PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild or go Cobra swap?

BadMan
04-16-2014, 05:51 PM
So I'm having a small tick in the engine (148k) nothing major just probably a bearing or lifter/follower issue, most likely bearing. So the deal at first was fix the knock, but then I started thinking the engine is going to be torn apart why not rebuild it? Great shop here in San Antonio that goes by Kotzer Racing said they will completely rebuild the engine and even make it run better then factory (raising the compression, port and polish) for around $4,000 max (again what he called "crazy price" which I'm guessing not a regural rebuild). What do you guys think the range in price should be on a rebuild? Going to do this sometime by the end of this year.

myrodr
04-16-2014, 05:58 PM
looked into having my engine rebuilt about a year ago, forged pistons,crank,.20over was $4100.That was me doing removal and install.

Jeffonebuck
04-16-2014, 06:16 PM
So I'm having a small tick in the engine (148k) nothing major just probably a bearing or lifter/follower issue, most likely bearing. So the deal at first was fix the knock, but then I started thinking the engine is going to be torn apart why not rebuild it? Great shop here in San Antonio that goes by Kotzer Racing said they will completely rebuild the engine and even make it run better then factory (raising the compression, port and polish) for around $4,000 max (again what he called "crazy price" which I'm guessing not a regural rebuild). What do you guys think the range in price should be on a rebuild? Going to do this sometime by the end of this year.. 4k might get your motor built but I would add an easy grand to it for the little things your not focused on ; you might want to add a cooling mod, new water pump, hoses, fluids powdercoating, additional gaskets, t-stat, boil out the radiator, tools, bolts&nuts, motor mounts, plugs, coils, etc etc etc

Sent from my Tapatalk using Morris Code

tbone
04-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Forged lower someday for me.

Bigdogjim
04-16-2014, 06:48 PM
I would go with a Ford crate motor, looking at a 5.0 myself.

Spectragod
04-16-2014, 06:49 PM
What do you guys think the range in price should be on a rebuild?

It would all depend on the parts used for the rebuild, not everything i equal, nor equal in price, 4k to 20k, depends on the application.

slickster
04-16-2014, 07:06 PM
Forge bottom/cobra swap. For a coin 5.0 swap

BadMan
04-16-2014, 10:18 PM
Yeah he was telling me depending on what he uses again for example the crank if still good etc. but the main stuff would all be brand new and better then stock. And Jeff you make a very good point, most definitely going to add the cooling mod. Might sound crazy but I don't really want to upgrade to a 5.0 I want to keep the 4.6 in there then later add some wreeeeeee to it lol wouldn't mind looking into a terminator swap but I really want to rebuild this one so I know the true condition of the car (don't know if that makes the best sense). Why not start new right...

champ1173
04-17-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm having mine rebuilt for $3000. All new parts, machining block n heads, and removing n installing the engine. I thought about upgrading the cams, but that would add around a grand more to da final cost.

jwibbity
04-17-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm having mine rebuilt for $3000. All new parts, machining block n heads, and removing n installing the engine. I thought about upgrading the cams, but that would add around a grand more to da final cost.

Are these going to be forged parts or at stock specs??

71cyclone
04-17-2014, 09:26 AM
I would go with a Ford crate motor, looking at a 5.0 myself.
Dollar /per Pound best deal :banana:in the Crate !!! Ford Factory deal

champ1173
04-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Are these going to be forged parts or at stock specs??

Stock specs from my understanding. Da guy said it would only take him 2 weeks, but I don't even know if he's pulled it yet! I'm gonna check it out this weekend, take some pics, and maybe grab da cam covers to paint.

BadMan
04-17-2014, 03:35 PM
$3000 not bad. Idk if the guy meant with forged parts though I think he did. I'm going to call him soon to get more details on to what he plans on doing and price. I got to look into how much that cooling mod cost.

whitey
04-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Stock specs from my understanding. Da guy said it would only take him 2 weeks, but I don't even know if he's pulled it yet! I'm gonna check it out this weekend, take some pics, and maybe grab da cam covers to paint.

If your having it rebuilt, why not go with forged internals? Doesnt make sense not to, unless it's just going to forever be the standard grocery getter. If he hasnt started yet, tell him you want forged parts, otherwise if you ever want to make high power safely, youll be paying again to have forged parts put in it. Just my. 02.

BadMan
04-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Yeah true. Hopefully that price includes forged stuff cause $4000 for standard crap is way pricy in my opinion. But I will most definitely prefer forged since I want to put a blower on him in the future 8)

champ1173
04-17-2014, 07:16 PM
If your having it rebuilt, why not go with forged internals? Doesnt make sense not to, unless it's just going to forever be the standard grocery getter. If he hasnt started yet, tell him you want forged parts, otherwise if you ever want to make high power safely, youll be paying again to have forged parts put in it. Just my. 02.

Forged definitely would be better. I'm gonna find out a lil bit more, on what's going into it, tomorrow.

Jeffonebuck
04-17-2014, 10:16 PM
It would all depend on the parts used for the rebuild, not everything i equal, nor equal in price, 4k to 20k, depends on the application.

I think these figures are in line. 4k being a basic parts and machine work build , would you have any kind of warranty ? Would your builder be looking out for you and replace or reuse parts that he thought could go a few more miles ? You have to have a mechanic that you have built a trust in and will look out for you. If your just rebuilding and going to stay NA and want to just enjoy this car find a decent salvage motor or invest in a good reman. If I wanted to spend the extra cash for some serious Hp i would trailor my car up and take it to some of the quality mechanics we have on this site

Sent from my Tapatalk using Morris Code

The Great
05-28-2014, 03:53 PM
You've peaked my interest but I wouldn't know where to start or how to go about something like that.

justbob
05-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Don't even think about a Cobra block unless you are either F/I or you are looking to scale your performance waaaayy back..

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Jeronimojc
05-28-2014, 04:23 PM
How about an Aluminator stroker short block for $4,600 delivered and with Ford warranty? The Aluminator 46X comes with forged internals, block bored and stroked to 5.0L. You keep your old block.

My take is if the plan is to add boost then this may be a good choice. If the plan is to stay NA, then rebuilding is probably a better way to go. If you do have time and knowledge/skill, then re-building is probably the cheapest way whether SC or NA.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92037