

wannaMM
12-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Have a son graduating the Air Force Boot Camp in San Antonio at the end of the year...Going to make it a "Mini" vacation and see the sights in San Antonio.
We are all looking forward to it...Alamo,Sea World, A world class zoo...
I'll keep my eyes open for Marauders....

88LTDCV351
12-18-2014, 01:06 PM
I understand its a big state. It takes 6 hours to drive to L.A. and 8 hours to drive to Vegas from the Bay Area in Cali. But I love road trips. I won't be driving the Marauder sadly but we will have a rental. We have two weeks so we plan on driving to San Antonio to spend a few days there. But will be in Dallas mostly. I hope to see the JFK museum in Dallas and still thinking up other things to do there.

88LTDCV351
12-18-2014, 01:09 PM
We were actually planning on driving Route 66 the way and back but my girlfriend killed it. I've driven cross country before and was pushing for it but I lost in the end. ha ha Oh well, route 66 another day someday.

TP Derrick D
12-18-2014, 01:52 PM
I understand its a big state. It takes 6 hours to drive to L.A. and 8 hours to drive to Vegas from the Bay Area in Cali. But I love road trips. I won't be driving the Marauder sadly but we will have a rental. We have two weeks so we plan on driving to San Antonio to spend a few days there. But will be in Dallas mostly. I hope to see the JFK museum in Dallas and still thinking up other things to do there.
OK cool, I just know people that's not from here didn't seem to realize the Texas triangle of Dallas/Ft Worth , Houston & San Antonio wasn't just down the street from each other let along going to El Paso. But Cali is a big, long north to south state so you know. I guess its mainly from smaller states where 275 miles will put you completely thur that state and 1/2 way thur another. I will be going out of state to visit my family during that time so I can't hook up with you but enjoy your visit. By the way I mentioned the Cowboys stadium, if you go stop by the wax museum in Grand Prairie , its on I-30 on the way to the stadium before you get to Arlington. The longhorn cattle drive in Ft Worth stockyards is a big attraction, along with Sundance Square in downtown also if you go to Ft Worth.

TP Derrick D
12-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Have a son graduating the Air Force Boot Camp in San Antonio at the end of the year...Going to make it a "Mini" vacation and see the sights in San Antonio.
We are all looking forward to it...Alamo,Sea World, A world class zoo...
I'll keep my eyes open for Marauders....
Take the "boat" ride on the Riverwalk to see sights from a different view, go up in the Tower of the Americas(the space needle type tower) built for the World Fair in 1968

88LTDCV351
12-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I know how that is. I'm originally from Indiana and you could drive from one end to another in no time and then be in Illinios or Michigan or Ohio or Kentucky before you know it. But I did drive through Ohio and was surprised how long that took. I was on my way to Monticello, Gettysburg, Mount Vernon etc. I didn't know that Ohio was that big, lol.

I'll make sure to add those other things to my list but still got to run it by my girlfriend.

wannaMM
12-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Take the "boat" ride on the Riverwalk to see sights from a different view, go up in the Tower of the Americas(the space needle type tower) built for the World Fair in 1968

Thanks...Will Do....

TooManyFords
12-20-2014, 07:45 AM
go up in the Tower of the Americas(the space needle type tower) built for the World Fair in 1968
This was a good time. My parents took us kids to the worlds fair in 1968 and it was amazing! I was 8 at the time and remember it like yesterday. I think I still have the souvenir of the tower.

TooManyFords
12-20-2014, 07:46 AM
We were actually planning on driving Route 66 the way and back but my girlfriend killed it. I've driven cross country before and was pushing for it but I lost in the end. ha ha Oh well, route 66 another day someday.
Girlfriends can be replaced... Route 66 cannot.

SID210SA
12-20-2014, 04:16 PM
If anyone visiting needs any info or help getting places....let me know...even though I dont have my Marauder anymore, I am still around.

Feel free to give me a call 210-288-0004.....I am a great host...ask any one thats been her to visit...

