PDA

View Full Version : Under dash wire - what is it for?

stevengerard
04-21-2014, 01:09 PM
This grey wire with the black connector pointing down towards the carpet is hanging from under my dash, really haven't climbed under there yet but thought someone might know just by seeing it. Wonder if the dealer disconnected it when they were changing the LCM last week. What is it for and where does it connect to?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38 101&stc=1&d=1398110871

RF Overlord
04-21-2014, 01:20 PM
It's a vacuum line that would have connected to the automatic parking brake release if Ford hadn't decontented that feature from 2004 cars. It probably was dislodged from its hiding place by the dealer work.

stevengerard
04-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks, I didn't immediately see anything to plug it into, I thought maybe I'd have to go deeper up into the dashboard to find the answer. Now I'll just tuck it in and not worry about it

justbob
04-21-2014, 02:04 PM
It makes for am easy boost gauge hook up or a simple wire chase. :D

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

fastblackmerc
04-21-2014, 02:33 PM
It is a connection for the parking brake release, like Bob said.

There is nothing it connects too. Look for a white plastic "T". It will be flat / slightly concave on the top and a barbed end that goes into a bracket. It's close to the OBDII connector / LCM. It's just taped to the "T", that's why it's hanging there... the tape broke. Either retape it or get two small zip ties to secure it.

stevengerard
04-21-2014, 02:48 PM

"Since 2004"

I was really hoping it would add 100 more hp to my rear wheels, oh well.

ctrlraven
04-21-2014, 02:53 PM

"Since 2004"
Does it really make for an easy boost gauge hook up?

justbob
04-21-2014, 04:11 PM
IIRC I used the end by the vacuum manifold under the wiper tray to plug into the boosted vacuum tee I installed on Mikes car. The interior side I plugged the Hobbs switch onto.

I just remember thinking between that and it only having that tiny light holder under the drivers dash (instead of the full size cover) that the 04's make it too easy to work on!

"Since 2004"

vegasmarauder
04-22-2014, 02:14 AM
It was taped to a black push type wire holder that is probably still on the LCM mounting bracket right next to the diagnostic connector. The tape would dry out and the line would fall down even without disturbing the LCM. The engine side end is disconnected and plugged.

By the way, 300Bs still had the vacuum switch on the shifter, 04's did not. So, you could add the brake release by getting the vacuum lines and the pull off diaphagm for the E-brake assembly. The diaphragm was not sold seperate, but is the same on all 99-03 CV/MGM's. It slides back and 90 degrees out off the brake linkage. Even if you don't want to get the actual vacuum lines you can just run rubber tubing and get the same thing.

I did a write up in 2004 on converting E-brakes in B's to A's with all the part numbers. It still should be on here somewhere.

WhatsUpDOHC
04-22-2014, 03:51 AM
It was taped to a black push type wire holder that is probably still on the LCM mounting bracket right next to the diagnostic connector. The tape would dry out and the line would fall down even without disturbing the LCM. The engine side end is disconnected and plugged.

By the way, 300Bs still had the vacuum switch on the shifter, 04's did not. So, you could add the brake release by getting the vacuum lines and the pull off diaphagm for the E-brake assembly. The diaphragm was not sold seperate, but is the same on all 99-03 CV/MGM's. It slides back and 90 degrees out off the brake linkage. Even if you don't want to get the actual vacuum lines you can just run rubber tubing and get the same thing.

I did a write up in 2004 on converting E-brakes in B's to A's with all the part numbers. It still should be on here somewhere.

Here you go

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6553

fastblackmerc
04-22-2014, 05:04 AM

Here you go

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6553

I did the addition thanks to the great instructions by vegasmarauder. Sourced the switch from Ford and the e brake assembly (new) from eBay. Total cost was less than $60.00.

vegasmarauder
04-25-2014, 01:11 AM
The photos in the post disappeared some time ago. I have some posted in the member photo gallery under my name.

I have found since then that the vacuum switch is also used in the 98-02 Lincoln Continental with floor shift and the brake diaphram is the same on a lot of late 90's on up Ford products with a foot E-brake assembly. The diaphram hooks into a lever built into the brake assembly.

I did find on a few cars that the white vacuum line may get cut off right where it comes into the car by the firewall. Don't know if that was someone working on a LCM that did that..