Mike

TP Derrick D
12-20-2014, 08:35 PM
This was a good time. My parents took us kids to the worlds fair in 1968 and it was amazing! I was 8 at the time and remember it like yesterday. I think I still have the souvenir of the tower.
We the same age..LOL, when I was in the Army I was stationed at Ft Sam Houston twice , 1981 & 1985 for training 2 months each time so I saw a lot of the downtown area that we could reach by bus (trainees weren't allowed to have cars & taxis were expensive unless 4 of us split cost) when I could. Then I was stationed at Ft Hood 1989-'92 in Killeen about 120 miles away and went a couple more times to the bigger attractions but its been more than 22 years since I was last there. The Alamo Dome was under construction because I took pics of it from up in the Tower of Americas. I'm sure a lot has changed since then, maybe I need to take a trip down for a weekend...

88LTDCV351
12-22-2014, 11:49 AM
We arrived in Dallas last night. We are planning our drive to San Antoinio and she wants to do the Riverwalk.

88LTDCV351
12-24-2014, 11:27 AM
We are driving to Austin on Friday. Will stay the night there. We have a few sites planned while we are there

88LTDCV351
12-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Spent yesterday in Austin. Now in San Antonio. Going to walk from the hotel to the alamo

88LTDCV351
12-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Heading to Houston today

88LTDCV351
12-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Ok, the girlfriend decided she wasn't up for houston. will save the space museum and uss Texas for another trip. We are back near the Dallas area.

BadMan
12-29-2014, 06:26 PM
We can all head out to Biff's sometime or go to any of the other meets here in SA. Maybe when it gets warmer we can go to Austin, but if anyone here is in SA lets link up. My Instagram account is "TheeChubMac" if you wanna contact me :) sorry for the late reply gentleman, thanks.

88LTDCV351
01-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Ok, here is kind of how our trip has gone so far. We ate first night at Steak 'n Shake. The next day we ate ate babe's chicken in frisco. I liked it. We didn't venture out until Xmas when we went to the Gaylord hotel for the ice frosty the snowman exhibit but spent most of the time up until the day after Xmas we spent time with my gf's family. we drove past the Waco Texas ranger museum but the gf didn't want to stop. We were going to stop at some state parks for some hiking and scenery but we decided to keep driving. We arrived in Austin and checked out the Texas armed forces museum. I liked it. Then we ate at some roach coach to try some Texas BBQ. I wasn't impressed with the BBQ food. Then we stopped at the George Washington carver museum but it was closed the week of x-mas. Then we went to the LBJ library and museum. Very nice. Next day we got some doughnuts at round rock then went to natural bridges wildlife ranch safari. After that we visited The Alamo in San Antonio. Walked through the mall and Riverwalk. did the boat ride on the Riverwalk and then did dinner at The Tower of the Americas. the next day we were going to go to Houston but the gf wanted to head back. We passed by the dr pepper museum and dicks classic car museum but we decided not to stop. A few days later we went to Fort Worth for the rodeo and to see the stockyards. We had riskys BBQ but I wasn't impressed. we did go to a comic shop in Plano that was really cool.

88LTDCV351
01-01-2015, 05:30 PM
I wanted to check out the Missions in San Antonio but we ran out of time. I'm going to try and push for the civil war museum in Fort Worth and the train museums in Palestine and frisco but not sure we will end up having enough time before we fly back to California.

SID210SA
01-07-2015, 06:22 AM
Damn...I missed yall....sorry

For bbq I would say that Rudy's BBQ and country store is pretty good....they have 3 locations here and some in Austin. The Missions are neat...but you saw the best one in the Alamo....I liked the Dr. Pepper museum in Waco.

Hope you had a wonderful trip to my great state!

Mike

88LTDCV351
01-07-2015, 11:04 AM
Yes, I saw a number of Rudy's, even one nearer Frisco. I suggested we eat there but we never got around to it. We mostly ate with my girlfriend's family. They are Fillipino so we have mostly ate Phillipine food. Like this:
https://screen.yahoo.com/filipino-hangover-cure-not-faint-141742205.html (https://screen.yahoo.com/filipino-hangover-cure-not-faint-141742205.html) I was surprised there was such a decent size Asian community in Texas. And a lot of Asian tourists everywhere we went. San Antonio seems a very popular tourist area which surprised me.

I was expecting to see more cowboys, lol. I think I only saw two cowboys while I was in Texas. One at the airport and one at the Gaylord hotel while we were in line for Frosty the Snowman. They wore button down shirts, jeans, cowboy hat, and cowboy boots.

Actually, we did see one boy at the airport on the way back with a cowboy hat.

Oh, actually I did get to see the cowboys. They were at the wild west show at the Fort Worth Stockyards. Those cowboys did some gun and lasso tricks while riding horses. That was neat. Unfortunately, after the wild west show it was like Fort Worth rolls up the sidewalks at 5 PM. So couldn't check out all the gift shops but Risky's BBQ was still open so we could eat.

SID210SA
01-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Sounds like a good ol time!! Yeah...lots of tourists here....we see them all the time...

we have quite a bit to do here....hard to fit it all in even in a month...stuff like Sea World, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, a 1/4 mile drag strip, a dirt race track, minor league , baseball, professional basketball, minor league hockey, minor league soccer, an ice rink, and now an aqarium that just opened up. The tower you saw, food is pretty good up there....natural bridge caverns...saw you went to the wild life ranch...thats cool too. and lots of other stuff...

BadMan
01-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Headed out to Biff's tonight on I-35 and Topperwein behind the Wataburger if anyone wants to join. Cool cars, chill ppl.

88LTDCV351
01-24-2015, 10:08 AM
I wish I knew about this during my trip: http://www.space.com/22189-star-trek-shuttlecraft-galileo-houston-museum.html I would have pushed harder to visit Houston.

88LTDCV351
12-19-2017, 10:14 AM
The wife and I are visiting her cousins again in Texas this Xmas break. Going to get tired of Philpino food so got to get out and get a nice juicy burger. :-P Going to try Whataburger this year since I've never been to one.

Also, going to hit the space stuff in Houston. Also want to check out the Texas Ranger Museum and the Dr Pepper musuem.

What else to do in Houston guys?

jsignorelli
12-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Do you believe in magic?

Three years ago, MG Driver sent out a similar question about anyone in the Cologne area. My wife and I were going to visit Germany and we were going to be in Cologne for an extended stay. As a result, Euro-Marauderville was born.

On December 29th, My wife (Joanne) and I fly to San Antonio for the week. We will be attending the San Antonio Mustang Club meeting on January 3rd. We are booked into the Marriott River Walk through January 6th. My Mustang club sent several thousand dollars to the San Antonio Mustang Club for distribution to Mustang owners in the Houston area who lost everything due to Hurricane Harvey. They sent a thank you with the invite to anyone who might go to their club meeting. They would make us honorary members of the SAMC. My wife and I booked our flight that night, and the hotel an hour later.
Send me a personal email and I'll send you my cell phone number. Perhaps we can meet up the week we are in Texas.

Keith
12-19-2017, 02:42 PM

I just drove about 4-5 hours of Route 66 through OK, KS, and MO. I recommend this little book for you if you ever drive the Mother Road:

ez66 Guide For Travelers, by Jerry McClanahan

He is a historian of the Route who runs a museum dedicated to Rte 66 in Oklahoma. This book has it all, and is quite affordable. It is set up for a driving trip.

Doing at least some of Route 66 was something I wanted to do for a long time. Having done it, at least part of it, was somewhat disappointing. The reason is that the attractions came few and far between. You'd go an hour before you saw anything out of the ordinary. And, if your companion is not a crackerjack navigator, you will guarantee arguments. In many places, the old Route really zigs and zags. However, for anybody who has a cool car - and who in the Marauder Site doesn't? - and who loves Americana, give it a shot. What is better than wigwam motels and iconic 50's murals?

Keith, Rookie
04 DTR stock so far

rocco313
12-20-2017, 09:34 AM
im in fortworth would love to meet more of the group

88LTDCV351
12-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Looks like the wife might not let me out much. Just sitting here mostly with her family. Wish I could get out and hear some English for awhile. lol

I did try Whataburger. Was OK. I think I'd rather have my steak n shake or In N Out. But I did like the Whataburger patty melt. I'm saving one for later.

courtmarshall
12-27-2017, 07:49 AM
Any interest for the Houston area for the 30th?

Trip to Space Center?

Brewery tour?

Pearland Town Center has a sizeable parking lot that has been known to host a car show or two.

Reply if any interest.

Thanks

Court

mrjones
02-25-2018, 08:43 AM
I'm a couple of months late to this, but did this ever happen?